This isn't rocket science. You have four phones:

- entry level pkb (classic)
    - entry level vkb (z3/leap)
    - flagship pkb (passport)
    - flagship vkb (keyboard less passport)

Put them on the same refresh cycle that Apple has: same form factor with tweaked innards every year, new devices every other year.

Then you focus 100% of your attention on perfecting BES and BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Fixed the above:

- flagship VKB/PKB (slider) - this will be a compromise device that is supposed to make both PKB and VKB'ers happy.

An all touch Passport makes zero sense IMO.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-08-15 11:19 AM
    Fixed the above:

- flagship VKB/PKB (slider) - this will be a compromise device that is supposed to make both PKB and VKB'ers happy.

An all touch Passport makes zero sense IMO.
    I agree with you but they should release the slider in the time frame. In the meantime they gotta make people aware how the hw battle is futile nowaday. Consumers/prosumers in these days believe to fully understand the smartphone technology and they don't! My Q5 is able to run ALL the major apps (native or android) that the vast majority of users use or need. The 'old processor' thing gotta stop. If an old one is capable, with 2GB of ram to run everything what's the point of saying "it's not an octa-core". Do you need this? No (in the 99% of chances). Do the MARKET need this? No more. BlackBerry, or at least the so called 'experts' gotta make people aware of that. The same kind of discussion have been around for years regarding PCs. If you have an i5,4GB of ram and a decent (80$ mark) video card you have a superpowerful pc, if you don't need to play heavy 3D games or 3D modelling programs, or run virtual machines... and that applies to the already talked 'vast majority'. At the same time, I don't understand why the "experts" do not make this kind of talk when speaking about ram. I've read a lot of posts about the new BlackBerry Leap, where people heavily attack BlackBerry because of the processor, saying that it should be priced at around 150$, and saying that Android or Winphone counterparts that are around offer a lot more for less. They have 90% of the time less ram and less storage. Quad-core with 4GB of storage. Quad-core with not optimized SO or apps. 64 bits processors (and that applies to flagships) with zero apps capable to use these. I won't talk about cameras because people seem not to understand that will never be about megapixels...

Imho, 2 steps:
    - release the slider (cause there are a lot of BlackBerry users or users that want to jump to BB who don't like physical keyboards)
    - MAKE PEOPLE AWARE.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-08-15 06:18 PM
    Yeah, I know.

My comment was mostly in response to a post here (or maybe from another thread, I get confused LOL) where I said that a Z30 was a better choice than the Leap. This was before it had been officially announced, and priced, at MWC.

I was immediately shouted down on the grounds "you won't get a Z30 for $200". And that's a true statement, but is predicated on the assumption that the Leap would be priced at under $200. Which many posters here were confident would be the case because BB *must* have learned the lessons of over-pricing the Z3.

I kept my own counsel, but I knew BB wouldn't price the Leap competitively, because they will never learn! And they didn't disappoint my expectations. Bless.

So yes, for $275, you'd be better looking out for a discounted Z30 than spend money on a "cheap" Leap. I believe someone here got a Z30 for $224.

Gotta love BB and their wacky pricing strategies. Aim at foot, *bang*... reload, aim at other foot, *bang*.
    $275 is MSRP/RRP:
    discounted prices, sales and bargains will be available a lot cheaper. You will see it @ $199 or below pretty soon. And not because it's not selling (like Z10) ...

There's no room to go lower if you start too low. :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-08-15 11:35 PM
    $275 is MSRP/RRP:
    discounted prices, sales and bargains will be available a lot cheaper. You will see it @ $199 or below pretty soon. And not because it's not selling (like Z10) ...

There's no room to go lower if you start too low. :-)
    Other than quantity discounting, the principal reason for retail discounting is to shift stock, often "because it's not selling (like Z10) ...".

You see many heavily discounted iPhones out there?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-09-15 at 03:43 AM.
    03-09-15 03:32 AM
    Honest question (cause I read "they promised" a lot these days...) - was there really a promise for a 12 month roadmap or is this just another situation where
    people can't distinguish between some random marketing comment and a vow...

I get it, and yes I would like to have more information on upcoming release (device) timesline or developer roadmaps as well, but that's the way it is.
    03-09-15 04:00 AM
    Honest question (cause I read "they promised" a lot these days...) - was there really a promise for a 12 month roadmap or is this just another situation where
    people can't distinguish between some random marketing comment and a vow...

I get it, and yes I would like to have more information on upcoming release (device) timesline or developer roadmaps as well, but that's the way it is.
    Google is your friend.

Yes, Chen said back in December that he would reveal BB's roadmap at MWC 2015.

Chen duly spoke, as billed, but whether what was announced a couple of weeks ago constituted a "roadmap" is a matter of opinion.
    endevour likes this.
    03-09-15 05:38 AM
    Problem here is I think, inspiration has died and innovation has gone out the window! They already think the BlackBerry of today is perfect and can't get it any better. I can tell this from the release of the new Z10 wannabe and this new slider which looks like a new torch. At this rate were just going to get the old device line up of BBOS with BB10 added. Bolds being the Q's, Z's being the storms and that slider being the torch.

By the way people complaining because of not getting a i7 5960X in there devices is because it's not needed in a BlackBerry (not my words, BlackBerry themselves say it). This being because of QNX's efficiency, yaada yaada yaada... you get where I'm going with that

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-09-15 06:30 AM
    Year plan left me a feeling of seeing INCEPTION without a subtitle for the 1st time
    Last edited by Azhar; 03-09-15 at 07:15 AM.
    03-09-15 06:54 AM
    BlackBerry Turnaround Odds Are Now 99 Percent, Chen Says - Bloomberg Business
    Google is your friend.
    Yes, Chen said back in December that he would reveal BB's roadmap at MWC 2015.
    Chen duly spoke, as billed, but whether what was announced a couple of weeks ago constituted a "roadmap" is a matter of opinion.
    So I'll just imply people are referencing to the Bloomberg after-finance-call interview and add the line then...

"...You might see something there. I can't make any promises right now, but you'll see the roadmap for sure..." is responsible for all that talk and discussion.
    Last edited by endevour; 03-09-15 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added reference link
    03-09-15 08:01 AM
    Problem here is I think, inspiration has died and innovation has gone out the window! ...
    Posted via CB10
    I completely agree...
    The need to be way better using that rare momentum... (that's the real disaster imo)
    03-09-15 08:03 AM
    BlackBerry Turnaround Odds Are Now 99 Percent, Chen Says - Bloomberg Business

So I'll just imply people are referencing to the Bloomberg after-finance-call interview and add the line then...

"...You might see something there. I can't make any promises right now, but you'll see the roadmap for sure..." is responsible for all that talk and discussion.
    Boy, simply read this thread and you'll find out that this assumption is wrong.
    03-09-15 08:06 AM
    Boy, simply read this thread and you'll find out that this assumption is wrong.
    Well then thx for the reply (why boy?), at least he didn't talk about how detailed the device-roadmap would be, so nothing's wrong for me....
    And as we probably learned about the past (at least I hope we did) assumptions, expectations and interpretations are sometimes (not always) our own faults.
    03-09-15 08:34 AM
    I think what he said at MWC qualifies as a hardware roadmap even though it doesn't lead to where many people want it to go. I don't think many people were expecting more than two new devices from a company with less than 0.5% market share. They aren't likely to get carriers to adopt more than that.
    gvs1341 and endevour like this.
    03-09-15 09:00 AM
    How many more devices are people thinking BlackBerry should be coming out with? Now some people felt that one of the reasons the company took a dive was it was making so many different phones.

Two keyboard models, two touch models should be it. Then the company focuses in on market, improving service, and outreach.

Reading through some of these comments makes me shake my head. BlackBerry can't fall back into the same trap trying to build a phone for 1% of the market.

Stick with what's working, improve the hardware each new model and monotize the rest.

Keep it simple.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    gvs1341 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    03-09-15 09:25 AM

Stick with what's working, improve the hardware each new model and monotize the rest.

Keep it simple.
    The problem is that they are not improving the hardware. The Leap and Classic are basically the Z10/Q10 internals with minor exterior modifications (increased screen size with lower ppi on Z10, and tool belt on with larger screen less PPI on Q10). If they were using some newer SoC's with improved GPU's etc, then I think you would see a little more excitement here. Doesn't have to be Snapdragon 8xx across the line like what is in the Pasport, but maybe a 4xx or 6xx. The MSM9860 they are using is just a joke at this point. It was heavily taxed on my Z10, and will be in the Leap too. If the Leap had a newer SOC in it you could probably get some Z30 owners to upgrade too, but the device is a downgrade for Z30 and side grade for Z10 owners, as the Classic is a side grade for Q10 owners.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-09-15 09:35 AM
    @underwood, eraly2bed: If you'd read the thread you'd see that the central issue isn't the lack of devices but the lack of information about them. (Although there is a lot of off-topic talk concerning the lack of a true Z10/Z30 successor).
    03-09-15 09:40 AM
    How many more devices are people thinking BlackBerry should be coming out with? Now some people felt that one of the reasons the company took a dive was it was making so many different phones.

Two keyboard models, two touch models should be it. Then the company focuses in on market, improving service, and outreach.

Reading through some of these comments makes me shake my head. BlackBerry can't fall back into the same trap trying to build a phone for 1% of the market.

Keep it simple.

Pretty sure that building mainly QWERTY devices is building for 1% of the market....

And what exactly is working... you have a crystal ball that show that revenues or sales have increased?

Most of what I got out of this thread is people (existing users) want a replacement for their Z10's and Z30's that will be a true upgrade..... If you don't give your customers what they want, they'll go somewhere else.

KEEP IT SIMPLE sound good to me. I think using the older devices for the entry level products and building newer devices with improved performance is a better way to operate... but then that would just be copying everyone else and BlackBerry doesn't do that.
    eyesopen1111 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-09-15 09:45 AM
    One interesting thing about the roadmap is that they decided to forego NFC on the Leap so there probably isn't a path for ubiquitous mobile payments on the OS roadmap.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-09-15 11:42 AM
    One interesting thing about the roadmap is that they decided to forego NFC on the Leap so there probably isn't a path for ubiquitous mobile payments on the OS roadmap.
    Most regulated customers in Government don't allow wireless in certain places anyway, but this is just another cost cut in the device not being passed down to the buyer. This Leap isn't even on par with existing devices and here we are over two years after those devices were released. They would probably go back to the Marvell PXA they used for BBOS if they could run BB10 on it.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-09-15 12:02 PM
    That rather leaves their hardware fragmented across models, which not only can complicate decision making for potential buyers but also makes it just that little more onerous for developers. I wouldn't have thought NFC would be that $ or resource heavy to implement and mobile payments does seem to be in the future. Unless, they are going via payments through carriers.
    03-09-15 12:03 PM
    Funny how in one meeting today, not including my Classic, I saw 3 Passports and 2 other Classics. All BlackBerry and all QWERTY devices.

As an aside 1 iPhone, 2 Android.

smart548 likes this.
    03-09-15 02:23 PM
    Funny how in one meeting today, not including my Classic, I saw 3 Passports and 2 other Classics. All BlackBerry and all QWERTY devices.

What's your job and where do you live Mr President, if I may ask

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 03:35 PM

Funny I can say in a meetings where I work that I'm going to see multiple Z10 and Z30 devices and only one Q10, and that is my buddies. So is your work site more relevant than mine?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 04:42 PM
    What's your job and where do you live Mr President, if I may ask

Posted via CB10
    He is the President of the local CrackBerry anonymous group.... they hold meeting twice a month. Not sure why they let the guy that switched to an iPhone still attend, maybe he is their example of being able to break the habit.....
    03-10-15 08:29 AM
    04-28-15 01:28 AM
175 ... 567