I really don't understand why BlackBerry is considering to use the android os...QNX is an amazing os..i mean why cant they just teak it, and what I mean is allow full access to the google play store instead of the amazon store..really I personally don't agree with them implementing the android os what are your thoughts??

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:05 PM
    IT'S ONLY A RUMOR!

GET OVER IT!

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-03-15 04:06 PM
    So here I think is where they are coming from.

BlackBerry 10 has flopped and no matter what features they add now they can't seem to gain traction.

Android meanwhile aside from ios is the most visible and dominant OS out there. Full of apps for not just games but also productivity, it's open so they can do their version of it practically for free and it offers a suite of apps that they need but cannot currently get on their platform.

It's customizable beyond what BlackBerry 10 currently offers and has a basically endless amount of funding and support for future development.

Do I want a DroidBerry? Nope and I won't be buying it. But I can definitely see where they are going with that idea.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:11 PM
    Yea I mean it really is that simple...they aren't selling jack and they think an Android device will sell better.

If it's true...

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:16 PM
    So here I think is where they are coming from.

BlackBerry 10 has flopped and no matter what features they add now they can't seem to gain traction.

Android meanwhile aside from ios is the most visible and dominant OS out there. Full of apps for not just games but also productivity, it's open so they can do their version of it practically for free and it offers a suite of apps that they need but cannot currently get on their platform.

It's customizable beyond what BlackBerry 10 currently offers and has a basically endless amount of funding and support for future development.

Do I want a DroidBerry? Nope and I won't be buying it. But I can definitely see where they are going with that idea.

Posted via CB10
    +1

I agree with this.

As far as Android goes, I have a Chromebook and I personally carry a Droid 4.3 as my 2nd phone, SO, I do live in GoogleVille part of the time. My daily Driver is still BlackBerry. I prefer Droid over iOS because of the customization you can apply to the phone, the Widgets, the apps for productivity not just play, and the inexpensive hardware compared to iPhones. I had an iPhone for a year and it's just not for me. The plastering of icons on home screens is starting to look dated, because quite frankly it is. iPhone is entrenched in an old GUI, but it has a very loyal following as we know. And with the new Apple Music integration, it's a well rounded package for millions of users.
    07-03-15 04:19 PM
    I really don't understand why BlackBerry is considering to use the android os...QNX is an amazing os..i mean why cant they just teak it, and what I mean is allow full access to the google play store instead of the amazon store..really I personally don't agree with them implementing the android os what are your thoughts??

Posted via CB10
    You understand the GOOGLE Play Store isn't BlackBerry's to use. They have to get permission to use it and Google isn't giving up its greatest assets to a competitor. If you're talking about a BlackBerry backed play store hack that could leave to a business destroying lawsuit. There's one way for play store access and it's join oha and play by googles rules i.e no other operating systems running on the phone.

Pick one

play store access or android runtime. BlackBerry can't have both.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:19 PM
    ....allow full access to the google play store instead of the amazon store

Posted via CB10
    Well, if you did ANY research you would know Google will not allow any access to the Play Store if it's not an approved Android device. BlackBerry OS it not Android and the runtime does not meet the requirements.

What the what?
    07-03-15 04:21 PM
    John Chen knows how to make money on handsets
    07-03-15 04:26 PM
    Well, if you did ANY research you would know Google will not allow any access to the Play Store if it's not an approved Android device. BlackBerry OS it not Android and the runtime does not meet the requirements.

What the what?
    You don't even have to do research.....this has posted by plenty of members on this very site millions of times lol.

How people still miss this beyond me lol

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 07-03-15 at 06:19 PM.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    07-03-15 04:30 PM
    You guys know that when we register our devices to Google Play Services via Cobalt's method (which gives us the Google Play Store), the Google servers see our devices as BlackBerry's and willingly accept them. It just treats them like any other Android. I can go online and actually lookup which Android devices I have synced to my Google account and can see their models, and it sees my Z10 and Passport.

They just don't officially acknowledge it and BlackBerry doesn't officially say anything either. I believe they have added a few things here and there that Cobalt has requested (or they've got someone moderating the Cobalt thread and seeing if he needs more), but mostly he's just been really good at bypassing the "protection" that BlackBerry had to put in to make it so Google wouldn't say anything about it

I could be wrong about a few of the technical details here, but I just wanted to make sure you guys are aware that it's a pretty easy tutorial to get Google Play Services + Store working on BlackBerry10 :\

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    07-03-15 04:41 PM
    You guys know that when we register our devices to Google Play Services via Cobalt's method (which gives us the Google Play Store), the Google servers see our devices as BlackBerry's and willingly accept them. It just treats them like any other Android. I can go online and actually lookup which Android devices I have synced to my Google account and can see their models, and it sees my Z10 and Passport.
    That's because the device self-reports its name. Google Play isn't pulling from a list of known devices or anything.
    07-03-15 04:43 PM
    The problem is chen wants to steer out of the hardware business and focus on software. So why would he continue risking investing money for only the million fan base when developers are pulling out from making apps on amazon appstore and BlackBerry world? Advertising is costly and BlackBerry is on a budget. But if they can get the software going, cut costs and add more profit, they can come back later and possibly save the ailing hardware division.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:59 PM
    Yes. Cut costs. If he can eliminate the cost of developing and maintaining BB10 then hardware can be profitable.

But if they can get the software going, cut costs and add more profit, they can come back later and possibly save the ailing hardware division.
    or keep investing in what he already knows is profitable and completely outsource the hardware.
    07-03-15 05:05 PM
    IT'S ONLY A RUMOR!

GET OVER IT!

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    Where there's smoke...

Posted from an ME173X
    07-03-15 05:20 PM
    I will just use a flip phone forget about android,ios,and windows geez just talk on the phone like it was in the beginning lol

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 05:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    They can't tweak it to make it full access to Google play store. Google play store is proprietary to Google and you have to play by their rule and one of them is that the phone has to run an Android OS

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 05:50 PM
    I will just use a flip phone forget about android,ios,and windows geez just talk on the phone like it was in the beginning lol

Posted via CB10
    While you're at it, go back to using a VCR. CRT TV, dial-up internet, a pager, and NES.

Retro rocks!

Posted from an ME173X
    howarmat and Rello like this.
    07-03-15 05:56 PM
    Yeah, he's really proven that thus far hasn't he.....
    MikeX74 likes this.
    07-03-15 06:05 PM
    im one hoping for an android BB i like the idea of it and honestly from what i have seen on polls on different sites people want it as well. would be good to see what they could sell with a pkb android device no more app gap issues
    07-03-15 06:11 PM
    As a longtime BlackBerry hater, I find myself in the very awkward position of feeling desire for a BlackBerry device. I think BlackBerry is about to get some hypocrite dollars from me . . .

Hopefully they will sell an unlocked version at some point, and hopefully the skin will be inoffensive.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 06:23 PM
    They can't tweak it to make it full access to Google play store. Google play store is proprietary to Google and you have to play by their rule and one of them is that the phone has to run an Android OS

Posted via CB10
    Again, you know we have full access to the Google play store, right..?

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    07-03-15 06:29 PM
    Let's continue the discussion over in the main thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hread-1026964/
    07-03-15 06:39 PM