- 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM #126
I take family pics and use the different effects, then share them with the list of contacts I've got loaded on the app, in FB and in Twitter.
As far as my groups, I can take a pic and share it with the people in my groups who are in my list.
It's twofold, editing and sharing on my network.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM #127Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM #128Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
- CrackBerry Addict
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM #129
- 758 Posts
For those who say its not just about the filters, then what is it about. Without filters, you are posting an image to Facebook and Twitter through a third-party application - which would be pretty pointless don't you think. Look, I get what Instagram is about now, BUT the relevancy of the social component was an after thought. The filters drove the application (IMO).
I simply call Instagram popular by the Apple effect - if popular on the iPhone, its so cool and unique. When just about every phone has the Instagram filters natively, Instagram will seem extremely useless as you can then skip the third party and upload directly to Twitter or Facebook.
- 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM #130
You are not looking at Instagram outside the restrictive prism of Twitter and FB. Think of it as a social network in ADDITION to FB and Twitter.
I wouldn't even argue that the filtering made it popular, or that there are not better filter apps available. I could also argue that there are better social utilities than FB, but that does change the fact that size makes FB the giant.
In and of itself, Instagram is a popular app that makes BB10 that more attractive.
- 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM #131~Matt
Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB...
- 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM #132
Instagram is the same way, except its a mobile social network. It JUST recently added a web version. And like the previous poster said, Instagram can be used as a standalone app. Within the app you can follow people and be followed. No Twitter or Facebook required.
There will always be a new popular app. Next year there will be a new thing and mobile devices will need to catch up.
- 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM #133
And if it is cool on Apple and cool on Android, why not use it?
Or is it that because it is cool on Apple and on Android, then it should not be on BB?
I have said it a million times before and I'll say it again....
1) Take a pic
2) Apply cool filters to the pic
3) Share the pic
a) on FB
b) on Twitter
c) with people outside my family and *in the flesh* friends but with whom I share an interest
Is it really THAT difficult to understand that it's
1) a filter
2) a sharing app
And I could not care a flying fig which came first, sharing or filters. The point is that it's got both and I use both. And every time I want to use it I have to put my BB down and take out my iPhone or my Skyrocket.
Actually, I lie....increasingly so, the device that has become more and more irrelevant to me is my BB because really all I use it for these days are BBM and banking apps. If my *one* BBM contact who remains from my loved ones would get WhatsApp, I would leave BB where it spends most of its time....at the bottom of my bag or in my kitchen drawer.
*IT* has become irrelevant.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- CrackBerry Addict
12-02-2012, 06:23 PM #134
- 758 Posts
Also, I will say that Twitter and Facebook are worlds of difference. Twitter is trend/topic based conversations. It's all about the chatter. There's not sharing your entire life on Twitter like on Facebook. Lets save this for another forum.
- 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM #136
Seriously? That's the argument you're going with? OK....you go with that.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-02-2012, 07:00 PM #137
- 458 Posts
- K Ink Wink
I don't see why this topic ran for 6 pages. When people say RIM is behind, it's true because BBOS doesn't have features the competitors provide as standard fitment. RIM did fall behind for other reasons of course, but it's true it still doesn't have Instagram, Netflix, Skype and so on.
For the apologists who say we don't use/require/need/feel it, there are others who use/require/need/feel it. Nobody is forcing you folks to use it. H3ck, it's like saying my 1980 civic only plays the radio because I don't use/require/need the flash drive (when it indeed doesn't have the function). Choice is the democratic way of life. Folks can use this choice to accept or deny something, but cannot deny that choice.Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?
-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
- CrackBerry User
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM #139
- 39 Posts
It's clear that some people in this thread don't know what what Instagram fully is.
Facebook did not pay $1 billion for Instagram because it needed a photo filter/editor.
Instagram is a photo-sharing app, and more importantly, a self contained, widely popular social network.
It's an app that epitomizes the power of mobile, and using apps strictly for content delivery. At the time of acquisition Instagram had 30 million registered users. Making it widely popular, and the #5 social network.
Basically, RIM absolutely must get apps of this caliber of popularity on board, or BB10 is crippled out the gate. It's not negotiable or optional. It's absolutely a must.
- 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM #140
Who needs email on a phone? I never use it. I can send the same message in a text message. If I wanted email I would just wait until I got home and turned on my computer..........
- 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM #142Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
- 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM #143
One thing I don't like about Facebook is that if you click on someone's profile or picture that you don't have as a friend, it suggests you to them as someone you might know. I also think it's weird that it suggests people you have one mutual friend with. But that doesn't keep me from using Facebook.
Same with Twitter. It suggests people that my friends are following. That doesn't necessarily mean I want to follow them as well. I still use Twitter.Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM #145
- 13,081 Posts
- 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM #146
We're getting off topic, lol.
- 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM #147Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM #148
- 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM #149
- By jakeslife in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 02-12-2009, 07:25 PM
- By Smahie in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 10Last Post: 12-04-2008, 06:25 AM
- By DuLac in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 6Last Post: 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
- By troe11 in forum Legacy Leaked/Beta OSReplies: 3Last Post: 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
- By chris.larson in forum IntroductionsReplies: 7Last Post: 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM