Er... Motorola is dead too. Only difference between it and Blackberry is somebody wanted to spend some bucks to buy its remains. But today's Motorola isn't the same old Motorola, not at all...

Cheers,
    I didn't say Android saved Moto, did I.
    09-29-16 12:17 PM
    So, let me get this straight: according to the Canadians in this thread and the other, BlackBerry began to fall with either Heins or Chen, but not with the Canadian leadership who failed to stay up to date and relevent? And from others, that BlackBerry has turned their backs to Canada because they are no longer going with an OS (BB10) that was practically dead on arrival?

It's seems that what you really want is a product that is unique to Canada, no matter how out of date it may be.
    You misunderstand my perspective.

There are no white hats or black hats here. No one should slavishly buy any product just because of nationalistic reasons. However, when a company is in trouble as iconic as Blackberry one might add an additional factor to the buying criteria...."and I'm helping a local company" if the purchasing decision is that close.

Of course, you have to have those sorts of feelings to begin with or it won't make any sense.
    09-29-16 12:26 PM
    A better question might be, "Where is BlackBerry?"

Posted via CB10 with my awesome Passport
    If they don't advertise like the other major competitors, no one will ever know where Blackberry is!
    09-29-16 12:38 PM
    Er... Motorola is dead too. Only difference between it and Blackberry is somebody wanted to spend some bucks to buy its remains. But today's Motorola isn't the same old Motorola, not at all...

Cheers,
    Motorola brand is still alive and kicking
    The company itself has remained fairly intact after the takeover too
    09-29-16 01:27 PM
    I'm an example of a Canadian who bought a BB largely because of it being a Canadian company, eh!

However, my son and his wife are examples of what sunk BB. Back in the OS7 days they both had BB devices that kept crapping out with hardware issues - if these handsets had been reliable, then they might still be using BB. Unfortunately, the quality wasn't there and now they're on Apple.

I was more fortunate with the timing and missed those phones.
    In a sense, it's very much like what happened to the domestic car makers (Ford, GM, Dodge) from the early 70s and onwards. Poor quality and gas inefficiency made it so the import cars ate them for lunch.

So, some of us Canucks are still trying to keep things afloat for both BB and domestic vehicles. Happily, the Ford and GM vehicles are much more attractive than they used to be.
    Similarly, the PRIV looks pretty neat and I'll be taking a hard look at it when my Classic's contract is up.

Until then, Canucks, unite and watch hockey and lacrosse!
    TCB on Z10 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    09-29-16 01:43 PM
    In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.
    You don't know...........all the Canadians are in Florida this time of the year....
    EchoTango and glwerry like this.
    09-29-16 02:31 PM
    So as a Canadian, I should by a phone made in China or India or Mexico from a company that imports them into Canada?

No as a Canadian, I buy what I want, not what John Chen wants.
    Apple phones are not made in USA yet Americans buy iphone all the time.
    09-29-16 03:22 PM
    one of the reasons why I buy blackberry is because the company is Canadian. I love priv.
    glwerry and EchoTango like this.
    09-29-16 03:24 PM
    The sad - very sad - reality is that BlackBerry has failed because their marketing has been terrible for the last three or four years. They have not supported their phone range with instore demos, instore publicity material, displays, dummy phones - the list goes on. I've lost count of the niumber of times I have gone into a phone store here in Canada, looking for a Passport or the (then-new) Priv, only to be told that they don't carry BB any more and wouldn't I like to look at the new iPhone. NO I would not !! I've even been told in a Fido store and a Rogers store that BlackBerry doesn't produce phones any more - that was over a year ago so it wasn't true then, although sadly it is now.

If they had put one-quarter the money into BB10 development and retailer support, together with a properly seeded program for app developers, we wouldn't be in this sorry state now. BB10 is the best OS for a phone on the planet, and they will have to pry my Passport out of my hands. But I've also bought a DTEK50, because I need some of the android apps that Chen and the gang obviously didn't think were needed. So sad, so sad. But nothing to do with being Canadian. Or, maybe it is - I'm sorry !!
    09-29-16 09:04 PM
    Apple phones are not made in USA yet Americans buy iphone all the time.
    So do dumb people all over the world. Nothing to do with nationality.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-29-16 09:05 PM
    I completely agree. If my country had such a brand, probably %90 of the handset customers would go with BlackBerry. I am also very surprised by the lack of support from the Canadian govt and operators. It is really hard to build a brand that is known all across the world. Guess Canadians don't care. Kim kardashian was more loyal I guess.

Never understood the Finns also. Letting Nokia die.
    Nokia is alive and well, as big as in the past.

The Canadian government helped to save GM and Crysler in 2008, not Nortel.
    Nortel was much bigger and much more important to the Canadian economy and history (it was 110 years old) than BlackBerry ever was.
    09-29-16 10:29 PM
    Nokia is alive and well, as big as in the past.

The Canadian government helped to save GM and Crysler in 2008, not Nortel.
    Nortel was much bigger and much more important to the Canadian economy and history (it was 110 years old) than BlackBerry ever was.
    Espoo is closed.
    09-30-16 12:03 AM
    By the way I would always buy from a local shop especially if it is a small family run shop as compared to multinational supermarkets or department stores or even 7Eleven wherever I can. I the reason is if I do this I help a kid to pay for school fees or send him to school.

If I were to buy from a multinational company the big CEO wouldn't need another big Mercedes-Benz or something like that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 12:21 AM
    Correct. The population of California is the same as all of Canada. My province alone is twice the size of California and only 1 million people live here. Nor do Americans even know what "Saskatchewan" likely is or have never heard of it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Being from the USA, I do know about Saskatchewan and have traveled most all of Canada on two wheels and also have a lot of Canadian friends and relatives. I have also done a lot business there in the auto industry.

We here in the USA have also seen a lot of our once great American companies being shipped out overseas for the sake of corporate greed. But, what I have found is that most young folks aren't being taught how a manufacturing base is the key to having economic prosperity and could care less as long as their iPhones can pay for their Starbucks coffee.

I have supported the Blackberry brand from the early days and have seen the rise and fall of the once great iconic brand here in the US. Folks are quick to forget the we Americans bought Blackberries by the millions in the early days and they once had over 60% of the market here and that the Blackberry founding fathers are still millionaires because of it.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-30-16 04:42 AM
    Cheer up Canadians !!!
    It may b the end of an era, but another era is about to start and that too in your country Canada.
    The Copperhead Os.
    So cheer up & make sure u support the beginning of a new era in all ways possible

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 07:50 AM
    Where are the Canadians?-cpvzrmvusaipdka.jpg
    Loosing the Signal Volume Two
    09-30-16 08:15 AM
    Being from the USA, I do know about Saskatchewan and have traveled most all of Canada on two wheels and also have a lot of Canadian friends and relatives. I have also done a lot business there in the auto industry.

We here in the USA have also seen a lot of our once great American companies being shipped out overseas for the sake of corporate greed. But, what I have found is that most young folks aren't being taught how a manufacturing base is the key to having economic prosperity and could care less as long as their iPhones can pay for their Starbucks coffee.

I have supported the Blackberry brand from the early days and have seen the rise and fall of the once great iconic brand here in the US. Folks are quick to forget the we Americans bought Blackberries by the millions in the early days and they once had over 60% of the market here and that the Blackberry founding fathers are still millionaires because of it.
    I SO appreciate your attitude and comment.
    My Pastor just dropped his son off at a Bible school in Oregon. At a family BBQ on the campus a young blonde asked the family if they were the people from Canada. When they replied that they were, she asked if that was a STATE. Argh.

This spring I toured the GM plant in Oshawa, Ontario - my Dad's home town. This plant once employed 20 THOUSAND people. Now it employs just over 2000. Yes, by sending everything to be built cheaper offshore we have really stuck a knife into our guts.

I work in the mining industry. Many people want us shut down because of the pollution. I understand their point, but they also don't understand things like how much tax money we pump back into the economy and little things like, "if we shut down all these copper mines, how are you going to get the electricity from the generating station to your fancy phone so that you can browse Facebook?".
    09-30-16 08:25 AM
    Where are the Canadians?

We're just following the example of our "do as we say and not as we do" Canadian political elite.

Albeit most of us aren't avoiding taxes in off shore accounts.

�\_()_/�
    09-30-16 09:32 AM
    Where are the Canadians?

Bell Centre. They play the Senators tomorrow.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Lies, those are the Canadiens, damn french

Via the Classy Classic
    09-30-16 09:39 AM
    Hmmm.

As a Canadian I have a number of issues with Mr. Chen's statement. And I am conflicted to say the least.

1. The market is the market - IF Mr. Chen was incapable as a manager to provide a product(s) the market, be it Canadian or other, desired, then is fault not that of Mr. Chen?

2. Following on from above, is Mr. Chen suggesting that we should close the market, as a nation promote, protect, apply barriers both tariff and non-tariff barriers, etc.?

3. I know many Canadians that still use BB. In my close circle of friends and family, I would calculate BB is a 1/4 of total phones.

4. This is from the head of a company that was, to be polite, inconsistent with design and strategy? Every product was something different - just compare the PP to the Priv.

5. Thi is from the CEO who continually undermined his own product by continually stating it might the last phone, hardware may be dropped just about every time he introduced a new handset . . .

6. This from the company that I personally as a senior country head of a global group could not get any traction with BB to support their product?

7. This is from the company that entered into a product testing period, 45 days before the announcement of the end of the Classic, with a competitor of my group? For those unfamiliar with large groups, the process of deciding to test a new platform (actually return to a platform is a long complicated process), is long and when the decision is made to purchase a couple of thousand units, to test is significant. There is no way BB was unaware 45 days out the Classic was dead. As a result, there is little trust to use BB solutions for MDM, etc. as the suspicion is the product will be dropped . . .

I could continue, but I find this somewhat disingenuous to say the least.... It almost seems to border of rambling . . .
    09-30-16 09:42 AM
    Folks are quick to forget the we Americans bought Blackberries by the millions in the early days
    And Jabil Circuits of Tampa Bay was BlackBerry's biggest contract manufacturer. The US sales force was another casualty of BlackBerry's decline. Sad on both sides of the border! Also, remember that Apple, who North Americans flocked to, pays its taxes to Ireland.

BB, Still the One
    09-30-16 09:47 AM
    They seem patriotic enough, but they're not crazy to pay the original prices BB wanted for their phones.
    09-30-16 10:09 AM

Then you are a rare exception. When a family member was in the US (he lived in Seattle for a year) the police accused him of having "a fake liscense plate!" They cop refused to believe Saskatchewan was a legit place! He had to call it in!

As for outsourcing, just remember, that is usually so a product can be built a lot cheaper and then offered to the consumer at a reduced cost. Don't forget how expensive things would cost the consumer if it was entirely built say......in the USA or Canada. I remember reading about what the cost of an iphone would be if it were built entirely in the US and it was something like $1700 once you pay all the high wages, etc. But I'm not sure if Apple has a union? Anyone? They have been known to promote striking and driving the prices up, ultimately.

This is why someone is dreaming when they say all the industry will move back to the US because NO ONE is going to buy a domestic automobile/product if it costs TWICE the cost that it used to. In many cases the only way many companies can survive is if they are built elsewhere. There are always two sides to every story.

Canada is now forced to close down the 5 star quality rated Oshawa GM Buick plant and I believe they also make the Camaros in Oshawa. Production will go back to the US because of strong job "Protectionism". After Canada had to spend BILLIONS to build these plants and GM promised to stay here. So now Canadians lose jobs and the quality of the cars may not match the high quality rating they had, so this is also not good for GM in the long run, sure it will be better for American jobs, if the companies can survive in the US without outsourcing, but not necessarily better for GM. Another reason GM likes to build cars here in Canada is because Canadians are already covered for Health Care, and this saves GM about 5 Billion a year I have read.

So just remember that when we talk about jobs, it may not always "benefit" American companies/products and there are detrimental effects to everything. I have a friend who is an Economics Professor and he says one of your Presidential candidates will bankrupt the BIg 3 because there is just no way Americans can built any product for cheaper than what they are built for elsewhere, and expect to sell them cheaper or at decent rates.

Take that as you want, but economics are a messy thing.

Also supposedly Canadians buy over 50% of the Big 3 American cars, the ones that are either built in the US or Canada, or the percentage USE to be that high at one point. So our countries are totally dependant on each other for trade! Canada and the US share the largest unprotected border in the world and more goods and services are traded than any other 2 countries. So we need each other whether we want to admit this or not!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-30-16 at 12:01 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-30-16 10:25 AM
    That is because a large portion of the US population are hypocrites. They will complain about US companies going overseas, but will not boycott their products or lobby the Government to change policies that are driving the companies out of country. Walk the Talk is my moto.
    09-30-16 10:31 AM
    That is because a large portion of the US population are hypocrites. They will complain about US companies going overseas, but will not boycott their products or lobby the Government to change policies that are driving the companies out of country. Walk the Talk is my moto.
    I think Americans are pretty tough. They protest if they don't like something. Most Canadians just sit and take whatever is dished out and we just talk about it.
    09-30-16 10:39 AM
163 ... 34567