Should I just get with the "game" and look forward to a touchy feely future for phones? Is there a new blackberry coming out that won't have a touchscreen?

Don't get me wrong, I love touchscreens but not so much on phones as they can still annoy the crap out of me especially when typing. Another good example is the torch and how easy it is to accidentally unlock using the mute/lock key at the top.

If they ever find a way for me to interact with the phone with the option of turning off touch(this relates more towards 9900 or the new torch since they include a hardware keyboard) then I'll happily jump right on a board.

I'm really considering just moving up to the 9780 since I currently use the 9000. The lack of memory has just about killed my love for that phone now. The only problem I see with the 9780 is the lack of OS 7. But at least if I pair it with a playbook, I get the best of both worlds, personally I find touch works a lot better on a bigger screen.

I love the 9900 and torch 2 for its hardware and form factor but with no clear release date and premium prices for Blackberries on release it's hard to get excited when I would love a bold 9000/9780 without a touchscreen. Judging by my hands on with the 9780, OS 6 works perfectly fine as a non-touchscreen OS too.

Am I alone on wanting a BlackBerry with the latest hardware minus touch?
    06-24-11 10:17 AM
    You're not alone. I've used touchscreen phones, and I frankly am not the world's biggest fan. If I had the option to not use it or toggle it on or off, that would be cool. But I really don't want one.

What I would like, though, is a trackpad that works better in bright sunlight.
    06-24-11 10:29 AM
    You're not alone. I've used touchscreen phones, and I frankly am not the world's biggest fan. If I had the option to not use it or toggle it on or off, that would be cool. But I really don't want one.
    I have yet to find a touch screen with a soft qwerty that I can use. My index finger hits 2 keys at once on the iphone even in landscape mode.
    06-24-11 10:41 AM
    The new Curve won't have a touch screen. It isn't going to be as high spec'd as the new Bold 9900 but will still be better than the current high end BBs. (Bold 9780, Torch)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 10:45 AM
    The new Curve won't have a touch screen. It isn't going to be as high spec'd as the new Bold 9900 but will still be better than the current high end BBs. (Bold 9780, Torch)

Curve Apollo will still be the low-end device.
    06-24-11 10:54 AM

What I would like, though, is a trackpad that works better in bright sunlight.
    yeah the toggle thing was what I was trying to get across. Glad you understood that bit

I haven't run into that problem with the bright sunlight but quite like the trackpad design since I'll never have the stuck ball problem again.

Ahh! I just darted over to the apollo/sedona rumour thread. Here I was thinking that was touch too. Probably my wires got crossed with the curve touch announcements. Not a big fan of the curve keyboard but that at least gives me some hope that the bold keyboard could show its head on a non-touch smartphone in the near future too. So looking at the specs, its only a little bit faster but hopefully offers accelerated graphics and the other little cool features that 7 brings to the table.

But as pcgizmo pointed out, it won't be part of their high-end line up.
    Would it really go astray to have a non-touch model standing side by side with their touch high end models?

That's one of many reasons why I've chosen a Blackberry, for its keyboard, otherwise, it's pretty easy to choose a high-tech device from other competitors such as Nokia, LG or Samsung who seem quite happy to peddle us with touch after touch screens every month.
    06-24-11 11:07 AM
    they're on their way. be patient.
    06-24-11 11:08 AM
    they're on their way. be patient.
    I'd like to think I am, considering I do have a bold 9000 and currently off contract. The financial year is coming to a close and there are a few nice perks regarding blackberry contracts (though nothing new hardware/software wise)

but I feel like I'm always waiting for them to release something (I don't live in the US)

When's the next blackberry conference? Is there another one this year? Having looked at their timeline and rumoured phones, it's hard to see RIM filling in this gap (ironic) any time soon. Maybe the 9780 or the curve will be enough to tide me over until QNX rears its head but Im sure I'll still be waiting since I heard it's first phone will be a touch only affair.

But what am I to do, Most competitors only deal with phones with touch screens and for what I want, RIM does hardware keyboards the best. Gimme a toggle button, haha!
    Last edited by zensen; 06-24-11 at 11:30 AM.
    06-24-11 11:27 AM
    Won't the 9900 be fully functional by using the trackpad?

I would think that since there is one on there you should be able to just use it and ignore the touch screen if you want to.

06-24-11 02:04 PM
    Am I alone on wanting a BlackBerry with the latest hardware minus touch?
    For me, it depends on how the interface ends up being manipulated. Sure, you can use OS6+ with the trackpad, but it'd be much easier to just finger-swipe those banners on the screen to move the trays and things.

On the other hand, some things are easier for me with the trackpad (selecting menu items, selecting text, etc.).

So if RIM keeps developing the interface as they have with OS6, I think having both the touchscreen for some things and the trackpad for others gives the best of both worlds
    06-24-11 02:40 PM
    There are rumours about a 9790 and judging from the pics it is definitely a handset I would be interested in were it not for the touch screen.

I hate touch screen phones and don't like the buttons of the Apollo. I will have to stick it out with my trusted old workhorse.
    06-24-11 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD