Michael Clewley says that BlackBerry10 "Will follow the PlayBook model for mail."
    This would be the smartest thing they could do, though poster on this forum think it is irrelevant to making RIM a relevant company again.

Can you point me to any literature? I can't find any. They should really be selling this point.
    11-24-12 03:45 PM
    You should really check facts before pontificating and spreading misinformation. RIM has published lots of information on how BIS works with POP email. It polls every 15 minutes. Read this please. You may learn something interesting.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-4.2-US.pdf
    Yes, the NOC does the polling then if it finds any new emails it will the push them to the BlackBerry. The BlackBerry itself does never do any polling, that's the big difference.
    11-24-12 03:47 PM
    People do care. The consumer market has ignored RIM. They have lost 90% of their market share and 90% of their market capitalization because they sell a vastly inferior product compared to an iphone or Android.
    Sorry, but if Activesync support over BIS is the major thing that RIM gets wrong with BB10 .. then I'm going to jump for joy come Jan '13 because the fact of the matter is that most of the average users out there don't care about this. They care more about the ecosystem than anything else and that's what RIM needs to focus on. Sorry but I don't share your concern that if BIS doesn't support Activesync it's lights out for RIM.. they've got bigger tasks to address. I think the ramification for RIM based on your original thread title is way too severe for this lack of feature that you have an issue with.
    kacantrell likes this.
    11-24-12 03:56 PM
    If anyone thinks email limitations will kill BB10 they are delusional. Anyway E92Vancouver, it appears you already have a bias against a platform which isn't even out yet to critique. Lets see how BB10 is, where it is weak, where it is good. If current BB's were so terrible at emails would they still be used in the corporate world at all? Also you stated phones with keyboards are useless, they are a big enough niche and I would luv a BB10 device with a full QWERTY keyboard...
    kacantrell likes this.
    11-24-12 03:56 PM
    If anyone thinks email limitations will kill BB10 they are delusional. Anyway E92Vancouver, it appears you already have a bias against a platform which isn't even out yet to critique. Lets see how BB10 is, where it is weak, where it is good. If current BB's were so terrible at emails would they still be used in the corporate world at all? Also you stated phones with keyboards are useless, they are a big enough niche and I would luv a BB10 device with a full QWERTY keyboard...
    Fair enough.

Regarding your corporate world comment, every few weeks there is an announcement like this:

US NTSB Dumps RIM’s Blackberry For Apple : The Droid Guy
    11-24-12 04:03 PM
    Sorry, but if Activesync support over BIS is the major thing that RIM gets wrong with BB10 .. then I'm going to jump for joy come Jan '13 because the fact of the matter is that most of the average users out there don't care about this. They care more about the ecosystem than anything else and that's what RIM needs to focus on. Sorry but I don't share your concern that if BIS doesn't support Activesync it's lights out for RIM.. they've got bigger tasks to address. I think the ramification for RIM based on your original thread title is way too severe for this lack of feature that you have an issue with.
    Are you referring to the lack of apps in your ecosystem statement?
    11-24-12 04:04 PM
    E92Vancouver you are correct that more and more companies have ditched BB's in favor of other platforms in the corporate world, but good QWERTY keyboards, notifications, and emails (yes, emails!) have made many companies still reluctant to give up on BB's. A modern OS such as BB10 can have RIM reclaim its minor losses in the corporate world and regain its much larger losses in the consumer world, and in addition, create new fans of BB like never before, which is still very possible for all the major platforms since the smartphone industry is a still rapidly growing industry...
    11-24-12 04:07 PM
    Yes, the NOC does the polling then if it finds any new emails it will the push them to the BlackBerry. The BlackBerry itself does never do any polling, that's the big difference.
    Which is exactly what he said earlier. The disagreement was about the speed at which the POP email is received.
    11-24-12 04:08 PM
    Are you referring to the lack of apps in your ecosystem statement?
    Aww, yes. It what RIM's been focusing on over the last several months with developers. You know .. BBJam and the like.
    11-24-12 04:09 PM
    Fair enough.

Regarding your corporate world comment, every few weeks there is an announcement like this:

OK these kind get posted somewhere by someone. Do these same places post an article about every new organization that joins? I doubt it. I doubt it can be found anywhere but you're good at finding things so can you find anything?
    11-24-12 04:10 PM
    I could care less about all this. I just want to know if my gmail/Hotmail can be used through official apps rather than the native email. I hate native email. I hate it on all my devices and I hate it on PC's because for years I've yet to see one native email program/client not F-up connecting to my Gmail or Hotmail account at some point. Give me an official app for my mobile devices and the website for PC's thank you very much. Furthermore, if I do use an app rather than the native email, I should be able to see incoming emails in the BB10 'hub' just as I would if using the phone's native email. If not, those are deal breakers for me.

Another deal breaker is data plans. I'm grandfathered on a wicked smartphone plan. If BB10 requires me to switch to a "Blackberry data plan" like our carriers in Canada currently use for BB phones rather than the standard voice/text/data plans they use for Android/iPhone then I will moist definitely not buy a Blackberry device because no new BB data plan can hope to match what I'm currently on.
    11-24-12 04:11 PM
    Fair enough.

I'm getting confused with this thread. Is thread about Activesync not on BIS having RIM fail miserably in mobile tech or everything else which is currently wrong with the current BB phones which RIM is addressing in BB10?
    11-24-12 04:12 PM
    I could care less about all this. I just want to know if my gmail/Hotmail can be used through official apps rather than the native email. I hate native email. I hate it on all my devices and I hate it on PC's because for years I've yet to see one native email program/client not F-up connecting to my Gmail or Hotmail account at some point. Give me an official app for my mobile devices and the website for PC's thank you very much. Furthermore, if I do use an app rather than the native email, I should be able to see incoming emails in the BB10 'hub' just as I would if using the phone's native email. If not, those are deal breakers for me.

Another deal breaker is data plans. I'm grandfathered on a wicked smartphone plan. If BB10 requires me to switch to a "Blackberry data plan" like our carriers in Canada currently use for BB phones rather than the standard voice/text/data plans they use for Android/iPhone then I will moist definitely not buy a Blackberry device because no new BB data plan can hope to match what I'm currently on.
    So what are you saying? You will never upgrade your rooted Atrix bc you will have to give up your current data plan? Seems kinda delusional to me, you probably will eventually be forced by your carrier to give up your current data plan to upgrade to a newer smartphone regardless of what platform it is on,,,
    11-24-12 04:15 PM
    I agree! Keyboards are for the dinosaurs that comprise 5% of the market and never upgrade their phones. A keyboard phone is a waste of time. Nobody wants them. The market has spoken.
    I'm a happy dinosaur.
    11-24-12 04:21 PM
    I'm a happy dinosaur.
    Right now "I too am happy dinosaur.. me think me am a T-rex"...
    kbz1960 and gokulesh like this.
    11-24-12 04:24 PM

?? isn't an app the same thing as native email but only not a native app for email?
    11-24-12 04:24 PM
    I would be a very happy dinosaur with a QWERTY keyboard like the one on the Bold 9900 but on a BB10 device.
    kacantrell likes this.
    11-24-12 04:25 PM
    E92Vancouver you are correct that more and more companies have ditched BB's in favor of other platforms in the corporate world, but good QWERTY keyboards, notifications, and emails (yes, emails!) have made many companies still reluctant to give up on BB's. A modern OS such as BB10 can have RIM reclaim its minor losses in the corporate world and regain its much larger losses in the consumer world, and in addition, create new fans of BB like never before, which is still very possible for all the major platforms since the smartphone industry is a still rapidly growing industry...
    Well, I am hoping. There are a lot of things I like about my Blackberry that they do much better than Android and iOS.
    11-24-12 04:30 PM
    Aww, yes. It what RIM's been focusing on over the last several months with developers. You know .. BBJam and the like.
    Apps are a little over rated. I have over 150 apps on my iOS and Android and it is a bit of a pain in the a$$. Everyday my phone is crippled while 50 or 60 apps get updated.
    11-24-12 04:33 PM
    so how is this discussion different from calling BB10 a relic before anybody has even tried it?
    diegonei likes this.
    11-24-12 04:37 PM
    Although I believe E92Van came here to troll, I will say that proper activesync support over BIS is important for me. I have asked the question repeatedly and no one can answer it. All RIM cares about and talks about is the corporate experience. As I am no longer with a corporation on BES I find my email experience to SUCK, I am currently due for an upgrade and have heard nothing that makes me think I should hold off for BB10. I am seriously thinking of going WP8 in about 2 weeks.
    11-24-12 04:44 PM
    Apps are a little over rated. I have over 150 apps on my iOS and Android and it is a bit of a pain in the a$$. Everyday my phone is crippled while 50 or 60 apps get updated.
    Yes but unfortunately if you talk to any Android or Apple user out there .. that the issue that always gets thrown back in RIM's face is. . Not enough and not the key apps (Skype, Netflixs, etc.) are present on the BB phones and tablets. I'm not too worried about communication on BB10 because I think for the most part they got it right with their unified inbox, I'm not worried about the browser cause that seems like it'll be spot on, gaming will be great as we've already seen, the virtual keyboard seems like it'll be exceptional as well as the cameras, it'll have the BB features that BB users have come to know and love and the hardware with the OS will make the device fast and efficient. It seems that most features of a smartphone will excel as compare to the other smartphones on the market.. but its the apps or possible lack of apps that people will use to derail the device... and for me that's a valid concern for RIM.
    kbz1960, howarmat and kacantrell like this.
    11-24-12 04:51 PM
    Although I believe E92Van came here to troll, I will say that proper activesync support over BIS is important for me. I have asked the question repeatedly and no one can answer it. All RIM cares about and talks about is the corporate experience. As I am no longer with a corporation on BES I find my email experience to SUCK, I am currently due for an upgrade and have heard nothing that makes me think I should hold off for BB10. I am seriously thinking of going WP8 in about 2 weeks.
    I did not come here to troll. But you can cherish your opinion. I have read everyone's comments and have posted sincere answers where warranted. I have not insulted anyone, nor have I been inflammatory.

I just want to know if BB10 will support ActiveSync before I buy next phone which could be before January 30th if I have no reason to wait.
    11-24-12 05:12 PM
    Yes, I am aware of this. This is one way synchronization. When you delete an email on your PC is it deleted from your Berry? If you mark an email on your PC as read, is it marked as read on your Berry? The answer is no. This is two way sync.
    I have an ancient, archaic, OS 5 9550. It is not a corporate phone and never has been, and I got the thing for free. I just deleted on my PC and it deleted on my phone within 30 seconds.

So...the answer for me is yes and has been for YEARS now. Maybe I'm missing something here?
    11-24-12 05:13 PM
    Yes but unfortunately if you talk to any Android or Apple user out there .. that the issue that always gets thrown back in RIM's face is. . Not enough and not the key apps (Skype, Netflixs, etc.) are present on the BB phones and tablets. I'm not too worried about communication on BB10 because I think for the most part they got it right with their unified inbox, I'm not worried about the browser cause that seems like it'll be spot on, gaming will be great as we've already seen, the virtual keyboard seems like it'll be exceptional as well as the cameras, it'll have the BB features that BB users have come to know and love and the hardware with the OS will make the device fast and efficient. It seems that most features of a smartphone will excel as compare to the other smartphones on the market.. but its the apps or possible lack of apps that people will use to derail the device... and for me that's a valid concern for RIM.
    You hit the nail on the head. Also, yes, BB's are fast and efficient. As you mentioned, all I care about are the key apps such as Netflix and Skype. I am sure BB10 will run these.
    11-24-12 05:14 PM
273 ... 23456 ...