when i turn the radio off and then on i notice the IPv4 changes, but the IPv6 doesnt....why is that? and can the IPv6 address be changed??
    11-26-15 08:00 AM
    Why do you want to change it?
    11-26-15 08:07 AM
    IPv6 is very different from v4. While most v4 addresses will change as you move from network to network because of NAT (network address translation) from the routers you connect to, v6 has the ability to traverse multiple networks with the same address. Unlike IPv4, an IPv6 address can do its own routing since it's built into the address. This is especially helpful for mobile networks since the IP can stay the same over multiple handoffs: you could go across the entire US and keep the same IP where with v4 you'd get a new IP with almost every tower, and the hesitation and stalling that DHCP handover and registration would bring.

If you have Blend or Link installed on your computer it's likely the v6 address you're probably also seeing one since they use that for remote file access or for Blend access. The BlackBerry VPN adapter creates one for your computer and allows it to only route to your device's close to static address.

You don't need to worry about changing the address: it's fine like it is, especially considering that there are billions of potential IPv6 addresses available for every person on Earth so there's no reason for it to change ever.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:02 AM
    ^^^ One the best replies I've seen in awhile on CB, nice job. Learn something new everyday .
    11-26-15 09:19 AM
    ^^^ One the best replies I've seen in awhile on CB, nice job. Learn something new everyday .
    Well, it's wrong. The answer is because there's different IP addresses. That is link local.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ipv6/i...ress_types.htm

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 03:44 PM
    I don't believe RTHONs response was entirely inaccurate. I believe it was provided in a manner which allows the average person, myself included, to better understand the processes involved.
    11-26-15 04:43 PM
    I don't believe RTHONs response was entirely inaccurate. I believe it was provided in a manner which allows the average person, myself included, to better understand the processes involved.
    I'm not sure what was helpful about providing incorrect information. It would have been easier to point to one of the numerous IPv6 tutorials so they can better understand it. It wouldn't work if the same IP worked anywhere in the world, how would the routing tables work? How would routers know how to route packets? From the link I provided:

Link-Local Address
    Auto-configured IPv6 address is known as Link-Local address. This address always starts with FE80. The first 16 bits of link-local address is always set to 1111 1110 1000 0000 (FE80). The next 48-bits are set to 0, thus:
    [Image: Link-Local Address]
    Link-local addresses are used for communication among IPv6 hosts on a link (broadcast segment) only. These addresses are not routable, so a Router never forwards these addresses outside the link.
    My phone only has FE80 IPv6 addresses, though I'm in Canada where they haven't done IPv6 rollout yet. My US VPS has 6 IPv6 IP's starting with: 2604:880. My windows Hamachi interface has:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1998:b1b3(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5dde:3af0:3c5f:ee12%12(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1900:1

I am fine with leaving out complex details to keep things simple, I am against spreading wrong information, as everyone should be. Sometimes the first thing you hear about something new gets latched and hard to correct down the road. Someone had given rthonpm bad information at some point, and now its spreading.
    11-26-15 05:28 PM