Hi all,

Last Thursday I was in Ottawa at the Heart and Crown, and maybe it was the scotch, or that I had just had an opportunity to use a Passport, but my Z30 slipped from my hand at waist height, and hit the ground shattering the screen. I was so pissed off! I have dropped this phone a thousand times (never a case), and I mean some good, cartwheeling down the road for ten feet drops, or screen slides across the pavement, and no more than a ding on the corners. This must have been past its ninth life, and it is now toast. I admit, I got mad and threw it down (that was the scotch for sure), and now it will not turn on (power button missing, volume buttons missing), so I am wondering what to do. I have another 12 months almost on my upgrade cycle, and it will cost me $240 to buy out my subsidy. Any recommendations (besides don't be such an *** to my phone)? Should I try and repair? I am beyond simply replacing the screen with a new one from Ebay, so if anyone knows a good and trustworthy repair shop in the Barrie area, let me know.

Thanks so much for your advice and input.
    10-05-14 05:00 PM
    I don't know any repair shops in Barrie, but I did the same thing. I took my z30 to the mobilicity in the mall and had it back in a few days, good as new.

Passport!
    10-05-14 05:47 PM
    Thanks for your reply. How much did it cost you?
    10-05-14 05:56 PM
    Not cheap. $150, but most of that is the cost of the screen.

Passport!
    10-05-14 06:18 PM
    Whip it in lake simcoe and get a new one
    koves likes this.
    10-05-14 06:21 PM
    That sucks. A place not so close to Barrie would be the Pacific Mall. They have tons of little shops stocked with extra parts for most phones shipped I'm sure weekly right from the back door at Foxconn.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    10-05-14 06:21 PM
    Whip it in lake simcoe and get a new one

Oh, I would like to, but I really want to get the last of my data off of it first. It has been a month since last back up (I miss the BlackBerry Protect over the air backup a lot!), and not everything I do is saved on the sd card or to the cloud. argh.
    10-05-14 06:54 PM
    That sucks. A place not so close to Barrie would be the Pacific Mall. They have tons of little shops stocked with extra parts for most phones shipped I'm sure weekly right from the back door at Foxconn.
    Not too far of a drive, but would prefer something closer. Actually, I will be in Belleville for a couple of days, so if anyone knows any place there....
    10-05-14 06:55 PM
    Not cheap. $150, but most of that is the cost of the screen.
    150 is less than the cost of breaking the subsidy or buying a new one. I have seen lots of places advertise new screen and labour for 70, but I know that it needs more.

Anyone know how to extract the memory without the phone being able to be turned on?
    10-05-14 06:57 PM
    If you are a bit techy you can consider a diy.

One of the members did a screen replacement diy video. I think jc.

It's actually quite easy if you have the torx screwdrivers.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 07:44 PM
    There are a couple listings on eBay for Z30 battery complete with mid case. The mid case is the frame with buttons. Basically everything but the mainboard,cameras and screen. . I ordered one from a US seller and it was probably just under $20. As long as your main board is ok, this plus a new screen would make the phone look like new.

Posted via CB10
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-05-14 08:15 PM
    If you are a bit techy you can consider a diy.

One of the members did a screen replacement diy video. I think jc.

It's actually quite easy if you have the torx screwdrivers.
    I watched that one, and it does look super easy. My smallest Torx is #6, but again, I need more than a screen replacement, though I still want to try opening it myself.

This piece came off as well, and will not clip back on, there are two small connectors (circled), that appear to maybe have lost one small metal piece which may be causing the power to not turn on or maybe just related to the sound. Anyone know what these part are/do. It appears to be speaker, but does it also connect the power button to the motherboard? Where is the best BlackBerry repair in the Barrie area?-broken-z30-back.jpg
    10-05-14 08:47 PM
    There are a couple listings on eBay for Z30 battery complete with mid case. The mid case is the frame with buttons. Basically everything but the mainboard,cameras and screen. . I ordered one from a US seller and it was probably just under $20. As long as your main board is ok, this plus a new screen would make the phone look like new.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Robsteve. Do you remember which seller you used? I suppose this and a new screen and digitizer is still cheaper than a new phone. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and do that. If it turns out, to be no good, hopefully, I could turn around and sell the new parts.
    10-05-14 09:09 PM
    I watched that one, and it does look super easy. My smallest Torx is #6, but again, I need more than a screen replacement, though I still want to try opening it myself.

This piece came off as well, and will not clip back on, there are two small connectors (circled), that appear to maybe have lost one small metal piece which may be causing the power to not turn on or maybe just related to the sound. Anyone know what these part are/do. It appears to be speaker, but does it also connect the power button to the motherboard? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken z30 back.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	303472
    I got tons of torx t5 if you want some along with the other tools you need for older bbry s
    I live in Kitchener though lol

According to the diy sites you need a t5
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-05-14 09:13 PM
    It's item number 380974853785 on eBay and $12.95. It took about a week to arrive. I haven't done anything with it yet, just a spare as we have two Z30 in the house.

Posted via CB10
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-05-14 09:47 PM
    I got tons of torx t5 if you want some along with the other tools you need for older bbry s
    I live in Kitchener though lol

According to the diy sites you need a t5
    Thanks for the offer, but Kitchener is pretty far from me! I am going to pop into the Canada Computes and see what they have. The whole kits with torx and plastic part seperators are less than 10.00 at Amazon.ca, so no worries there
    10-05-14 10:48 PM
    It's item number 380974853785 on eBay and $12.95. It took about a week to arrive. I haven't done anything with it yet, just a spare as we have two Z30 in the house.

Posted via CB10
    I had looked at that seller earlier actually. Seems like a damn good deal. they mention that it will not work with the Verizon model, but mine is a 100-1 from Bell, so I believe that should be fine. What was your final cost with shipping?
    10-05-14 10:52 PM
    Thanks for the offer, but Kitchener is pretty far from me! I am going to pop into the Canada Computes and see what they have. The whole kits with torx and plastic part seperators are less than 10.00 at Amazon.ca, so no worries there
    Would ship to you for 5 lol complete set including parts seperators well that'd be like 60 cent shipping lol

Even with the legacy tools

Posted via CrackBerry App
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-05-14 11:42 PM
    I had looked at that seller earlier actually. Seems like a damn good deal. they mention that it will not work with the Verizon model, but mine is a 100-1 from Bell, so I believe that should be fine. What was your final cost with shipping?
    I think it was under $20 with shipping. The Verizon models are different because of the wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-06-14 06:12 AM

This piece came off as well, and will not clip back on, there are two small connectors (circled), that appear to maybe have lost one small metal piece which may be causing the power to not turn on or maybe just related to the sound. Anyone know what these part are/do. It appears to be speaker, but does it also connect the power button to the motherboard? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken z30 back.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	303472
    Hello HaberNik,

I got the same problem on dropping the z30 and lost something on the mainboard connector like you. these connectors look like not for necessary so I try to look for the description of them on the Internet and found your case happened one year ago. I wonder if your z30 still working without any problem even though lost a metal on that connector?

Appreciate to have your response. Thanks!
    05-09-15 04:15 AM