I've been pondering the US market. I don't worry about the world market.

I work in software so i get a unique picture of things. People I work with actually reserach their phones prior to purchase. Now, if the BB10 is a good technolgoy, some will try it out. If it is impressive, those same people are probably going to be asked about what smart phone to get by others. So there would be a trickle down effect.

So, if BB10 is liek an iPhone on steroids, early adopters will probably adopt it. And if they like it, a trickle down effect will occur.

This is just a thought. But it seems like one pathway towards adoption in the USA.

This is really more of a question for psycologists. What would push people to a new platform?
    07-11-12 06:28 AM
    "The psychology of the masses" Wouldn't hurt, it hasn't hurt Apple has it.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 07-11-12 at 08:17 AM.
    07-11-12 07:05 AM
    I don't worry about the world market.
    I know it's taken out of context, but seriously, this type of sentence is why the rest of the planet (you know we only make up like 95% of the world's population ) thinks Americans are ignorant.

Either way, the idea is valid for every and all countries. What it comes down to is who are the early adopters and what do people think of them... does that person appear to be "cool" to others, that's where the trickle-down effect will come from.

Si.
    07-11-12 07:19 AM
    I know it's taken out of context, but seriously, this type of sentence is why the rest of the planet (you know we only make up like 95% of the world's population ) thinks Americans are ignorant.

Either way, the idea is valid for every and all countries. What it comes down to is who are the early adopters and what do people think of them... does that person appear to be "cool" to others, that's where the trickle-down effect will come from.

Si.
    Thank you for grouping millions into being ignorant. Can we be cool and ignorant at the same time? I guess all people in the rest of the world are brilliant.
    07-11-12 08:05 AM
    No, you want to know what is ignorant? Taking what ONE INDIVIDUAL says is HIS
    mindset and conflating his preference to every other person in his country.

Equally ignorant is somehow thinking YOUR disdain for that persons mindset is
    shared by the rest of the planet.....oh excuse me, the 95% that is not America.
    07-11-12 08:11 AM
    What would push people to a new platform?
    A new platform would need to be just that....NEW. It would have to provide the
    user with an experience that they cannot duplicate on any other platform.

Any company that can do that will have a device and platform that virtually
    sells itself. This is what I am hoping BB10 comes close to being.
    07-11-12 08:15 AM
    at this stage in the current mobility cycle, the OS itself isn't going to provide much of a competitive advantage, there is no evidence that consumers care (or even understand) about things like 'real multi-tasking' or the like. The key selling points are going to be:

* Carrier availability
    * Pricing compared to established platforms
    * Carrier incentives to sales staff to push devices
    * Marketing
    * Compelling ecosystem that is at least as good as the competition

Even then - it will be a scrabble between Windows phone and Blackberry for fourth place behind that mighty powerhouse Bada.

A new platform would need to be just that....NEW. It would have to provide the
    user with an experience that they cannot duplicate on any other platform.
    Doubtful, very doubtful - if the canned demos translate into reality, then it's going to be a very slick, powerful OS but largely cut from the same cloth as the same generation of OSes that we have now in terms of the user experience. Sure it will have its advocates that claims that it's better than everything else on the market but every platform has people like that, most normal people will not see that level of difference - that's why OS itself is not a competitive advantage at the moment (and will not be until the start of the next cycle).

I don't know what the next paradigm shift is going to be but we'll know it when we'll see it and this isn't it.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-11-12 at 08:36 AM.
    07-11-12 08:31 AM
    Doubtful, very doubtful - if the canned demos translate into reality, then it's going to be a very slick, powerful OS but largely cut from the same cloth as the same generation of OSes that we have now in terms of the user experience. Sure it will have its advocates that claims that it's better than everything else on the market but every platform has people like that, most normal people will not see that level of difference.

I don't know what the next paradigm shift is going to be but we'll know it when we'll see it and this isn't it.
    Yeah, I have to concede this point to you as factoring in the average user was not
    part of my thought process but you make a very very valid point.
    07-11-12 08:37 AM
    As the saying goes, "There is nothing new under the sun." I don't believe we will see a completely, "Never been seen" platform. I believe with the advancements of Apple and Google's ECO systems, we need to see devices/OSs heavily integrated with one another, GREAT designs to catch the consumer's eye, heavy North American marketing and strong carrier incentives for reps to push Blackberry devices.

As I said above, just what I believe.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-11-12 08:45 AM
    Looking at the drop off of first-time use of applications on iOS and Android, I think it is a possibility that a time will come when consumers will focus more on device/software interactions and language rather than device/application interactions.

For instance, when you are playing Words With Friends on iOS or Android, you are using your physical device and predominately the application software. The actual device software, the operating system, merely a means of delivery for the actual application. Apple's iOS operating system is set as merely a "slate" or holding place for your applications, which makes it easy to understand and navigate. Android allows for more OS interactions with your device but is merely the same concept.

I think RIM has a chance to bring a device's OS back to the limelight instead of just focusing on how many big apps your OS's app store has. Having cool applications is nice, but if your phone is only given worth by what apps are available then your device has no innate purpose. I think if RIM can show that BB10 allows for a unique style of interactions between applications and communication, we could see a major shift in consumer focus IF THEY MARKET IT RIGHT! Marketing and demonstrations will be key!
    07-11-12 09:04 AM
    i'll get one it'll be august/september 2013 before i do though but i'll def be trying to talk students a teach and freinds and family into getting them as their contracts all come up for renewal as well
    07-11-12 09:06 AM
    When the time comes to replace hardware I will match the available products against my own Must/MustNot specification list, and assess the surviving contenders for practical durability and usability with my rather large hands in a work environment.
    07-11-12 09:24 AM
    Looking at the drop off of first-time use of applications on iOS and Android, I think it is a possibility that a time will come when consumers will focus more on device/software interactions and language rather than device/application interactions.

For instance, when you are playing Words With Friends on iOS or Android, you are using your physical device and predominately the application software. The actual device software, the operating system, merely a means of delivery for the actual application. Apple's iOS operating system is set as merely a "slate" or holding place for your applications, which makes it easy to understand and navigate. Android allows for more OS interactions with your device but is merely the same concept.

I think RIM has a chance to bring a device's OS back to the limelight instead of just focusing on how many big apps your OS's app store has. Having cool applications is nice, but if your phone is only given worth by what apps are available then your device has no innate purpose. I think if RIM can show that BB10 allows for a unique style of interactions between applications and communication, we could see a major shift in consumer focus IF THEY MARKET IT RIGHT! Marketing and demonstrations will be key!
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that - RIM's big problem is time - I'd give it 50/50 at this stage that RIM still exists at an independent company come January 2013. If they do, the next big hurdle will be that BB10 has to report very solid sales for its first full quarter - if they don't, the market will see that as game over, the stock price will tank and then it will be over.

Short version - RIM might have the right idea but could run out of time/cash to convince other people.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-11-12 09:33 AM
    It also depends on how vested other platform users are. For example if an iOS user has spend $200 on apps over the past few years, and they would have to spend roughly the same or more on a new platform, there is little incentive on that perspective.

Depends on the type of shopper they are:
    Brand-aspirational shopper
    Price sensitive affluent shopper
    price value shopper

Those are a few things that affect purchasing decisions on technology.
    07-11-12 09:47 AM
    Thank you for grouping millions into being ignorant. Can we be cool and ignorant at the same time? I guess all people in the rest of the world are brilliant.
    First off, I sincerely appologise that both you and "amazinglygraceless" misunderstood what I was getting at.

I don't believe all Americans are anything, because they are individuals, they can't all be... but that doesn't stop the fact that that type of sentence doesn't help perceptions of Americans to the outside world.
    Yes, we get that you love your country, but throwing out the rest of the globe just cos it isn't America is ... puzzling

Si.
    07-11-12 09:59 AM
    I think if BB10 comes to market, it's going to generate lots of sales out from the frustrated Blackberry fans who are tired of seeing the other platforms outshine their platform of choice because of a larger number of apps, better cameras, etc. These Blackberry fans will be interested to see if this new platform can really hold up in current times, and can it really compete (despite them saying that RIM would not be going against the Iphone and Android),

Word of mouth will surely pass from these fans to the others, if BB10 is indeed the platform that does all the current phones can do and more. They will show their Iphone and Android toting friends their brand new devices, and very soon Blackberry will be perceived by them as a viable option to move over too. The perceived value of Blackberry phones will rise (to bring in an economical term), and people will definitely want to check these phones for when their contract ends.

Mark my words.
    07-11-12 10:03 AM
    When the time comes to replace hardware I will match the available products against my own Must/MustNot specification list, and assess the surviving contenders for practical durability and usability with my rather large hands in a work environment.
    Well, you know what they say about large hands....

Large....
    ....um......
    .....gloves.....

WTH is the matter with my mind these days?!?!??

OK....I will look at the things that I value - security first and foremost, then those functionalities where BB excels. If they are not there because RIM has decided to be cool instead of useful to me for my needs, I will go elsewhere.

As far as convincing anyone else....I don't do that. Any more than I want them trying to convince me.

But who am I kidding....honestly, I will probably buy every BB10 I can get my hands on....
    mzceetee likes this.
    07-11-12 10:07 AM
    First off, I sincerely appologise that both you and "amazinglygraceless" misunderstood what I was getting at.

I don't believe all Americans are anything, because they are individuals, they can't all be... but that doesn't stop the fact that that type of sentence doesn't help perceptions of Americans to the outside world.
    Yes, we get that you love your country, but throwing out the rest of the globe just cos it isn't America is ... puzzling

Si.
    NP. Who is throwing out the rest of the globe? Maybe when it comes to RIM north America or the USA is talked about a lot because they are doing horrible here compared to what they use to. If the rest of the world is fine for RIM then why is the company in such trouble? They should be smooth sailing without care.

OK The world outside of the USA borders hate us because?
    07-11-12 10:14 AM
    There are going to be no entry level bb10 phones for at least 12 months according to what was said at the agm - the emerging markets that are currently buying cheapo curves to use on low-cost data plans are not really relevant to this conversation. In the critical time period, RIm has to show carriers and the market that customers in developed markets will pay premium prices.

In this context it is really is about North America and other current key markets.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Speedygi likes this.
    07-11-12 10:46 AM
    Well even right now I am telling people about BB10. When I get one, (as long as it is good) I will let my friends play around with it and recommend it to them. I obviously would be considerate of their needs and not force them into it, but at least make sure they test it out. I have a pretty big technological infulence among my family and friends.
    07-11-12 06:56 PM
    There are going to be no entry level bb10 phones for at least 12 months according to what was said at the agm - the emerging markets that are currently buying cheapo curves to use on low-cost data plans are not really relevant to this conversation. In the critical time period, RIm has to show carriers and the market that customers in developed markets will pay premium prices.

In this context it is really is about North America and other current key markets.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Right. North America is RIM's main target at the moment since they are already leading in emerging markets and other parts of the world.
    07-11-12 06:58 PM
    I agree with what was said earlier on matching a phone to needs. i love my curve cause it does exactly what i want i didn't want a fancy phone for apps or taking photo i've got a digital camera for that (the pictures that is) and my playbook has to killer apps on it. for a phone i wanted something to easily handles calls, text, email and IM's and for that a blackberry is perfect so much better than anything else i've used so aslong as thats kept in BB10, which is looks like they will be from the shots anyway then i'll quite happy upgrade to one in about a years time.
    07-12-12 04:59 AM
    Right. North America is RIM's main target at the moment since they are already leading in emerging markets and other parts of the world.
    Well yes and no, they are doing *well* in *many* emerging markets at the low-end picking up many subscribers on low value plans and with declining ARPU by selling curves at cost but they are certainly not leading in all emerging markets and they are certainly not doing well anywhere at the premium end.

It's not sustainable in the long-term which is why they are trying to move back up-market.
    07-12-12 05:04 AM

Si.
    Oh? Is that why 95% of the world's population thinks Americans are ignorant? Thank you so much for enlightening us ignorant Americans.

Please see the quote below. By the way, I'm quoting a Canadian there ...... Neil Young. You know us ignorant Americans have never had an original thought of our own.
    Last edited by shaleem; 07-12-12 at 10:36 AM.
    07-12-12 10:28 AM
    the first in this thread stsated "I don't worry about the world market."

According to the leading mobile ad research firm, last December the US market contained 46% of the app users in the world. As of this month, the US accounts for only 26% of the world's app users, with the biggest increases coming in the Chinese and Indian markets, for a combined 22% of the world app market.

You better wake and pay attention to the world market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-12-12 11:26 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD