I was given an iPod touch recently from a friend of mine. He got himself an iPhone 4 and didn't need. Since my family is abroad, naturally, an iPod would be ideal to use apps that are not currently found on BB (namely Skype!).

Having to experience both the BlackBerry and the touch, made me realize how much I HATE touch screen keyboards and love that of my BlackBerry...

Forced to use the touch, I will admit I got attached to it, to the extend of even thinking of getting an iPhone. But I couldn't...

My blood is BlackBerry now. It's not longer a matter of a smartphone, it's more of a cult. I smile/chat with people that carry BlackBerry (definitely those having the 9900) because they get it, they know what they want from a smartphone.

This is the first time admitting that I wanted to go to an iPhone and I felt guilty so I wanted to share it with you guys.

I can tell (and I hope) that BB10 lives up to the expectations. Almost everyone in my circle of friends has an iPhone and they look at my BlackBerry as if it is something of the past. I wish that would change and make BlackBerry "the" device.

Can't wait for BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry for life!
    06-05-12 11:07 AM
    Great example of as what is can do is important.... how you do it trumps everyting.... That is what makes a user prefer on smartphone over another..... It becomes a waste of time time bashing other people's choices.....
    Mr.Monty and sleepngbear like this.
    06-05-12 11:14 AM
    The only company I'm loyal to, is the one I'm currently trying to get off the ground.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    06-05-12 11:27 AM
    I do agree on the concept of loyalty... but honestly, when it comes to the scenarios where I'm the one who is paying and expecting results, my loyalty always depends on satisfaction level...
    06-05-12 11:29 AM
    I'm loyal to the company only because it makes the devices that work best for me. I was a loyal Palm user until they destroyed a perfectly good device with an abortion of an OS called WinMo. I'll be the same with BlackBerry. As it is right now, there's simply nothing out there that does what I need a phone to do as well as a BB. Until that changes, I'm loyal.
    06-05-12 11:54 AM
    I'm loyal to the company only because it makes the devices that work best for me. I was a loyal Palm user until they destroyed a perfectly good device with an abortion of an OS called WinMo. I'll be the same with BlackBerry. As it is right now, there's simply nothing out there that does what I need a phone to do as well as a BB. Until that changes, I'm loyal.
    I miss the old Treo. My dad had one before his company switched to Blackberry I think it was the 700WX or something. Great little phone. And that was a solid piece. Much better than the comparable Blackberry of the time. Have no idea how it went so wrong after that.
    06-05-12 12:00 PM
    We all have "loyalties" to particular brands but I agree with another poster that performance always plays a key role. I've dabbled in iOS, Android, BB, etc and they each have their strengths and weaknesses. You just have to pick the one that serves your needs the best.
    06-05-12 12:15 PM
    I miss the old Treo. My dad had one before his company switched to Blackberry I think it was the 700WX or something. Great little phone. And that was a solid piece. Much better than the comparable Blackberry of the time. Have no idea how it went so wrong after that.
    I had a Treo, maybe it was a 680 or something like that. Loved that little device but the battery life was so bad.
    06-05-12 12:16 PM
    On a practical point of view, I'll tell you with no shame : just do what your needs and envy leads you to.
    On a personnal point of view, I'll state my loyalty to RIM is based on several things, two of the firsts being :
    1. It feets me like a glove, I'm a PC man.
    2. I don't want a (telco) world dominated by BigApple and GooDroid (or any "two-only" pair).
    BBMINI and ..Steve.. like this.
    06-05-12 12:21 PM
    I can only guess that Palm at that time found itself where RIM was a couple of years ago -- its aging proprietary OS could not be pushed any further, so it banked on WinMo to take it to the next level. Once they realized what garbage WinMo was, they tried a complete makeover with WebOS. But by that time Palm was even deeper down the toilet than RIM is now and was forced to do exactly what we're hoping RIM won't have to.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-05-12 12:28 PM
    i am a 9900 user....
    so i am not on the apple or android side....

but....what if bb10 isn't live up to the expectation of what we have expected? will you be sticking to bb or will you adapted to other OS like iphone and samsung?
    06-05-12 12:36 PM
    I tried a Treo and didn't like it. I was a Windows phone fan at the time.
    I use Android devices and I'm currently trying to love my 4S....it's a relationship building thing, I don't love it yet.
    Now....BB....that's my Beloved. I love it for what it does for me. I don't care that I can't watch Netflix on it, don't give a flying fig about Skype and I could not care less about the mood of birds or pigs. I love my BB because it manages my day better than anything else, because I can put banking apps on it without THAT much fear, because it is the tool I reach for first when I need something done.
    The others are fun devices. I love, love, love my Skyrocket. But even on that, I don't have a million apps and I haven't even fired up those hot topic apps like Skype.
    I can't wait for BB10 because of course I'd like a new device with a new OS to have fun with and to keep me productive...but I have not need for BB to become Android or iOS-like.
    And if there is ever a day that BB doesn't make me happy, I'll go off and stay with something else. But you won't catch me coming here and dumping tirade after tirade against RIM.
    Pdinos3, ewakil12, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    06-05-12 12:38 PM
    i am a 9900 user....

but....what if bb10 isn't live up to the expectation of what we have expected? will you be sticking to bb or will you adapted to other OS like iphone and samsung?
    I'll stick to my PB+9900 for mobility and maybe buy a domestic tablet (Samsung/Sony other...)
    06-05-12 12:38 PM
    i am a 9900 user....

As I said, if and when the time comes that a BB isn't the best option for what I need in a phone, whether that's BB10 or my trusty OLD 9900, I will have to seriously explore whatever better option there is. Although I must confess right now, I will likely be pretty disappointed and may not go out as quietly as Qubie. But I think before that day comes, RIM will indeed have to be well on its way to dead-and-buried, and nothing I could say will possibly be heard over the resounding choruses of see-I-told-you-so's.
    06-05-12 01:01 PM
    Personally I have no loyalty to any company. I've tried the iPhone and I didnt like it. Is it because I had a Blackberry before? maybe. But I hated how much it sucked as an actual phone.

The iPhone couldn't keep up with me. Why is my phone dead at lunch time? Why is this email coming in 45mins later? Why cant I type on this f*&^%$R$ keyboard!??

The apps were a lot of fun though. Im actually considering getting an iPod touch for the apps and to store music. Overall, for me my Blackberry just does what I need it to do. I dont really see that as brand loyalty. If it works, it works.
    shaleem and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-05-12 01:39 PM
    i also use a blackberry and an ipod touch... but i will see whether iphone5 will really be a good phone or not... if it is, then bye BB!
    06-05-12 01:57 PM
    I would be willing to bet that most folks who believe the iPhone is the end all, be all bee's knees smartphone, have never owned a BlackBerry phone, let alone a few generations of BB phones before switching to Apple. If you've never had a long term relationship with the BlackBerry, you don't know any better, so it's easy to see how someone with very little smartphone experience can fall head over heels over the Apple. That said, because my experience with BlackBerry spans well over 10 years and three models, switching over to an iPhone was a less then satisfactory experience. The physical keyboard on a BB is second to none, and with Bridge capability if you happen to own a PlayBook, there is no sane reason to switch to other platforms.
    06-05-12 03:10 PM
    When I had my 9700, I also got a iPod Touch to dabble around on. I, too, LOATHED that keyboard! I remember one instance when someone started chatting me via yahoo messenger, I was on the iPod. I tried to chat her back and it was so cumbersome I asked her to wait while I signed into yahoo messenger on my BB. When I got my first android device, the typing experience was a lot better. Then when I got my first HTC device I found I could type as fast (if not even faster) than on my BB. The stock HTC keyboard just seems very intuitive to me. I've tried a half dozen other keyboards just because I don't particularly care for the aesthetic of the HTC keyboard, but I can't find another I'm more productive on.

I'm not brand loyal, either, when it comes to most things. I collect Converse Chuck Taylors, but I run/walk in Asics and Mizuno. Baskin Robbins makes darn good ice cream, but I won't say no to a pint of Hagen Daaz. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee, but I won't scoff at Einstein Bros. I currently use Android phones, but I'm eagerly awaiting to see what BB10 brings.
    06-05-12 03:38 PM
    Personal "Loyalty" is becoming more of a Dodo. People tend to rely on crowd-thinking these days. Whatever everyone else has is what's "in" and therefore right for me, even if that's not entirely true.

Facts and figures matter less and less, as marketing and perception trumps consumers choices.

My advice OP is if you look towards those around you to validate your choices then you know what to do.

But if you've been honest with yourself and want to continue what's right for you then should the question of loyalty even be a question?
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    06-05-12 03:56 PM
    It all boils down to what works best for me (you) ....Right now, that is definitely BlackBerry for me. I understand the popularity of iPhone, and Android phones too. They obviously fill whatever needs those that use those devices have. Furthermore, they are really good products. I've said before that I could not care less whether BlackBerry is #1, #2, or # whatever as long as it does what I need, and want, it to do in an efficient manner. Now, having said that, I also know that RIM must come up with a very good product soon in order to stay in the mix. They do not need to be, nor should they try to be, all things to all people. In my opinion, if they have a great product, they will remain a force in the smartphone arena. I'm not going to bash other companies because it is a waste of time to do that and it is silly to do that. No one, and I mean no one, likes to be told that they are wrong for making the choice they made in anything. Personally, the choices I make are based upon what is best for me and no thought goes into whether anyone else approves of that choice.
    Last edited by shaleem; 06-05-12 at 04:31 PM.
    06-05-12 04:11 PM
    just bought a white 9900 out right, which I replaced my 9790, which I also bought out right. PLUS my playbook and black 9900 ive spent over $1000 in the last year on rim products eh. I'm probably buying bb10 once it comes out eh, but I still have another 2 years on my contract...... $$$$$$$ also don't get me started on the playbook 3g/lte eh.......
    06-05-12 05:27 PM
    I dunno if it is so much loyalty for me rather than my Blackberry smartphones working the way I want. I am on my third Blackberry since 2008 when I adopted it as my phone platform. I dabbled in iOS on insofar as owning an iPod Touch.

So what do I like about the iPod Touch and iOS? Easy simple to use interface and simple fun to use little cheap games. But would I sign a two contract to use an iPod Touch that can make phone calls known as an iPhone? Nah. I prefer the qwerty keyboard and the layout of the BB as a communications device along with solid enough app support where the only thing I feel it is missing really is a few simple fun games.

I know almost nothing about Windows phones as I know only two people that own them and I hear mixed things. As for Android, I hear all sorts of horror stories of apps that don't close which results in terrible battery life, some of the qwerty based build Android phones are either too bulky, big, or just feel cheaply made. I must have a QWERTY so the touch slabs are not an option for me.

So in the end, the BB is still a great communications device with capable multimedia, web browsing features, and just feels the best for me. My Bold 9900 is my baby, luv this phone.

I would completely reject the platform though if BB10 phones are all touch slabs and no traditional BB's with well built QWERTY keyboards. I am sure as not getting the London for that very reason, my Bold 9900 rox!
    06-05-12 07:18 PM
    I would be willing to bet that most folks who believe the iPhone is the end all, be all bee's knees smartphone, have never owned a BlackBerry phone, let alone a few generations of BB phones before switching to Apple. If you've never had a long term relationship with the BlackBerry, you don't know any better, so it's easy to see how someone with very little smartphone experience can fall head over heels over the Apple. That said, because my experience with BlackBerry spans well over 10 years and three models, switching over to an iPhone was a less then satisfactory experience. The physical keyboard on a BB is second to none, and with Bridge capability if you happen to own a PlayBook, there is no sane reason to switch to other platforms.
    Ive had every single BB available for verizon since 2005 + the bold 9700 & 9780.

I love the iPhone compared to my bold 9930. The battery life on both my bold 9930s (1 was a warranty replacement) sucked balls. I was shocked how bad it was, since i was use to my 9700/9780 that use to last 2-3 days.

I think too many BB people think that all iPhone users are just "iSheep".
    Besides the touch screen & BES, i don't see any benefit about using the 9930 over the iPhone.

My emails are instant on my iPhone (all google and exchange based), i have every single app i could want, and my battery lasts just as long as my 9930.

My main issue with BB isn't the hardware. I loved every bold's keyboard. BUT the app market & browser are slacking wayyyyy too much. I run my business off my phones since i travel a lot. I can check my CCTV, do my banking, and accounting all from either my razor maxx or iPhone. I can't do anything except email, bbm/text, & call on my BB. It's pathetic that BB doesn't even have apps for the major banks.

BTW i use my phones heavily between my work phone and personal, i go through roughly 6k minutes/month, 7-8k texts, and i don't even want to count the emails lol.

Don't even get me started about the Playbook
    06-05-12 07:37 PM
    Ive had every single BB available for verizon since 2005 + the bold 9700 & 9780.

I love the iPhone compared to my bold 9930. The battery life on both my bold 9930s (1 was a warranty replacement) sucked balls. I was shocked how bad it was, since i was use to my 9700/9780 that use to last 2-3 days.

I think too many BB people think that all iPhone users are just "iSheep".

Besides the touch screen & BES, i don't see any benefit about using the 9930 over the iPhone.

My emails are instant on my iPhone (all google and exchange based), i have every single app i could want, and my battery lasts just as long as my 9930.

My main issue with BB isn't the hardware. I loved every bold's keyboard. BUT the app market & browser are slacking wayyyyy too much. I run my business off my phones since i travel a lot. I can check my CCTV, do my banking, and accounting all from either my razor maxx or iPhone. I can't do anything except email, bbm/text, & call on my BB. It's pathetic that BB doesn't even have apps for the major banks.

BTW i use my phones heavily between my work phone and personal, i go through roughly 6k minutes/month, 7-8k texts, and i don't even want to count the emails lol.

Don't even get me started about the Playbook

Its also the little things why people prefer Blackberry.

Being able to control every setting on your phone, BEDSIDE mode (highly underrated!), LED notifications, the touchscreen-trackpad-keyboard combo (makes editing text a breeze!!), and overall how it functions as a messenging/communication device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    bigbmc26 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-05-12 08:48 PM
    My loyalties to BlackBerry certainly exist. Its what I'm used to, its what I've grown to rely on and I'd have a hard time giving it up.

Having said that, if a product came along which had promise and looked to be significantly better than the BB I was using, I'd at least have a play with it and consider it.

I really hope RIM stays strong, pulls BB10 out and turns a corner, but if BB10 fails we will all have to consider our loyalties and our alternatives.
    06-05-12 08:57 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD