I see reports where millions of iPads have been sold and millions of android tablets are being produced and sold. Soon the BB Playbook will be thrown into the fray. My question is: Where are they, who's buying them and for what purpose?

I'm in the restaurant business and we have free Wifi. I've seen one person walk in with an iPad. I see iPhones and Droid phones all the time. Interestingly enough, I rarely see a BB phone. I never, ever, see a person walking around with an iPad. I live in a fairly large metropolitan area with well over a million people and you just don't see people walking around with tablets.

Let's face it, they are not really all that portable. You just can't put them in your pocket and go on with your business. You have to have some kind of carrying case or bag to tote them around in. Very inconvenient if you ask me, for something that is touted to be so portable.

I don't see them ever replacing desktops or even laptops as a main work station. What are people using them for besides making silly facebook or twitter posts.

How do you use your iPad, Android Tablet or, soon to be released, Playbook?
    03-11-11 10:53 AM
    You just explained why I don't want a 10" tablet. it's not really all that portable. I'm going to get a 7"
    03-11-11 11:03 AM
    I've thought this same thing. I go to book stores and Starbucks all the time. I see people with e-readers and laptops all the time but have never seen anyone with a tablet. Are they only using them at home? Seems silly to me if they are.
    03-11-11 11:10 AM
    i would take one and sit in a coffee shop for a morning or afternoon. Take it to work for long nightshifts and such. you wont take one everywhere but there are many situations you can/would
    03-11-11 11:16 AM
    i would take one and sit in a coffee shop for a morning or afternoon. Take it to work for long nightshifts and such. you wont take one everywhere but there are many situations you can/would
    and how are u going to carry it? tucked under an arm?
    03-11-11 11:18 AM
    really is that a serious question?
    03-11-11 11:24 AM
    With a 7 inch it will be less of an issue, it's about the size of a book. I think women will put them in their handbag. Men will carry it in a bag also possibly (IT'S A EUROPEAN CARRYALL!!!!), and like a book under the arm, in their hands, or in their jacket pocket. An Ipad is just too big for this.
    03-11-11 11:28 AM
    With a 7 inch it will be less of an issue, it's about the size of a book. I think women will put them in their handbag. Men will carry it in a bag also possibly (IT'S A EUROPEAN CARRYALL!!!!), and like a book under the arm, in their hands, or in their jacket pocket. An Ipad is just too big for this.
    I'm not concerned with a 7" being difficult to carry around, but a 10" for me, is simply too large and I don't even like using a 10" at home, due to the weight. I want something that is light enough to hold more than I want a tablet that needs to rest on a support surface.
    03-11-11 11:33 AM
    really is that a serious question?
    yes. are u going to sport a man bag? a back pack? just to carry a 10" tablet around?
    03-11-11 11:35 AM
    I don't really see people with them either.... which I find interesting as well.

I am happy just to use my phone for what I need to do, even at home with computers available.
    03-11-11 11:37 AM
    Regardless of the 7" vs 10" debate, of the millions sold, where are they?
    03-11-11 11:39 AM
    yes. are u going to sport a man bag? a back pack? just to carry a 10" tablet around?
    its like the size of a magazine....its not hard to carry to the car and then into the coffee shop. people carry fracking laptops around all the time. I can slip it into my "briefcase" that i take to work. its not like im taking it to the bar when i got out or something
    03-11-11 11:42 AM
    Regardless of the 7" vs 10" debate, of the millions sold, where are they?
    As far as the ipad goes, resting on the legs of Levi-wearing Steve Job's wanna-bees.
    03-11-11 11:42 AM
    its like the size of a magazine....its not hard to carry to the car and then into the coffee shop. people carry fracking laptops around all the time. I can slip it into my "briefcase" that i take to work. its not like im taking it to the bar when i got out or something
    I know how large it is. So, since it's "so" portable, tell me why a device that has sold millions is almost no where to be seen in public? I think you are overstating just how easy/practical it is to schlep an ipad around. Just like with DSLR's vs compact digicams. Most people pocket their compact, rather than get bogged down with a DSLR. (having said that, I just bought a D3100, but then again I've got a new grandkid that I want some awesome pics of, and our Sony compact just doesn't quite cut it)
    03-11-11 11:45 AM
    I never seems to see anyone out and about carrying them or using them either.
    03-11-11 11:47 AM
    I never seems to see anyone out and about carrying them or using them either.
    And I doubt you ever will unless John Q. Public suddenly ups their geek-factor by an order or magnitude.
    03-11-11 11:51 AM
    I know how large it is. So, since it's "so" portable, tell me why a device that has sold millions is almost no where to be seen in public? I think you are overstating just how easy/practical it is to schlep an ipad around. Just like with DSLR's vs compact digicams. Most people pocket their compact, rather than get bogged down with a DSLR. (having said that, I just bought a D3100, but then again I've got a new grandkid that I want some awesome pics of, and our Sony compact just doesn't quite cut it)
    that i dont know, i see them around here at starbucks every so often but i dont look for them either. My guess is alot are actually gifts from parents to kids in college and such. I know several schools use them too
    03-11-11 11:51 AM
    that i dont know, i see them around here at starbucks every so often but i dont look for them either. My guess is alot are actually gifts from parents to kids in college and such. I know several schools use them too
    From what I've read on line, it seems people are buying them a lot for their small children. On a related note, I was surprised last year to read that the demographic that owns the most Touchs are kids. I guess families have more disposable income for such luxuries than I had thought, given the current economic conditions.
    03-11-11 11:53 AM
    its called a cheap babysitter
    03-11-11 11:56 AM
    its called a cheap babysitter
    +1

I know a few parents that would rather sit their kids in front of the TV or computer.
    03-11-11 11:59 AM
    Interesting comments. The one overriding sentiment is "Where are all of these tablets at" that are being sold. And if so few people are actually carrying them around and using them, what are they being used for?

I have no leanings whatsoever between a 7 inch screen and a 10 inch screen. Personally, I think both are too big. I think a 5 inch screen would be about perfect for me. It would make online browsing and apps like Google Maps much easier to use. And I could stick it in my back pocket when I'm not using it.

I have held an iPad and I felt like such a dork I couldn't put it down fast enough. No way would I ever carry one of those things around. But I harbor no ill feelings for those that like them. After all, to each their own.

I just don't get it. I'm in no hurry to jump on the tablet bandwagon.
    03-11-11 02:01 PM
    It's pretty simple really. They sold about 15 million of them? The world buys more than a billion mobile phones per year - 15 million is a pretty small number really. I think the new one will be seen in coffee shops pretty soon though.
    03-11-11 05:05 PM
    I don't know what I'd use an iPad/Tablet/Playbook for. If I'm at work, then I use my work computer, if I'm out running errands then I have my Torch already handy, and at home I have my laptop. Why on earth I need Tablet-thingy is beyond me.

I've never seen a single one out.
    03-11-11 09:45 PM
    I don't know what I'd use an iPad/Tablet/Playbook for. If I'm at work, then I use my work computer, if I'm out running errands then I have my Torch already handy, and at home I have my laptop. Why on earth I need Tablet-thingy is beyond me.

I've never seen a single one out.
    I've seen ONE--on a flight. A lady sitting in front of me was using an iPad, and the gal to my right was on her Mac book Air. I was plenty happy to be using my super-portable touch to play Angry Birds, read, watch a movie, etc. I can only image the extra hassle it would be to carry an iPad on board, given all the other stuff I've got to keep track of when we fly. I'll skip the large-size tablet or laptop scene when traveling, thank you very much. I don't even pack my cute little Acer Netbook for vacation--I like traveling light.
    03-12-11 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD