Wondering to wait for the passport or get the z30 or z10.
    10-11-14 01:51 PM
    Well, VZW is not slated to offer the Passport and they discontinued the Z30.
    So you don't have much of a choice left.....afaik
    BBMan1121 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    10-11-14 01:53 PM
    Then I'm probably going to buy one of the two unlocked which do you suggest?
    10-11-14 01:56 PM
    Then I'm probably going to buy one of the two unlocked which do you suggest?
    For use on Verizon? It better be the Z30 STA100-3...aka the Verizon Z30. You can't use any other Z30 on Verizon, nor can you use the Passport that's out.
    Avenzuno and BBMan1121 like this.
    10-11-14 02:00 PM
    Thank you!
    10-11-14 02:09 PM
    For use on Verizon? It better be the Z30 STA100-3...aka the Verizon Z30. You can't use any other Z30 on Verizon, nor can you use the Passport that's out.
    Moves like this suggest to me that BlackBerry truly does not want to succeed in the US market. I know it knows little about American consumers, but I think I can speak for more than a few when I say consumers demand choice. It took awhile but the iPhone is available on every major American carrier. Why can't BlackBerry do the same for the Passport. It should learn from the Z30 mistake. Exclusivity to a single carrier is bad for the market potential of a phone. BlackBerry ought to maintain control, and cede anything to a carrier like Verizon. Hope Chen can ensure the Classic is widely available on all American carriers. I would tell him that that is what is necessary to make is Company attractive for a buyout.

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    BBMan1121 likes this.
    10-11-14 02:10 PM
    Moves like this suggest to me that BlackBerry truly does not want to succeed in the US market. I know it knows little about American consumers, but I think I can speak for more than a few when I say consumers demand choice. It took awhile but the iPhone is available on every major American carrier. Why can't BlackBerry do the same for the Passport. It should learn from the Z30 mistake. Exclusivity to a single carrier is bad for the market potential of a phone. BlackBerry ought to maintain control, and cede anything to a carrier like Verizon. Hope Chen can ensure the Classic is widely available on all American carriers. I would tell him that that is what is necessary to make is Company attractive for a buyout.
    It isn't just up to BlackBerry though--especially in the case of Verizon (and Sprint.)The biggest primary buyer for Verizon phones is Verizon. So if Verizon isn't interested, what can BB do? Even if 50,000 Verizon customers committed to buying a Verizon-capable Passport from BB, Verizon has to certify the device for use on their network. And if 50k is too small a number for Verizon, they won't certify it (at least the CDMA component)--they just aren't in the habit of certifying phones that they don't carry.

I'm sure BB too would love to have their devices available through as many carriers as possible--just look at the Z10 and especially the Q10. But if the CDMA carriers won't bite, they aren't going to manufacture the phones and end up with unsold inventory.

And exclusives. Exclusives are more often nobody else wanting it, than OEMs rewarding one carrier with it. Within the BB arena, this was true at least in the case of the Z30.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    10-11-14 02:23 PM

Posted via CB10 | VZW Z30 on at&t LTE
    I don't think BlackBerry wanted to make it an exclusive. But the way it works is that a device that doesn't sell well the carriers tell BlackBerry if you want us to sell it then we want an exclusive

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    10-11-14 02:26 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry wanted to make it an exclusive. But the way it works is that a device that doesn't sell well the carriers tell BlackBerry if you want us to sell it then we want an exclusive
    Seems that way. All the big carriers said No, except for AT&T, they said they will sell it but want the exclusivity. Sucks big time, but with high demand of the PP with it running out of stock multiple times on Amazon and BlackBerry' website, is shocking.
    10-11-14 02:40 PM
    If Passport is not going to be available; do you think the classic will be? I will wait for classic but if Verizon will not carry it I will have to switch to Iphone or Galaxy.
    10-11-14 03:01 PM
    Doesn't Verizon and Sprint use CDMA and they are roughly the few left in the world using this technology. BlackBerry produced the Passport for GSM networks, which is basically what the rest of the world has moved on to. Also, the US carriers and media have made it virtually impossible for BlackBerry to do business there. Apple is the home boy......I don't hold that against America, and America should stop holding BlackBerry Solely responsible for everything that doesn't go as planned State side. Those Americans that want to have BB10 devices will have to go direct or through their carriers the best they can. You will just have to demand a device from your carrier. Now if the Passport becomes a hit world wide, then you never know. Carriers might want a piece of the action.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:03 PM
    I remember previous CEO (Mike) saying they choose to go dev emerge markets during iPhone rage. essentially conceding the American consumers.

I don't know if that were his words verbatim, but essentially they (blackberry) weren't large enough to compete in both.
    Today things seem to be within that context more so than when he said it.

They're spreading things on thin, they're just isn't enough jelly in the Jar to go around.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:08 PM