Since we all talk about the Bold, and Thunder having 3G, when will we actually feel the effects on our 8330 Curves since they're 3G also?? I've noticed for the most part that my Berry is quicker as far as data is concerned, or is that only in my head?? What say all of you??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Apollo_Creed; 08-16-08 at 05:47 AM.
    08-16-08 05:33 AM
    FYI, the Javelin does NOT have 3G

08-16-08 05:44 AM
    I guess the only way you will know you're running on 3G is if it shows 3G on your screen. Carriers who are planning to roll out 3G will not tell you which sites are 3G active because of the testing process.
    08-16-08 05:51 AM
    I guess the only way you will know you're running on 3G is if it shows 3G on your screen. Carriers who are planning to roll out 3G will not tell you which sites are 3G active because of the testing process.
    Pardon my ignorance mobiman but for some reason I was under the impression that any site you were to visit would be 3G as coming from the carrier. I didn't realize that only certain sites would be 3G active.

08-16-08 05:55 AM
    Pardon my ignorance mobiman but for some reason I was under the impression that any site you were to visit would be 3G as coming from the carrier. I didn't realize that only certain sites would be 3G active.

he's referring to cell sites, not websites.

as for your 3g berry, it's faster in theory, but not much in practice since the qualcomm chipsets used int he 8330 are only Rev.0 capable, and not upgradable to Rev.A. EVDO Rev.0 tops out at 2.4Mbit/s downlink speed, while Rev.A tops out at 3.1Mbit/s. in reality, depending on implementation at the device level and software handlers, Rev.0 rarely gets over 500kbit/s downlink speeds, with occasional bursts around 700-800kbit/s. Rev.A devices are hitting 1.2-1.4Mbit/s pretty frequently on devices with matured operating systems.

so, ya... he new devices will have Rev.A capability and will give you a noticeable improvement in data speeds... hence the source of many complaints with users who switch from an EDGE device to the 8330 not seeing a big difference in downlink speeds. side by side, my 8330 is negligibly faster than my 8320 on a good day, but it's hardly noticeable in most cases. but compared to my Sprint/HTC Mogul on Rev.A, they're both slowpokes unless the 8320 is on wifi.
    Last edited by oakie; 08-16-08 at 08:58 AM.
    08-16-08 08:49 AM
    he's referring to cell sites, not websites.

as for your 3g berry, it's faster in theory, but not much in practice since the qualcomm chipsets used int he 8330 are only Rev.0 capable, and not upgradable to Rev.A. EVDO Rev.0 tops out at 2.4Mbit/s downlink speed, while Rev.A tops out at 3.1Mbit/s. in reality, depending on implementation at the device level and software handlers, Rev.0 rarely gets over 500kbit/s downlink speeds, with occasional bursts around 700-800kbit/s. Rev.A devices are hitting 1.2-1.4Mbit/s pretty frequently on devices with matured operating systems.

so, ya... he new devices will have Rev.A capability and will give you a noticeable improvement in data speeds... hence the source of many complaints with users who switch from an EDGE device to the 8330 not seeing a big difference in downlink speeds. side by side, my 8330 is negligibly faster than my 8320 on a good day, but it's hardly noticeable in most cases. but compared to my Sprint/HTC Mogul on Rev.A, they're both slowpokes unless the 8320 is on wifi.
    OK!! You're highly educated in this level from what I'm reading!! Good for you!!
    So I take it that it's in the making but not yet here. So from what the other poster said, we will be able to tell when we start seeing 3g on our Berries, correct??
    08-16-08 09:05 AM
    OK!! You're highly educated in this level from what I'm reading!! Good for you!!
    So I take it that it's in the making but not yet here. So from what the other poster said, we will be able to tell when we start seeing 3g on our Berries, correct??
    your 8330 is already a 3g device on the EVDO Rev.0 standard. when it displays "EVDO", it's on a 3g network. if it says "1xRTT", it's on the 2g network.

CDMA and GSM devices use different 3g technologies, but it seems most of the people in here have no clue beyond what their own device is capable of, but keep on typing like they know something. a GSM device will say "EDGE" when on a 2g/2.5g network and "3g" on a 3g network, as described by the person who said "you'll see '3g' on your screen".
    08-16-08 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD