Was curious about BlackBerry changing focus to the 'prosumer' rather than consumer market. Prosumer, apparently, no longer means what it used to.

The term �prosumer� has transformed from meaning �professional consumer� to meaning �product and brand advocate.� Rather than simply �consuming� products, people are becoming the voices of those products and significantly impacting the success or failure of companies, products, and brands, particularly through their involvement on the social web.

The high level steps to leveraging the power of prosumers are as follows:

1) Identify the key online influencers for your product, brand, business or industry (i.e., the prosumers).
    2) Acknowledge those people (e.g., send product samples, ask opinions, etc.).
    3) Join the online conversation where those people already spend time.
    4)Develop relationships with those people by interacting with them, providing useful information, and being accessible and human.
    5)Leverage the opportunities of the social web by creating your own branded destinations such as a blog, YouTube channel, Twitter profile, Facebook group or fan page, LinkedIn group, podcast, etc.

It seems most of us at Crackberry would be the ideal prosumers.

The Shift from CONsumers to PROsumers - Forbes
    09-21-13 08:06 AM
    If they were going after consumers, prosumers and anyone else that would buy and only sold 3.7 million imagine how low sales will be when they only target one of those markets
    Poirots Progeny, imz and xandermac like this.
    09-21-13 08:11 AM
    Prosumers is the target group BBRY is going after for years now and which doesn't really exist.

Posted via CB10
    Roo Zilla and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-21-13 08:40 AM
    BYOD has already shown what the "prosumer" wants. Basically, if the company doesn't assign you a BlackBerry and make you use it, "prosumers" will choose something else.
    09-21-13 08:42 AM
    If they were going after consumers, prosumers and anyone else that would buy and only sold 3.7 million imagine how low sales will be when they only target one of those markets
    That's a seriously valid point.

Prosumer devices are generally produced in lower quantities and for a higher price; that's everything from motherboards, computer equipment, cameras, laptops or whatever.

If people are not biting now, will they bite then?

I hope so but it is going to be difficult!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    09-21-13 08:52 AM
    SMARTPHONE PROSUMER
    �2013 BlackBerry Ltd
    09-21-13 08:55 AM
    I'd love to be part of the prosumers with a niche market.
    Dare to be different. Besides, nothing is wrong with BB10, only less apps which i don't necessarily use.
    09-21-13 09:02 AM
    Enterprise user = you use a company provided device.

Prosumer = the kind of user that prefer the overall BlackBerry experience (despite lack of apps etc) and go on to sites like CB and learns about sideloading, leaks etc to somewhat make that experience better by loading apps and leaks.

Consumers = kind of users who rely purely on BestBuy sales-rep's recommendation on what to buy

In a nutshell, Prosumer = CrackBerry crowd mainly

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    09-21-13 10:48 AM
    All of you are wrong. Pro-sumers are prostitutes who are consumers. It's a niche market

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 11:54 AM
    A 'Prosumer' is just a business person who is more interested in Docs to Go than Angry Birds, but wants to be able to have both.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-21-13 01:53 PM
    A 'Prosumer' is just a business person who is more interested in Docs to Go than Angry Birds, but wants to be able to have both.
    So basically they're just current iPhone and Android users.
    Hmmmm... I thought Blackberry targeted these people already.

Just more of Blackberry tossing around vague terms to hide the fact that they have no idea what they're doing... like "mobile computing".
    09-21-13 02:02 PM
    You're right
    09-21-13 06:58 PM
    I think a "prosumer" is someone who uses a product for professional or work related activities, or want the features of professional grade equipment in a more affordable package.

Mid range DSLR cameras fit this "prosumer" category nicely. Not cheap like point and shoot or entry-level cameras, but not out of reach like high-end, full frame cameras either.

The trouble is, iPhone 5's and Galaxy S4's fit into the "professional" category, but are offered at consumer prices.

There's effectively no "prosumer" category for phones.
    09-21-13 10:46 PM