I posted a thread a couple of days ago about how I have had a Pearl since January and I love it. I made my final decision on the Pearl based on the smaller size. However, since the first few weeks of having it I have obsessed about having a Curve. I've adjusted to the SureType keyboard but I long for the QWERTY keyboard and I want the larger screen!

I am obsessed about this, but Curves are about $420 and I just don't want to spend that now.

In the previous thread I mentioned that one of my ideas was adding a new line to our family plan (the Curve) and getting rid of the data plan on the Pearl and basically just stick it in a drawer somewhere and pay $9.99 until the contract is up on that line. Won't work. Verizon requires data plans on Blackberry's. That would be too much to pay for a phone that I don't use. Then, someone asked me if I had an unused Verizon phone and I do!

This is what I am in the process of doing. I'm nervous! I ordered a new line to our family plan. A Curve. Once I get it I will get my Pearl's phone# activated on the Curve. The new phone# that came with the Curve I will have activated on my unused Verizon phone with clean ESN so that I won't have to pay for a data plan. I hope to be paying $9.99 per month for that phone that won't be getting used just so I can have my Curve.

Crazy, I know, but do you think it will work? If it doesn't, I am going to have a wicked phone bill each month.
    Last edited by redhed515; 06-04-08 at 08:46 PM.
    06-04-08 08:37 PM
    Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a data plan to have a BlackBerry. It is advised, and the higher ups at Verizon want the reps to force them on you for higher profits, as well as to protect you from bills in the thousands. The alternative is to request a data block on that particular line, and it will satisfy the need for a data plan.

Basically, when a PDA or BlackBerry is on a line, the system needs to see one of three things attached. 1 is a data plan, 2 is a pay per use data feature, and 3 is a block. As long as one of those three are present, the system will allow everything to be all good. Don't let them bully you into something that isn't true. I know this because I went through it like 2 years ago.
    06-04-08 08:45 PM
    Have some faith, it'll work I tell ya. Trackin it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 08:48 PM
    i was told by a rep at the Sprint store (a lead no less) that it was required. Then I talked to three more people who said it wasn't necessary. I was able to KEEP my old "Free and clear plan" that had more minutes than had I upgraded to a new package but I just added on the BB pack extra. I was even able to keep my work discount that way. Had I upgraded to the new "Everything" plan, they would have taken that away from me. I was told that the upgraded BB pack wasn't required in other words.

When in doubt, get a few opinions like you're doing now. Wish I had verizon so I could really give you some info though

Good luck
    Last edited by flchick75; 06-04-08 at 08:58 PM.
    06-04-08 08:54 PM
    I''m thinking of doing this same thing with AT&T when the Bold comes out. My question is....since I'm with AT&T, I have a sim card. Is my data plan associated with the sim card or the phone? In other words, can I skip the data plan on the Bold and just pop in the sim card from my Curve and use the Bold as I do my Curve or will I need a 2nd data plan?

Also, is the phone number of the device dependent upon the sim card that is in the device?
    06-04-08 08:55 PM
    i was told by a rep at the Sprint store (a lead no less) that it was required. Then I talked to three more people who said it wasn't necessary. I was able to KEEP my old "Free and clear plan" that had more minutes than had I upgraded to a new package but I just added on the BB pack extra. I was even able to keep my work discount that way. Had I upgraded to the new "Everything" plan, they would have taken that away from me. I was told that the upgraded BB pack wasn't required in other words.

When in doubt, get a few opinions like you're doing now. Wish I had verizon so I could really give you some info though

Good luck
    A BlackBerry specific data plan is required to make use of BlackBerry services, such as push mail. In essence, if you can slip it by them, you can use a standard data plan, you just won't have access to the BlackBerry specific services. Your two options when it comes to BlackBerry are usually to get the specific BB data plan, or to get a data block. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying...

I''m thinking of doing this same thing with AT&T when the Bold comes out. My question is....since I'm with AT&T, I have a sim card. Is my data plan associated with the sim card or the phone? In other words, can I skip the data plan on the Bold and just pop in the sim card from my Curve and use the Bold as I do my Curve or will I need a 2nd data plan?

Also, is the phone number of the device dependent upon the sim card that is in the device?
    Your info is tied to the SIM, not the device. If you swap your SIM to the new Bold, everything, including your data plan, will carry over. After the swap, you will need to log into your BIS page from a desktop computer to register the device change so your mail will be directed to the correct device however.
    06-04-08 09:08 PM

If you get the 9000, you CAN just drop your SIM in, but you need to switch devices in the BIS, so that the 9000 PIN is now associated with your BIS.
    06-04-08 09:10 PM
    Thanks Crazetoon and CJ. Thats just what I wanted to hear!
    06-04-08 09:10 PM
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-04-08 at 09:16 PM.
    06-04-08 09:12 PM
    And to the OP, they will tell you that you need a plan, but its not absolutely necessary.
    06-04-08 09:13 PM
    I was using a Curve with my regular Earthling ATT plan, no BB service, nothing beyond the Basic Media Package.

I just liked the phone.

Alas it was borrowed and I did the upgrade for my own phone and added BB service to get the push email and unlimited data

But that was with a SIM card..........

On a sidenote the BB showed up in my online ATT (not BB) account so at some point the system recognizes the hardware.

Still worked fine with boring plan

06-04-08 09:14 PM
    I did a similar thing with my plans, but I'm with Sprint so it might be a little different. If you're like me and are really not going to use the spare line, then it won't matter if it's your really old phone or your pearl. Just tell the rep what you want to do and they'll tell you what they can do and if they can swap the numbers and keep only one berry plan or if you'll need the 3rd device.
    06-04-08 09:32 PM
    Something else to keep in mind... Instead of tossing your pearl in a drawer, try selling it on craigslist or ebay, to offset the cost of an additional line on your family plan. Just DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE SIM!! <- Important!
    06-04-08 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD