Patrick, seeing as how I am still considered a kid by legal statutes, I really don't want to spend $20 on this application. Also, I couldn't if I wanted to. Y? Because my parents decided that a smartphone like my blackberry would give me all the help I needed without ADDITIONAL applications installed on it. Their motto, "There is no need for more stuff on the things you buy. The reason the developers didn't add it was because either it wasn't a requirement or they already had the function."
    2 bad for me
    u see?
    05-27-08 07:55 PM
    Patrick, seeing as how I am still considered a kid by legal statutes, I really don't want to spend $20 on this application. Also, I couldn't if I wanted to. Y? Because my parents decided that a smartphone like my blackberry would give me all the help I needed without ADDITIONAL applications installed on it. Their motto, "There is no need for more stuff on the things you buy. The reason the developers didn't add it was because either it wasn't a requirement or they already had the function."
    2 bad for me
    u see?
    Video game consoles?
    05-27-08 08:24 PM
    What r u talking about mettle?
    05-27-08 08:26 PM
    Video game consoles are the epitome of buying hardware while continuing to buy software for it.

Just paralleling the reference you made.
    05-27-08 08:52 PM
    yeah well that 2.
    05-27-08 09:05 PM
    like ScandaLex and ERDude said...i'll rock the ipod in my pocket and my curve in my hand

but i'll prob put some stuff on my curve just for fun
    05-27-08 09:15 PM
    like ScandaLex and ERDude said...i'll rock the ipod in my pocket and my curve in my hand

but i'll prob put some stuff on my curve just for fun
    I did put some stuff on my Pearl; just for phone. and I still prefer my iPod for listening to audio books.
    05-27-08 09:20 PM
    I liked it as a beta, but you know what? I wouldn't pay $40 for it, let alone $20. Not because I am poor, but because I have $700 worth of iPods if I want to listen to music on the go. I imagine there are a lot of people here with iPods too. Why would I pay $40 for something that the iPod does better?
    reeneebob, i have one word for you...... Thank you! Amen! (OK that was three words.)
    05-27-08 09:42 PM
    This is the most entertaining thread I have ever read on crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 09:48 PM
    Some people are being real arrogant with their posts.

The fact of the matter is noone has stated the program is bad or that it stinks everyone said its good or that it didnt offer them anything they needed over the existing media player.

Simple business logic says its better to sell 10 copies at $10 rather then sell 2 copies at $40

make a profit quicker, spead's word quicker, reaches out to a larger group of people (e.g. young adult that posted earlier)
    05-27-08 09:57 PM
    we needa link this on miutunes support forums.
    05-27-08 10:06 PM
    I'm good. I never really used it.
    05-27-08 10:12 PM
    I have read a couple of different threads on this topic. I think Patrick's frustration that was there were from a couple of different users that were bent out of shape because they were not given the free app. Its sad to say but those who cried and wined about it probably did not deserve it anyway.

I also agree with a lot of what amazinggraceless had to say. You had a lot of good points as well.

05-27-08 10:18 PM
    i downloaded the trail version, and... its a nice app, but with the lack of stereo BT remote control fucntion, I'm out. I use that way too much at work and at the gym to not have it. the album art is a bit too picky. a lot of the music that i listen to is too obscure for the app to find it. If the album art was linked to something a little more powerfull like the itunes or MS library and if the remote function of the stereo BT worked, i would buy it... if it were a $20 app. Quite honestly, $40 is out of line for a bb media app. I see that as the developers being a little full of them selves for thinking that it is.

bottom line, and just my $.02...
    It's a great $20 app, but a lacking $40 app.
    Last edited by Mightyjohn; 05-27-08 at 10:30 PM.
    05-27-08 10:25 PM
    I was shocked when I leaned IM+ was $50! Isn't Jive just as good if not more functional?

Dono-maybe there's a parallel in there somewhere.

05-27-08 10:33 PM
    I was a beta tester and have been traveling so I hadn't heard about the $40 (or $20 for testers), either is far too much. Nice program, but without the integration, no way. Especially when something like empower or bbsmart are only $35! If RIM bought them and integrated it into the media players, that would work.

05-27-08 11:19 PM
    I was a beta tester as well, and was fully planning on buying it, until i saw that it didn't play well with my S9 controls, AND was going to be $40, or $20 for me (i never expected to get a free license)

The main thing is that.. i have an ipod nano, 8gb. I will use that for storing songs, and when i feel like having a "pretty" media player.

I use the BT stereo headset, and the FF/REW and pause controls not working on the headset itself is basically what swayed me from purchasing it. I decided i was not going to purchase it, PRIOR to the price release, although that solidified the direction i was leaning in.

I put my BB on my toolbox, and can walk around the shop with my S9, and it works flawlessly. I don't want my BB strapped to me while crawling around cars and an all greased up, thats why i got a small ipod dock for my toolbox.

The only media i put on my BB is the Opie and Anthony show, as it changes every day, so i throw that on my BB, and then listen for 4 hrs. Other than that, i use my iPod

It's a very nice app, Not better or worse than the included media player, but different.
    05-27-08 11:46 PM
    I tested it and submitted numerous comments and even some library files at the request of the developers. I spent a fair amount of time installing each beta update, rebuilding the library, testing the functions and submitted reports. I think it is a fine product, but $40 is too much (as I stated in response to one of the survey questions.)

Apparently Simprit agrees, since the app is now available for $29.95 rather than $39.95. Unfortunately, for the beta testers, the price remains $19.95. That amounts to a 25% discount rather than a 50% discount, which is what the beta login page promises.

Frankly, I haven't decided whether or not to get it. Right now, I'm leaning toward not getting it until some of the features suggested by myself and others get implemented. If they made the discount for beta testers a true 50%, i.e. $15, I would probably go ahead and get it and then update it when those features become available.

Bottom line, it's a good product that does some things better than anything else out there and some things not quite as good as the built-in player. How much you want those extra features and can do without some others determines its "value" to you. I will tell you this, I've used Flipside and was not impressed. If you want a media player that allows flipping through album art, Miutunes does that and much more. IMO, at $30, it's a better deal than Flipside at $20.
    05-28-08 05:07 PM
    Objectively, does it really offer anything other than aesthetics?

05-28-08 07:42 PM
    Objectively, does it really offer anything other than aesthetics?

well, if you count basic music player functions

but really, even the pretty part is only ok since most of my music is too obscure for it to find the album art for most of it.
    05-28-08 08:26 PM
    It has a nice slick interface and allows flipping through album art like flipside or the iphone. It allows sorting by album, artist, songs, year and genre. It's the nicest looking player I've used.

Aesthetics aside, it lags a bit behind the standard BB mediaplayer in functionality, in part due to technical limitations in the BB API. Specifically, it cannot accept volume control commands when not in the foreground, it does not support bluetooth headsets and cannot accept stop and go commands from bluetooth or wired headsets, i.e. to pause you have to press a key.

In short, if you want to be able to flip through the artwork of your music, it's a better program than flipside. Otherwise, stick with the BB mediaplayer.
    05-30-08 10:44 AM
    If I want to flip thru artwork, I'd rather do it on my iPod. It cleaner and faster than doing it on a phone.
    05-30-08 11:20 AM
    I actually like you and your posts. That being said, you are starting to border on very condescending.

what we see as a prettied up alternative to what already works, or devices we own that do the job better.

Man. Exactly what I was thinking.
    patrick.waugh is obviously a programmer or similar and is not defending the app or the price. He's defending the ability to make money creating apps.

Do developers deserve to make some good cash, **** ya! Tons!

Now that said. This program is not worth $40 or even $20. It shouldn't even be out of beta yet. The release is rushed, and I don't blame them. It will be short lived and I would have done the same. Blackberry is not dumb. iphone hurts sales and you can bet a snazzy player is really close!

Awesome look and feel, without doubt. But for a small add-on app for a phone, $40 is silly. Its silly for the developer to charge $30. Do the math... @ $10 or $12 he would sell 10x the units easy! Its a great, super cool app, but the price is way off. Even if the phone did not have a built in player, too much. 80% of the general population, or more, would agree. Developer needs to step back and look at volume, not net

Just my sill opinions, naturally
    06-12-08 10:58 PM
    I made a boo boo...

I unintentionally copy/pasted info from an email provided to beta testers for a discount on miutunes. I failed to realized that the info had discount codes for use by beta testers to purchase the software at a further discount than what they initially offered. I just wanted to show that Simprit heard complaints form the community and did what I think, was an excellent job of handling them. Once again I apologize for my error, and thank the person that reported the post, as well as the moderator that brought my mistake to my attention.
    06-13-08 02:45 AM
    Sound like they just price themselves smack dab off the market!

06-13-08 08:08 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD