I've really had it with this company, nothing exciting was announced.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Depends on what you consider exciting.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.2267 / 2268 Radio (*_~)
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 09:41 AM
    Roadmap looks more like a road with potholes that leads to a dead end. I've been waiting forever to upgrade my old BBRY phone. Looks like it might be time to jump ship. I'm on Verizon (and staying there). I hate that my only choice is the Classic.
    03-04-15 09:42 AM
    Roadmap looks more like a road with potholes that leads to a dead end. I've been waiting forever to upgrade my old BBRY phone. Looks like it might be time to jump ship. I'm on Verizon (and staying there). I hate that my only choice is the Classic.
    Ya it's too bad because most people are at the end of their two year cycle now with nothing worthwhile to upgrade to.
    MarsupilamiX and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-04-15 09:46 AM
    Ya it's too bad because most people are at the end of their two year cycle now with nothing worthwhile to upgrade to.
    Like literally nothing.
    Q10/Q5 users can "upgrade" to a Classic and basically buy the same phone again.

Z3 users already have the Leap.

Z30 users can buy the Leap and basically buy the same phone again.
    For those 3 BB10 devices, the only thing announced was an "extended warranty", through the possibility of buying the same phone again....

Z10 users.... Well, that phone never existed, forget about that one.

The Passport isn't exactly an upgrade path. It's an alternative to the standard keyboard phone.

Does this look like saving the smartphone division?
    I don't know, maybe I lack a bit of info...

LOL. Depends on what you consider exciting.

I effing adore the slider.
    Nobody can sell a phone I'd want more than that, this year.

I still miss a Roadmap though
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 03-04-15 at 10:12 AM.
    03-04-15 09:54 AM
    Like literally nothing.
    Q10/Q5 users can "upgrade" to a Classic and basically buy the same phone again.

Z3 users already have the Leap.

Z30 users can buy the Leap and basically buy the same phone again.
    For those 3 BB10 devices, the only thing announced was an "extended warranty", through the possibility of buying the same phone again....

Z10 users.... Well, that phone never existed, forget about that one.

The Passport isn't exactly an upgrade path. It's an alternative to the standard keyboard phone.

Does this look like saving the smartphone division?
    I don't know, maybe I lack a bit of info...

I effing adore the slider.
    Nobody can sell a phone I'd want more than that, this year.

I still miss a Roadmap though
    Exactly, the Z30/Z10 users are left in the cold! And I would be more interested in the slider if they actually gave any info on it, but I think its a prototype or mock up and will be heavily influenced by samsung tech.

Regardless, whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. Its a shame really, with the pace their OS was progressing, it is conceivable they would produce a well made touch screen hero flag ship device. Oh well
    Last edited by vegetto_456; 03-04-15 at 04:11 PM.
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    03-04-15 10:45 AM
    I'll be the first to admit to your BTW.
    But, those issues are intertwined.
    No matter how detailed the roadmap would have been....
    It would have lacked something without a full touch flagship.

Oth, I actually agree with your thesis.
    This wasn't a roadmap.
    This was a pitch for a business plan to their investors.
    It actually reminded me of startups, trying to raise capital and promising the most interesting things through vaporware.

The whole software suite is vapor for now.
    The Slider... No specs, no release, no pricing. A prototype. Something a startup usually needs to pitch their ideas successfully. Nothing you'd expect from a smartphone manufacturer who is in the business since the early 2000's.

The hints for the other devices... Vapor again. Nothing tangible at all.
    So yes, this might have been called a Roadmap, but for me this clearly looks like a sales pitch to investors, where you try to sell potential, instead of something real.

I don't disagree.
    Especially with this "roadmap", it confirms the suspicions to be honest.

Nothing he has done makes sense, if I suppose that he wants to save the hardware business.
    J.Chen's data gathering/analysis team can't be that bad, that they recommend making more keyboard phones nobody wants. I just can't believe it anymore.

If however, I suppose that he quietly wants to kill the handset business, while he needed some money from handset sales to make the transition to a SaaS company...
    The choices actually start to make sense.
    I think you're really onto something with your last paragraph. It's about the only explanation that makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 11:05 AM
    I think you're really onto something with your last paragraph. It's about the only explanation that makes sense
    Indeed (selfquote):
    It would be foolish to announce the exit before it actually happens. He probably still has a lot of Snapdragon S4s he wants to sell..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post11417365
    03-04-15 11:13 AM
    I doubt they are done with MWC15. Their blog News | Inside BlackBerry shows three days of material so far, my guess is they are spreading out the news to get the most of free advertising, its a smart play, but it is 150pm EST so its possible they blew there load and are done as well.

IoT looks like its tomorrow so they could sneak some stuff in.
    03-04-15 12:53 PM
    Exactly, the Z30/Z10 users are left in the cold! And I would be more interested in the slider if they actually gave any info on it, but I think its a prototype or mock up and will be heavily influenced by samsung tech.

Regardless, whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. Its a shame really, with the pace their OS was progressing, it is conceivable they would produce a well made touch school hero flag ship devoice. Oh well
    I'm kind of torn between surprise that BB didn't announce a high-end full-touch device to try to shake the widely-held belief that the HW division is a dead man walking; and open-mouthed admiration at the impressive smoke and mirrors game that Chen has played to disguise that lack of future product & roadmap.

Chen distracted everyone by announcing the day before WMC started that BB10 Apps will be coming to iOS, Android, and WinPhone. He's given no details, except to announce a ridiculously sporty timescale of this happening within this year. I frankly doubt that a 3rd party Hub App can be tightly integrated into those other OS's at all, never mind in that aggressive timescale... but, no matter how feasible I reckon it is, the important thing is those headlines are now out there and it shows Chen is serious about his App neutrality nonsense. It's good PR, unaffected by whether those BB10 Apps ever arrive in the coming months.

Secondly, at what was a low-key briefing, he's teased everyone with a slider concept phone which everyone is now talking about. Like you, I frankly doubt it was more than a pretty mock-up with a static display and is nowhere close to being a production device despite being trailed as also coming in 2015. No details or specs have been announced, nobody was allowed to get close, and I'm surprised that anyone got a sharp photo given the speed at which the devices were waved about before being hidden away. Again, it doesn't matter that no details were given. Those that want to believe can infer that an amazingly high-spec BB phone is on its way. I'm already seeing posts about this wonder-phone (despite the lack of given specs, it must be high-spec because... well, it just must!) being available to buy in the Summer! And when it doesn't come, it's not Chen's fault... as he never gave a date.

I do admire Chen. Thor was just a bad liar and terrible CEO, but Chen? Well Chen.... is different. Even though I'm convinced it's all a vast confidence trick, he pulls it off so well, and with such good humour, that I can do nothing but applaud the man. LOL
    undone and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-04-15 01:28 PM
    You know that quad hd is not the same thing as 4k right? The camera takes horrible quality pictures. At this day and age when we use our phones as our main camera in our day to day lives, a terrible camera def is a huge negative. No I don't carry around my slr around everywhere with me but I do have my phone. I don't get your attitude honestly. Why are you willing to settle for mediocrity and not wanting more from blackberry? Being an apologist doesn't help anyone, least of all yourself.

Stockholm syndrome much bud?

Posted via CB10
    It's not Stockholm syndrome. I do want more. But I also do not live with delusions of grandeur about BlackBerry.
    Would it be nice to see them crank out a new balls to the wall flagship machine other than the passport?
    Yes,but it's not in the finances at the moment. As far as we know, and we don't know anything yet, the slider will potentially be the new flagship.
    They don't have the capital to crank out new devices every 6 months like samsung or apple.

So they make the most with what they have.
    Even if it's using old back stock hardware with a new exterior face and a couple tweaks.
    IPhone 5 / 5s anyone? Same idea.
    Is it ****ty for the faithful? No doubt it is.
    But to gain some market, it's makes financial sense.

Is the leap a magical device? No.
    While I'd say it's low to midrange in price off contract, it's still a lower cost option than what's out there now.
    Purely for market gain device.
    And if people can't understand that, they are lost.
    On contract, depending on market, it will most likely be a sub $100 device.
    So that jumps into the area of almost all phones.

Say the leap,passport,and classic do extremely well, that's when I'd expect more from them.
    Perfect the software then the hardware will come.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 02:46 PM
    They launched once device, showed off a prototype, announced an elitist model, and stated they're working on a mystery handheld. That's not a roadmap. It's more like a strategy.
    I've seen similar roadmaps from much larger companies. Filling in exact dates just show the delays. When I complain they are three months behind from previous roadmap, the next roadmap removes the quarter targets they specified earlier.

So while you complain it's not a roadmap, that is pretty commonly considered a roadmap. Actual partners who really need to know will be provided more details.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 03:03 PM

I do admire Chen. Thor was just a bad liar and terrible CEO, but Chen? Well Chen.... is different. Even though I'm convinced it's all a vast confidence trick, he pulls it off so well, and with such good humour, that I can do nothing but applaud the man. LOL
    The only real difference is that Chen is a great liar and a terrible CEO.

"We had no discussions with Samsung (cough... cough... at least not directly... those were just consultants talking to Samsung on my behalf)"

"I intend to stay in the hardware business (cough... cough... cuz that's what I know I need to say but at least I can always claim that's what I intended to do)"

Plausible deniability... that's all it is...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 03:48 PM
    Hey check out the 2015 Device Roadmap published yesterday!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...slider-photos/

Looks like some are still looking for it. LOL

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 03:57 PM
    I've seen similar roadmaps from much larger companies. Filling in exact dates just show the delays. When I complain they are three months behind from previous roadmap, the next roadmap removes the quarter targets they specified earlier.

So while you complain it's not a roadmap, that is pretty commonly considered a roadmap. Actual partners who really need to know will be provided more details.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Roadmaps tend to be high level and on a single slide. Me thinks there isn't a common understanding of what roadmaps usually are in this thread.

Oh well, I hope people learned something new today and stop asking for something that was given yesterday. :P

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 and BCITMike like this.
    03-04-15 04:01 PM
    Hey check out the 2015 Device Roadmap published yesterday!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...slider-photos/

Looks like some are still looking for it. LOL
    Haha, that first comment is hilarious:

"Is there an actual road map slide or something?"
    03-04-15 04:03 PM
    Oh well, I hope people learned something new today and stop asking for something that was given yesterday. :P
    Haven't seen one. Nowhere. Not even on "Inside Blackberry". Please post it if you got one
    03-04-15 04:10 PM
    This is actually a very good theory why Blackberry decided against an all touch device despite the greater demand among current BB10 users.

BlackBerry may have a higher ASP and therefore higher margin on PKB devices than all touch devices. I can definitely see that being the case given the deluge of cheap, quality Android devices.

Chen's goal may be to simply turn a profit or minimize losses from the hardware division. He isn't concerned about maintaining market share and so is willing to leave Z10 and Z30 users out in the cold.

P.S. Further evidence of this may be observed from the MSRP of the Classic vs. the LEAP despite having similar components. BBRY thinks that it can charge >$100 more by tacking on a keyboard while reducing touchscreen size. $100 adds a lot to Blackberry's bottom line.
    Keyboard device can be sold at a higher price, simply because there is no one else doing them... :-)

Also, issues with keyboards failing have to be factored into the price, it's not like once you've sold it, the money is yours, warranties are a liability...

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-04-15 04:14 PM
    I can relate. Two upgrades for at&t- still waiting, Bought two Z30s(one used/one new) on eBay. Black screen on the new one(wife), so, I give up my Z30 and go back to my Q10. So, I can relate to the frustrations. Thank God for my Q10. It's updated and sexy as hell. As far as the upcoming BlackBerries, I'm only interested in the Slider- if the specs(including the battery) are good. Love my two Qs, but, I want a touchscreen that is an upgrade from the Z30.
    03-04-15 08:41 PM
    Not sure what to think.
    As a Z30 owner, I would like to upgrade. As of now, there is no such thing, as the alternative device Blackberry is offering me is a downgrade.
    I used to like my Torch, but then I've moved on to all touch device and didn't really planned on moving back to a keyboard phone.

Having said that, Z10 owners are due for upgrade. Given Z30 is considered to be an "old device" by now. I don't see any good alternative for them.

After looking at the photos of this mysterious slider, I think that when open- the phone is way too big.
    Getting the slider phone and not using the keyboard will be stupid. I wish an all touch phone will be announced soon.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 08:41 PM
    This thread is about a road map.

For people defending BlackBerry because they supposedly gave a road map , check the definition for road map

Road map: a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2267
    Yes, sounds like they did. Thanks for pointing that out with definition.

The quibbling is over details.
    03-05-15 02:55 AM
    Too many people complaining remember patients does pay off

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 03:16 AM
    The only real difference is that Chen is a great liar and a terrible CEO.

"We had no discussions with Samsung (cough... cough... at least not directly... those were just consultants talking to Samsung on my behalf)"

"I intend to stay in the hardware business (cough... cough... cuz that's what I know I need to say but at least I can always claim that's what I intended to do)"

Plausible deniability... that's all it is...

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I realise that Chen is lying... My point was that he's a *likeable* rogue (unlike those that came before). He's playing a poor hand with skill - involving lots of smoke and mirrors, and a good amount of "leading people to believe.." with his vague and ambiguous statements.

So, I still like him... But I'd be sure to count my fingers after each handshake! LOL
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-05-15 at 05:00 AM.
    MarsupilamiX and Blacklatino like this.
    03-05-15 03:28 AM
    Based on history, road maps can and will possibly change. At least we still have BlackBerries to look forward to. LOL. My last BlackBerry was going to be the 9810 and I'm still here. Chen is a CEO, so like others, I wasn�t expecting a boy scout or "Honest Abe". But, he is delivering as we wait for the next BlackBerry.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 07:47 AM
    Do like the rest of us. Wait a while and if no all-touch flagship comes, leave BlackBerry. It's looking more and more the way I will be going.....and then on some days I say, eh...they will make one even if they haven't announced it....so who knows, right?
    Has that ever happened in the past?
    03-05-15 08:07 AM
    Yes, sounds like they did. Thanks for pointing that out with definition.

The quibbling is over details.
    I guess you are right... From the BlackBerry blog posted, seems they kinda did... very brief... I was expecting one just like the one from last year...

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2267
    03-05-15 08:13 AM
175 ... 34567