It's really a matter of the pretentious BlackBerry owners who had only a trendy interest in BlackBerry hardware and then abandoned it for the next big thing that gave BlackBerry such a negative appearance to the public. BlackBerry refused to change and mimic what everyone else was doing mostly because they had millions of customers already established, and like a good company, they stayed loyal to their userbase and didn't yank the rug out from under their feet with a major OS change since the one they had was proven to work and made everyone happy. If anyone has been paying close attention like a true BlackBerry fan would, the gradual improvements to the BlackBerry OS has been not only a smooth transition fof the long time faithful, it's also given BB time to adjust to a healthy mix of what the customers wanted AND what kind of operating system they could build that would distinguish them from the rest. Though the BB phone users have no clue yet, all of us PlayBook owners have OS 2.1, which is a precursor to the finished product of BB OS 10, and we can say without a doubt that RIM has pulled out all the stops at this point. I honestly don't think Apple and Google won't know what hit them, but then neither of those companies listened to their customers when they complained about bad antenna issues and getting rid of Adobe Flash Player....oh, wait a minute! Weren't both companies guilty of turning their backs on Adobe? What the were they thinking?

A healthy mix of what the customer wanted? Which customers exactly? The 5% left in NA? Ya..that turned out real well for RIM. Marginal upgrades to keep their existing customers happy led to their near demise.

As for Adobe Flash..I hate to break it to you, but it's pretty much dead. Yes..it's still available now, but in a few more years, seeing's how Adobe doesn't even support it anymore, there will be no more Flash. And for those customers who may have complained about the "antenna" issue..it didn't seem to hurt Apple sales whatsoever.
    11-12-12 09:31 AM
    Just don't forget email spam isn't malware. And yes not everyone is going to be infected just like not everyone is infected using windows.
    It wasn't just email spam though. JaredCo apps spammed text messages to people who were in the BB contacts..and in some cases costing $$$. I've never had any of these issues with any Google Playstore apps in over 2 years. In those 2 years, i've read nothing but warnings from people on here about how bad malware is on Android (from people who have no clue about anything beyond the BB platform) and yet, i've yet to read or hear of any first hand instances of it from anyone on any forum. But I sure heard LOTS about JaredCo..
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-12-12 09:37 AM
    Your personal experience is not a barometer for the entire platform.

As they say, it's just a matter of time: malware LOL

Could explain why there are more than 8 pages of antivirus/anti-malware programs on googleplay.

Android is the Window 98 of mobile, its everywhere and and Google doesn't give a damn about security, just like MS back in the day.
    Android doesn't care about security...so there are 8 pages of antivirus/antimalware apps in google play...what? So if BB is so secure by design, why are there 10 antivirus/antimalware apps in bb app world?

Android (or any platform for that matter) is only as safe as it's user. If you're not a complete ignorant !diot, you can keep your info safe on Android just fine. Don't download any apps outside of google play. Don't download apps that don't have the Editor's Choice or Top Developer approvals. Change your passwords often (good advice for ANYTHING).
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-12-12 09:43 AM
    I want RIM to succeed with BB10 more than anyone, but to call Android garbage is the same myopic view that Lazaridis and Balsillie had that got RIM is this position.
    Completely agree. Had they not rested on their laurels for so long and actually considered "Hmm, maybe the market DOES want to move toward full touch screen devices" or "Hmm, maybe other platforms might be working to become as secure as BB" or "Hmm, maybe people DO want apps instead of an inter-browser experience" or "Hmm, maybe people want MORE than just a terrific email experience" I'm sure things would have looked a lot different for RIM during these past couple of years.
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-12-12 09:54 AM
    Never happened to me so it didn't or won't to others right?

Anyway I did have a jarad co. App on my phone and I myself got emails from them but not one person on my list received an email or text from them. After hearing about others I uninstalled the app and don't purchase their apps anymore. I'm not sure if they still spam or not.
    11-12-12 09:57 AM
    ANDROID is the biggest piece of garbage in the market at the moment. The apps are crap. Usability wise it's too complicated and the operating system isn't streamlined. The hardware side of things is a different story. Over 1000 different Android devices. Security issues? Malware, rooting, phone hijacking. Wait... did google release Wallet? That flopped. Android is an effing joke.
    Have you actually used an Android device longer than picking it up, playing with it, and deciding "I don't understand this, it's crap."? Much of what makes my PB usable comes from Android apps. But because paid Android apps aren't allowed to be converted, I need an Android tablet for work.

Malware: none on Android if you pay attention to security measures. Most situations where security is compromised stems from social engineering. No amount of OS security or apps can fix the person holding the device. Rooting is not an negative, if you know what you're doing, just like jailbreaking iOS or rooting linux to tweak it. But, if you want to use your device in a secure environment, it also needs to be unrooted.

You mention Google Wallet as not succeeding. Which mobile payment system is the defacto standard? It seems to me that no one's succeeded at that yet. So, Google Wallet still has as much chance as any other system. Of course, that's not Android is it? The ideal solution and what Google Wallet has been shooting for is cross platform, including computers.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-12-12 10:05 AM
    Android doesn't care about security...so there are 8 pages of antivirus/antimalware apps in google play...what? So if BB is so secure by design, why are there 10 antivirus/antimalware apps in bb app world?

Android (or any platform for that matter) is only as safe as it's user. If you're not a complete ignorant !diot, you can keep your info safe on Android just fine. Don't download any apps outside of google play. Don't download apps that don't have the Editor's Choice or Top Developer approvals. Change your passwords often (good advice for ANYTHING).
    Mostly sound advice. Except if you are familiar with a developer and some of their add-ons don't clog Google Play, it can be safe to install from other sources. One of my launchers on my Galaxy Tab and the matching widgets actually came from a Kickstarter project before it got into Google Play.

Why 10 security apps? Because people are security conscious & most have no clue which is good and which is bad. And all the programmers want to get some of our money. I have two on my Android tablet. And, since both have expanded their functionality, there are some redundant features. I'm OK with that. Even on the PC, virus and malware definition files aren't 100% the same from one security software company to the next.
    11-12-12 10:26 AM
    FAIL. A KING will always be a KING even when chased out of his castle and dethroned.

The throne seat still awaits its rightfull owner that is all.
    11-12-12 10:30 AM
    Why 10 security apps? Because people are security conscious & most have no clue which is good and which is bad. And all the programmers want to get some of our money. I have two on my Android tablet. And, since both have expanded their functionality, there are some redundant features. I'm OK with that. Even on the PC, virus and malware definition files aren't 100% the same from one security software company to the next.
    Oh I agree. That comment was in response to sinsin07's comment about the 8 pages of antivirus apps on Android. If BB is so secure by design, why would ANY antivirus apps be needed (rhetorical question).
    11-12-12 10:42 AM
    FAIL. A KING will always be a KING even when chased out of his castle and dethroned.

The throne seat still awaits its rightfull owner that is all.
    Thrones are at all times up for grabs, those that rule do so only if their subjects accept and allow it. If a ruler wants to stay in power, measures need to be taken to prevent rival factions from uprising and deposing them.

9930+Tapatalk
    11-12-12 10:52 AM
    Your personal experience is not a barometer for the entire platform.

As they say, it's just a matter of time: malware LOL

Could explain why there are more than 8 pages of antivirus/anti-malware programs on googleplay.

Android is the Window 98 of mobile, its everywhere and and Google doesn't give a damn about security, just like MS back in the day.
    Considering that personal experience is spread over 3 years...

It's like a computer. You have to be careful what you put on it.

Look at JaredCo.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-12-12 10:56 AM
    It wasn't just email spam though. JaredCo apps spammed text messages to people who were in the BB contacts..and in some cases costing $$$. I've never had any of these issues with any Google Playstore apps in over 2 years. In those 2 years, i've read nothing but warnings from people on here about how bad malware is on Android (from people who have no clue about anything beyond the BB platform) and yet, i've yet to read or hear of any first hand instances of it from anyone on any forum. But I sure heard LOTS about JaredCo..
    Thank you. Just because there's 8 pages of "malware and anti virus in the app store" doesn't mean it's needed. I mean, there's quite an industry on car protection and anti theft measures, and yet using common sense (locking the doors) I've never had a car stolen in 20 years of driving. Just because there is protection available doesn't mean it's necessary. That's the same paranoia the NRA have been thriving on for years with their frightening rhetoric, "from their cold dead hands" and all that BS.

It's all common sense, but there is a lot of pointless fear mongering happening towards android. "ZOMG YOU WILL GET VIRII!! ELEVENTY"

It's like how the us media uses fear to push agendas. And it's ridiculous.

11-12-12 11:05 AM
    On JaredCo, I have used some of their apps and haven't got spammed. Of course that doesn't mean they don't spam, and it also means not all their apps are spammers. The apps permissions play a big role on how they behave on your device. Most often, apps will require permissions far beyond their scope, and to provide such permissions is beyond idiotic.

By the way, isn't HTML5 being recommended to be used instead of Flash?
    11-12-12 11:10 AM
    On JaredCo, I have used some of their apps and haven't got spammed. Of course that doesn't mean they don't spam, and it also means not all their apps are spammers. The apps permissions play a big role on how they behave on your device. Most often, apps will require permissions far beyond their scope, and to provide such permissions is beyond idiotic.

By the way, isn't HTML5 being recommended to be used instead of Flash?
    Yes. That doesn't stop the teeth gnashing about Flash though, like it's the end all be all.

11-12-12 11:20 AM
    Yes. That doesn't stop the teeth gnashing about Flash though, like it's the end all be all.

As long as we have a replacement coming or even a working alternative I don't think it's much of a problem. Undoubtedly, many techies will prefer HTML5 over Flash anyday.
    11-12-12 11:28 AM
    As long as we have a replacement coming or even a working alternative I don't think it's much of a problem. Undoubtedly, many techies will prefer HTML5 over Flash anyday.
    I'm not so sure. That depends on how many of us go to small sites that use flash and aren't as likely to "upgrade" as quickly as the big guys do. For instance the church that I help at streams services and some events. The choices are Win Media, Flash or audio. My 9810 doesn't seem to like the version of Win Media file they create and you miss things like diagrams if you go for audio only. Because of that, I'm not ready to hang with a device that doesn't still support Flash.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-12-12 11:58 AM
    I want RIM to succeed with BB10 more than anyone, but to call Android garbage is the same myopic view that Lazaridis and Balsillie had that got RIM is this position.
    I'd have to say that anybody who calls Android garbage has never used it. Calling it garbage is just idiotic fanboy behavior. My wife has a Galaxy S2, and I've had the chance to use it a little bit. I've rooted it, installed custom ROMs and kernels, and played around quite extensively with the functionality. Android is a really nice platform. It has tons of features, and great tie-in to Google services (which is really important to many people, including myself). While the interaction paradigm isn't the best (BB10 is so much better at that, in my opinion), it's a really solid extensible platform, and to call it garbage is disingenuous. There is malware everywhere, for all kinds of platforms. Nothing is immune. The biggest tool against malware is your own brain. Don't install shady apps or apps from shady sources. Installing pirated Android apps? Probably not the smartest thing you can do if you're really concerned about security. It's not hard to bundle nefarious apps with common APKs and then offer them up for free download. The whole JaredCo debacle showed that even BlackBerry can be publicly humiliated by a scam artist, and through BlackBerry App World, even. It's astonishing to me that their apps are still allowed in App World!
    11-12-12 12:34 PM
    BB10 should be the platform that supports both Flash and HTML5 the best. It will be some time before HTML5 replaces Flash completely.
    11-12-12 12:39 PM
    What says html 5 will be virus and malware free?
    11-12-12 12:40 PM
    What RIM has going for it that the Windows phones don't is the tremendous amount of goodwill STILL out there for the BB platform worldwide. BB has a lock in parts of Asia and Africa and will consolidate that hold once they deploy BB10 in those markets. The North American market will be much tougher, but there is enough goodwill out there from old BB loyalists who will definitely give BB10 a good look. If BB10 is as good as advertised, RIM will reel back enough of these loyalists to create a positive buzz for the product. A successful BB10 is also in the interest of the major carriers because this gives them more negotiating space with Apple and Samsung. BB10 will take RIM out of intensive care and give it a fighting chance for survival. What RIM does in survival mode and how they go about upgrading BB10 against what Apple and Google do with IOS and Android will go a long way to determine the long term leader in the smartphone market. The smartphone war war may just be starting with Apple and Google currently ahead of RIM and Windows - stay tuned.
    11-25-12 07:29 PM
    Flash > html 5 any day
    11-25-12 07:46 PM
    My analysis is short and not very deep because it doesn't need to be, IMO. Most agree the BB10 is slightly ahead of the curve in hardware and features if you don't consider the lack of apps, which, we're promised is coming. So that aside, what will make someone join the BB culture? Simply put, it's in the party. If the energy resonates with you, you're gonna get a BB. If not, see ya around.
    02-20-13 07:51 PM
197 ... 678