04-08-15 09:23 PM
    BBOS8 would be a good idea actually given that BB10 is a complete failure.
    Java OS reloaded??

I'm not sure,
    but I guess I'd be on the side of "no thanks, but thanks ..." :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-08-15 10:16 PM
    BBOS8 would be a good idea actually given that BB10 is a complete failure.
    To be blunt, I think if they did that, they'd be bankrupt.

They needed a modern OS. Whether it was Android, Windows Phone or their own, they needed a modern OS that could do the things they'd been trying to get BlackBerry OS to do since 2007 and flailing at. Before their was BlackBerry 7, there was 6. And before that 5. And before that, 4.x releases in response to iOS. They were trying to build an office tower on a foundation meant for a cottage.

Even if BlackBerry 10 is still that tower under construction and missing some of the cottage facade, it has that office tower foundation.

Want an example? Update five apps on BlackBerry OS at once. Watch your device sloooow to a crawl. Then watch it reboot. Then watch it take ten minutes to boot up.

Now do the same thing on iOS, BlackBerry 10, Android or Windows phone. What happens? They update in the background while you do other things and the device doesn't reboot.
    04-08-15 11:08 PM
    I just came to read BelfastDispatcher's replies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    grydlok, Blacklatino and Rello like this.
    04-08-15 11:34 PM
    I just came to read BelfastDispatcher's replies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Same here, was expecting them with the thread's title. Was also not disappointed.
    04-08-15 11:40 PM
    No one ever said the numbers were lies. People moved on. Just saying. Bold was a great device for what it was - a communication device. People just needed much, much more now.
    As a user of a 3+ year old 9810 what do people need that is much, much more? BB10.3.2 still lacks many features of 7.1 (from my phone use) and Link lacks the ability to do selective backups and restores. I am hoping for full feature slider with maybe 10.4 that has the missing parts of 7.1 and Link that works.
    04-08-15 11:59 PM
    So the numbers went down before BB10 was launched? Do you think there was a reason BB10 was launched? It was because RIM at the time of OS7 saw their market share collapsing because people wanted more than what OS7 could offer.

The people that have clung to it are clinging more to the cheap data plans than they are to the phones. I understand you were a fan of OS7 but if you think that if BB would have stayed on the OS7 plan and kept their market share you are dreaming. OS7 is why BB is made fun of. People that aren't aware of BB10 think of Blackberry as an outdated OS with outdated phones. Keeping that OS would have moved their market share to less than it is now.
    Okay, We all agree that the OS7 was outdated, but unfortunately the BB10 is no better and at the end it may be even worst.
    The BB10 still has the lack of app issue (and downloading the apk (or whatever is called) files is not a solution)
    The OS7 had several little things and functions that the BB10 still doesn't have (like the shortcuts, or the auto turn off the radio at night, like several profiles to make the phone in silent mode while the email is turned on, plus other things).
    So, the BB10 has the peak, flow, hub and better browser, but has several issues (we all know all the issues BB10 had and has), plus BB10.3 is unstable, and the users have to learn how to download and install leaks..

At the end, the OS8 could have been improved with better browser, hub, and some other things and would be much better than the BB10, at least, I am sure many diehard bb users would love to buy a new, bigger and better BB Bold with OS8.

BB10 is becoming a shot on the foot.
    04-09-15 12:15 AM
    Okay, We all agree that the OS7 was outdated, but unfortunately the BB10 is no better and at the end it may be even worst.
    The BB10 still has the lack of app issue (and downloading the apk (or whatever is called) files is not a solution)
    The OS7 had several little things and functions that the BB10 still doesn't have (like the shortcuts, or the auto turn off the radio at night, like several profiles to make the phone in silent mode while the email is turned on, plus other things).
    So, the BB10 has the peak, flow, hub and better browser, but has several issues (we all know all the issues BB10 had and has), plus BB10.3 is unstable, and the users have to learn how to download and install leaks..

At the end, the OS8 could have been improved with better browser, hub, and some other things and would be much better than the BB10, at least, I am sure many diehard bb users would love to buy a new, bigger and better BB Bold with OS8.

There's just so much you can do with Java.
    04-09-15 12:30 AM
    To be blunt, I think if they did that, they'd be bankrupt.

They needed a modern OS. Whether it was Android, Windows Phone or their own, they needed a modern OS that could do the things they'd been trying to get BlackBerry OS to do since 2007 and flailing at. Before their was BlackBerry 7, there was 6. And before that 5. And before that, 4.x releases in response to iOS. They were trying to build an office tower on a foundation meant for a cottage.

Even if BlackBerry 10 is still that tower under construction and missing some of the cottage facade, it has that office tower foundation.

Want an example? Update five apps on BlackBerry OS at once. Watch your device sloooow to a crawl. Then watch it reboot. Then watch it take ten minutes to boot up.

Now do the same thing on iOS, BlackBerry 10, Android or Windows phone. What happens? They update in the background while you do other things and the device doesn't reboot.
    Bankrupt for a new BB Bold with OS8 ?
    They might, but I don't think so and I tell you why.

All the OS10 or BB10 did was to turn away the diehard bb heavy users.

You just don't turn off the music while people is dancing... And people that have used blackberry for Years just received a kick in the but with the os10.

I think what many blackberry consumers wanted was a brand new and powerful bb bold with os8 with the tool belt, with new and strong processor 2 or 3gb of ram, etc etc. That would sell like water.
    Something that worked just like before.

What the consumers received?
    BB10 not finished.
    Phone without tool belt
    No apps
    Bad quality control (several quality control issues with the bb10, and passport)
    Bad camera

SO, with the os10 blackberry is still behind the competition because the phones and the OS10 is shi*, and plus the core users are migrating because they don't want this trash...

Yes, what is already bad can be worst.

Plus, blackberry lost the monthly revenue they used to receive from the old blackberry data plans (BIS I think).

I am sorry If I am being too hard on blackberry, but enough is enough.
    parryberry likes this.
    04-09-15 12:54 AM
    Bankrupt for a new BB Bold with OS8 ?
    They might, but I don't think so and I tell you why.

All the OS10 or BB10 did was to turn away the diehard bb heavy users.

You just don't turn off the music while people is dancing... And people that have used blackberry for Years just received a kick in the but with the os10.

I think what many blackberry consumers wanted was a brand new and powerful bb bold with os8 with the tool belt, with new and strong processor 2 or 3gb of ram, etc etc. That would sell like water.
    Something that worked just like before.

What the consumers received?
    BB10 not finished.
    Phone without tool belt
    No apps
    Bad quality control (several quality control issues with the bb10, and passport)
    Bad camera

SO, with the os10 blackberry is still behind the competition because the phones and the OS10 is shi*, and plus the core users are migrating because they don't want this trash...

Yes, what is already bad can be worst.

Plus, blackberry lost the monthly revenue they used to receive from the old blackberry data plans (BIS I think).

I am sorry If I am being too hard on blackberry, but enough is enough.
    BlackBerry will just have to carry on with out you. Please migrate to the PKB phone of your choice.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 02:00 AM
    I don't know, why doesn't Microsoft port everything back to Windows ME?

Posted via CB10
    This guy is good!
    04-09-15 02:56 AM
    BlackBerry will just have to carry on with out you. Please migrate to the PKB phone of your choice.

Posted via CB10
    All these people wanting a BB8 device, cash ready in hand, and we still try to force BB10 down their throats?

BB8 doesn't have to replace BB10, but it sure as hell make some much needed sales for BB and BIS revenues.

After all, contrary to popular believes, carriers still sell BIS contracts or PAYG plans even if they don't sell devices anymore.
    04-09-15 03:21 AM
    My wife has a Bold 9790 and her contract ended a year ago. She usually upgraded every 2 years.

If there was a new BBOS device she would upgrade to one but there isn't so she's not.

I'm sure she's not the only one in this position.
    And why wouldn't she upgrade to the Classic?

If no one told her it wasn't a "true BBOS" phone, then:

- she might have very well bought it thinking simply that "this is the latest BlackBerry", and thought nothing more about the new UI.

Just like BBOS 5's UI looked very different from BBOS 6 which looked very different from BBOS 7... she may--in fact--have been *expecting* the OS to look and behave differently than the previous version she had. BB10 on a Classic may have been just fine for her.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    david7saad likes this.
    04-09-15 03:27 AM
    Uhh, ...you guys will probably hate me for this, but I support BlackBerry making os 8.

q10 > iCrap
    04-09-15 03:30 AM
    And why wouldn't she upgrade to the Classic?

If no one told her it wasn't a "true BBOS" phone, then:

- she might have very well bought it thinking simply that "this is the latest BlackBerry", and thought nothing more about the new UI.

Just like BBOS 5's UI looked very different from BBOS 6 which looked very different from BBOS 7... she may--in fact--have been *expecting* the OS to look and behave differently than the previous version she had. BB10 on a Classic may have been just fine for her.

Many reasons, but mainly because it's too big, she considered the 9790 big, she was a long time Pearl line user.

And she doesn't like change.

BB6 looked different from BB7? What are you talking about? When is the last time you used either of them?

The other main reason is her work takes her around the country in some very remote areas, areas without 3G. We all know that's where BBOS was at its best.

Edit: not to mention that the Classic is at a much higher price point to what the 9790 was and it also requires a bigger data plan. So she's have to pay at least �15 extra a month compared to what she pays now (�20)
    Sonda Santiago likes this.
    04-09-15 03:38 AM
    Why doesn't Nintendo make the N65.

I'd be all in.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-09-15 03:53 AM
    There's just so much you can do with Java.
    Android apps are coded in Java.... but the Android platform seems to be doing quite a lot with it.

In fact, you can port portions of many BBOS apps to Android without changing a line of code (as long as the code doesn't venture far from the core Java APIs that is) .

Google strongly discourages C/C++ on Android, as these languages generate binaries that may not run on all hardware. Their new ART runtime makes C/C++ almost completely unnecessary even for code that needs to run fast.

So it has nothing to do with Java. It has everything to do with fundamental flaws in the architecture of BBOS.

04-09-15 03:57 AM
    It's pretty easy to romanticize about BBOS8 and its potential when it doesn't exist and therefore the skies the limit.

BB11 does everything BBOS8 can do, just better and faster.
    04-09-15 04:03 AM
    They should have done OS8 in 2012/2013 and started BB10 with 10.2.1 in 2014. The unfinished piece of crap BB10 was until 10.2.1 and the outdated and expensive hardware of the launch devices are the main reasons BB10 never took off (apart from the missing eco system). Now it is too late for OS8 (and perhaps for BB10...).
    04-09-15 04:09 AM

Many reasons, but mainly because it's too big, she considered the 9790 big, she was a long time Pearl line user.

*And she doesn't like change.*
    This sums it up. I mean... technology is ALWAYS changing. Can you really fault a tech company like BlackBerry for updating their technology? We'd still only have the BlackBerry Pager if they did that.

As for her phone preferences: Unfortunately, I can't think of any company releasing Pearl sized keyboard phones anywhere on the planet anymore. I mean, the Pearl 8100/9100 had a 2.2 inch screen, which is beyond small by today's standards. Even the 2007 iPhone had a 3.5 inch screen.

Do you honestly feel there is a large enough market for devices like this in 2015?

eduzojordan likes this.
    04-09-15 04:11 AM
    This sums it up. I mean... technology is ALWAYS changing. Can you really fault a tech company like BlackBerry for updating their technology? We'd still only have the BlackBerry Pager if they did that.

As for her phone preferences: Unfortunately, I can't think of any company releasing Pearl sized keyboard phones anywhere on the planet anymore. I mean, the Pearl 8100/9100 had a 2.2 inch screen, which is beyond small by today's standards. Even the 2007 iPhone had a 3.5 inch screen.

Do you honestly feel there is a large enough market for devices like this in 2015?

Technology is not always changing so drastically, how much has the iphone changed? Anybody can jump from the first iphone to the latest with very little problems.

Technology can and does change underneath, but the experience doesn't have to change.

BBOS had its own problems but the UI wasn't one of them.
    04-09-15 04:27 AM
    Technology is not always changing so drastically, how much has the iphone changed? Anybody can jump from the first iphone to the latest with very little problems.

Technology can and does change underneath, but the experience doesn't have to change.

BBOS had its own problems but the UI wasn't one of them.
    What if someone thinks the original 3.5 inch iPhone is already too big (like your wife and her current BlackBerry) ? Now the only option is a comparatively gigantic 4.7 inch iPhone and a mammoth 5.5 inch model!

And let's not forget that iPhone's are amongst the most costly phones you can buy -- even second hand or refurbished.

Also, the visual look of iOS 8 is vastly different from iOS 1.0--enough so to throw iOS 1.0 users off. Additionally, most of the stock iOS apps have been *massively* updated since version 1.0. The iTunes desktop app from 2007 has also been updated. Now you have to deal with iCloud storage as well.

Yes, you still click an icon to launch an app in both iOS 1.0 and 8 (note: almost all the iOS icons have changed though), but the same can be said about BBOS and BB10.

iOS 1.0
    Attachment 346536

iOS 7
    Attachment 346537
    Last edited by mnc76; 04-09-15 at 05:24 AM.
    04-09-15 05:04 AM
    What if someone thinks the original 3.5 inch iPhone is already too big (like your wife and her current BlackBerry) ? Now the only option is a comparatively gigantic 4.7 inch iPhone and a mammoth 5.5 inch model!

And let's not forget that iPhone's are amongst the most costly phones you can buy -- even second hand or refurbished.

Also, the visual look of iOS 8 is vastly different from iOS 1.0--enough so to throw iOS 1.0 users off. Additionally, most of the stock iOS apps have been *massively* updated since version 1.0. The iTunes desktop app from 2007 has also been updated. Now you have to deal with iCloud storage as well.

Yes, you still click an icon to launch an app in both iOS 1.0 and 8 (note: almost all the iOS icons have changed though), but the same can be said about BBOS and BB10.

iOS 1.0
    Attachment 346536

iOS 7
    Attachment 346537
    It's not the only option, 5S and 5C are still available in case you haven't noticed and only recently they stopped selling the 4S.
    04-09-15 05:30 AM

So you want them to be a feature phone instead of a smartphone?
    04-09-15 05:38 AM
    So you want them to be a feature phone instead of a smartphone?
    Something in between.
    04-09-15 05:41 AM
209 12345 ...