In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.
    09-28-16 12:44 PM
    A better question might be, "Where is BlackBerry?"

Posted via CB10 with my awesome Passport
    09-28-16 12:46 PM
    In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.
    I completely agree. If my country had such a brand, probably %90 of the handset customers would go with BlackBerry. I am also very surprised by the lack of support from the Canadian govt and operators. It is really hard to build a brand that is known all across the world. Guess Canadians don't care. Kim kardashian was more loyal I guess.

Never understood the Finns also. Letting Nokia die.
    09-28-16 12:53 PM
    I completely agree. If my country had such a brand, probably %90 of the handset customers would go with BlackBerry. I am also very surprised by the lack of support from the Canadian govt and operators. It is really hard to build a brand that is known all across the world. Guess Canadians don't care. Kim kardashian was more loyal I guess.
    A company managed by non-Canadians, building their devices in another country, using an operating system generic to still another country, just doesn't seem that "Canadian" to me.

09-28-16 01:01 PM
    So as a Canadian, I should by a phone made in China or India or Mexico from a company that imports them into Canada?

No as a Canadian, I buy what I want, not what John Chen wants.
    09-28-16 01:01 PM
    A company managed by non-Canadians, building their devices in another country, using an operating system generic to still another country, just doesn't seem that "Canadian" to me.

Well BBOS sales were not that great. I wonder how many Canadians worked for Waterloo and now don't. :/.

Plus I wonder how Apple or Samsung help their country by exporting products across the world.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-28-16 01:03 PM
    Well BBOS sales were not that great. I wonder how many Canadians worked for Waterloo and now don't. :/.
    BBOS sales kept BB10 alive. Without BBOS Blackberry would have fallen a long time ago

It was up to Blackberry to deliver a product that could be used and they failed.
    Chen cant expect Canadians to support a product that wasnt willing to give any support back in return
    bakron1 and Alain_A like this.
    09-28-16 01:06 PM
    BBOS sales kept BB10 alive. Without BBOS Blackberry would have fallen a long time ago

It was up to Blackberry to deliver a product that could be used and they failed.
    Chen cant expect Canadians to support a product that wasnt willing to give any support back in return
    Guess Patriotism has levels.
    09-28-16 01:08 PM
    CBC news dropped the BB10 app, worsening the app gap. It was also widely reported that Trudeau complained about his BlackBerry, in public, on one occasion and I have read, in these forums, that he has an iPhone now. (Strange as Obama always loved his BlackBerry and Clinton uses ones.) The Ottawa Hospital used taxpayers money to deploy iPhones throughout while massive layoffs were happening nearby in Waterloo. The list goes on. Private companies were more supportive, like Canadian Tire which deployed BB10s and just today released an update to their excellent BB10 app.

BB, Still the One
    ardakca and terminatorx like this.
    As a Canadian why should I support an inferior product just because it wraps itself in the Canadian flag?
    1khalid and Alain_A like this.
    Hmm let me guess. Because it is home to many Canadians who worked there? Just for start. Not mentioning how it helps your economy and pride and stuff. But like I said Patriotism has levels.
    TCB on Z10 and OriginalLucy like this.
    09-28-16 01:13 PM
    As a Canadian why should I support an inferior product just because it wraps itself in the Canadian flag?
    What? BlackBerry never had a Canadian model like the Jakarta, never asked for Canadian government help, never advertised it was Canadian- based (most young people do not even know that).

BB, Still the One
    09-28-16 01:13 PM
    Hmm let me guess. Because it is home to many Canadians who worked there? Just for start. Not mentioning how it helps your economy and pride and stuff. But like I said Patriotism has levels.
    Unfortunately, "worked" is the operative word.

09-28-16 01:17 PM
    Well I am young too. But guess too old sport for the globalised world.
    09-28-16 01:18 PM
    We have maintained BlackBerry as our handset and MDM solutions from the inception. We will continue to carry them till they no longer serve our needs
    BlackBerry has done little to continue support of BlackBerry 10 and for the last few months we have been testing IOS and will eventually be forced to make the change. .

The sad truth is BlackBerry hasn't kept their word with a number of products and their foray into the Android market was a mistake. We cannot use Android for our needs and we will NOT jump onto the bandwagon.

BlackBerry took little or no interest in controlling their image that was damaged by the botched BlackBerry 10 launch and allowed the problem to multiple

As a Canadian it's sad that due to a series of "mistakes " within the last few years, BlackBerry has now gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Their focus on software was misplaced and what should have been done was to continue their App development program for BlackBerry 10, which would have gradually been building the confidence of the general public in the brand. Grant it with a "new " focus their reduced market share.

Their lack of confidence/ support in their own product has caused issues that has led to this point.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 01:21 PM
    I am korean and I do support Samsung but there are like 23% smartphone users are iphone users in Korea. Rest of users are pretty much Samsung and LG with android. I am sure Canadian care about blackberry but they stopped BB10 devices
    09-28-16 01:21 PM
    Where are the Canadians ?

waiting to import a Blackberry branded device sold by a third party Indonesian licensee and made by another third-party over in China?

Too soon?
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-16 01:24 PM
    Unfortunately, "worked" is the operative word.

Worked as a result maybe?
    09-28-16 01:24 PM
    Where are the Canadians ?

waiting to import a Blackberry branded device sold by a third party Indonesian licensee and made by another third-party over in China?

Too soon?
    That's Free Market, NAFTA and Globalization fallout. Your statement can be applied to anyone of a number of products.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-28-16 01:28 PM
    As a Canadian, I don't get why I'm supposed to blindly follow and support a company that has been making crappy products for years now. Just because a company is the same nationality I am, that shouldn't be the reason I buy their product! If this were true, how come there are so many German and Japanese cars in the states?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 01:30 PM
    I guess this post sadly says it all........
    ardakca and terminatorx like this.
    09-28-16 01:33 PM
    I guess this post sadly says it all........
    What exactly is" INFERIOR "in their products?? A lack of apps?? Please expand...

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-28-16 01:39 PM
    Just because the US government bailed out the US car companies, Canada would not do that for one of their own. If you're making poor business choices, and can't react fast enough what customers need, you're on your own and deserve your fate.
    09-28-16 01:39 PM
    That's Free Market, NAFTA and Globalization fallout. Your statement can be applied to anyone of a number of products.

Posted via CB10
    Not caught on today's news huh?
    09-28-16 01:44 PM
    Then they should make products that people want to buy. I'm not going to encourage a company to continue making inferior products by giving them my money just because they're Canadian.
    09-28-16 01:46 PM
163 123 ...