My contacts have been awesomely organised from day one. I hate to think maybe this is a user - knowledge issue rather than an app issue...

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    07-23-14 03:13 PM
    My contacts have been awesomely organised from day one. I hate to think maybe this is a user - knowledge issue rather than an app issue...

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    It's not a user error and the issue has been well documented on this site and still no fix. I am glad your not having any issues, but there are allot of us tech savoy users out here who do and need it to be fixed, more sooner then later.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-23-14 07:21 PM
    It's not a user error and the issue has been well documented on this site and still no fix. I am glad your not having any issues, but there are allot of us tech savoy users out here who do and need it to be fixed, more sooner then later.

Fair enough. I just find it surprising. I teach smartphone use for a living, and have gone through hundreds of customer's contact lists on an individual basis (600+ since January), and have yet to encounter this issue, on any device, including a BB10 device.

So, I wonder if its carrier specific, or STL related, or who knows. I must be exacerbating.
    07-23-14 07:36 PM
    Fair enough. I just find it surprising. I teach smartphone use for a living, and have gone through hundreds of customer's contact lists on an individual basis (600+ since January), and have yet to encounter this issue, on any device, including a BB10 device.

So, I wonder if its carrier specific, or STL related, or who knows. I must be exacerbating.
    I am hoping it's fixed in 10.3, we should know soon enough, the classic and passport are being released in September and they will have 10.3.

campbecw likes this.
    07-23-14 07:52 PM
    I am hoping it's fixed in 10.3, we should know soon enough, the classic and passport are being released in September and they will have 10.3.

For me, I'm hoping 10.3 improves the Maps program. But that's besides the point: I hope 10.3 makes everything amazing, but even if it doesn't, the passport I'll be buying will still be amazing

07-23-14 08:03 PM

Should be, at least Michael Clewey confirmed it.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 02:11 AM
    So, how do you have your customers set up Contacts? I am thoroughly confused at this point, which makes me reluctant to fix my Z10. I want to return to the Hub, the browser, and 4G, but my old 3G OS6 Torch 9800 has zero problems w/ Contacts.
    07-24-14 12:17 PM
    So, how do you have your customers set up Contacts? I am thoroughly confused at this point, which makes me reluctant to fix my Z10. I want to return to the Hub, the browser, and 4G, but my old 3G OS6 Torch 9800 has zero problems w/ Contacts.
    Layer by layer. Same as I do it for my own: choose a primary, make sure it is all neatly organized (for me, that's Gmail, and I check my Gmail contact list regularly), add that on. Then choose a secondary (for me, that's an outlook.com account), make sure it is organized before loading it on, then load it on. If it is organized nicely, they'll line up very nicely. Then layer any other stuff in there you want. For me, that's Facebook. If you've got your names are organized right, it should match up Facebook contacts no problem.

I never use SIM contacts. Clear that B out. I never use local contacts; in the event that you phone crashes, anything you've saved on your local is gone. So, syncing contacts through your online accounts is 100% the way to go.

No local. No SIM. lay by layer, and making sure they're organized on Gmail and Outlook or whatever service FIRST, and THEN loading them on. Works every time.

Oh, and never use Outlook contacts. If you have contacts in outlook (the program, not the web-service) then export those and import to a synced service like Gmail.
    07-24-14 06:43 PM

Definitely more than user error. I had similar issues on my Z10, used to drive me nuts. The contacts app shouldn't be that difficult to set up and keep in order. I would constantly get duplicate contacts. I've never had these issues on Android or on the Windows Phone I'm currently using.
    07-24-14 07:08 PM
    Layer by layer. Same as I do it for my own: choose a primary, make sure it is all neatly organized (for me, that's Gmail, and I check my Gmail contact list regularly), add that on. Then choose a secondary (for me, that's an outlook.com account), make sure it is organized before loading it on, then load it on. If it is organized nicely, they'll line up very nicely. Then layer any other stuff in there you want. For me, that's Facebook. If you've got your names are organized right, it should match up Facebook contacts no problem.

I never use SIM contacts. Clear that B out. I never use local contacts; in the event that you phone crashes, anything you've saved on your local is gone. So, syncing contacts through your online accounts is 100% the way to go.

No local. No SIM. lay by layer, and making sure they're organized on Gmail and Outlook or whatever service FIRST, and THEN loading them on. Works every time.

Oh, and never use Outlook contacts. If you have contacts in outlook (the program, not the web-service) then export those and import to a synced service like Gmail.
    So, how do you enter a new contact; only on the cloud service (Gmail or Outlook.com)? That's a PITA.
    08-01-14 02:08 PM
    So, how do you enter a new contact; only on the cloud service (Gmail or Outlook.com)? That's a PITA.
    When you add a contact, the first question it asks is where you want to save it. Just select only your cloud account.

And as an update, I recently abandoned Gmail and exported my contacts to a different account. Added them to my Z30, and bam! Perfectly organised contact list again. No hitches whatsoever.

pogly2 likes this.
    08-01-14 05:17 PM
    I'm not sure where you get your statistics. You honestly think the contacts app works only for a "selected few"? That seems like quite a grand statement.

People come here with their problems. I grant you that dozens, or maybe even hundreds, of people have expressed issues. Many of those have solved their problems by being made aware of what they were doing wrong (like syncing with multiple cloud sources).

I think the biggest problem BlackBerry is having trying to "fix" the issue is trying to figure out what people are doing to cause it as they can't replicate it in house.

And when We have multiple contacts after take the time to "group" them. I don't mind how to fix that. BB give us multiple sync, and it is now a ****ty contacts list. I don't want to have all my People on the same cloud.

Any idea ? ( french english style, sry ! )

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 05:29 PM
    Those who are not having issues may not have multiple linked accounts or thousands of contacts carefully accumulated and curated over a decade or more. If you have 52 gmail contacts with a few phone numbers thrown in I imagine the system is more likely to work for you. I definitely have duplicated entries, duplicated fields within entries, random contacts linked together, identical contacts that refuse to remain linked, etc. At the very least a tool to audit the PIM database would be helpful (unlink all and run the re-link algorithm from scratch, for example); and the ability to merge/conform duplicate fields within a contact). BlackBerry did a horrible job of explaining/documenting how the PIM works, what criteria are used for "linking" contacts, what exactly happens when contacts are linked, what exactly happens when one edits a PIM field consisting of merged information. Leaving it to users to reverse engineer the PIM system by trial-and-error is just an unnecessary burden on users.
    10-30-14 11:41 AM
    When I get a new contact i always put it on my device first. Store locally and not on sim. I have never had an issue. Perhaps loading in contact lists from different sources creates an issue. Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:50 AM
    We are talking about the majority. Not the selected few.
    #BBFactCheck
    The Contacts app is worse than even BBOS. Damn even the BBOS contacts app did the job so well!
    I don't really understand what you mean with the contact app,i am always comparing the contact app with android and how good it is compare to android and ios, syncing Facebook sync out of the box, except some contacts that needs to be linked I don't think it's a big issue, I do it once and it's done I used the people app in android and completely not close to the BlackBerry contact app

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:13 PM
    It seems BlackBerry will never fix the contacts app. It's horrible and always has problems. I can't imagine it's that difficult to correct.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-30-14 02:16 PM
    I don't want a contact solution that requires me to sync my contacts with the cloud such as gmail or outlook.com. Local solutions only please. BlackBerry please fix the contacts app!!!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-30-14 04:40 PM
    What I have a hard time understanding is that I can sync my gmail account on any Android, IOS or Windows device without having duplicate contacts?

Why can't Blackberry get the contacts app up to par with the competition? I sure hope someone up there in Waterloo is reading these post!!!
    10-30-14 04:49 PM
    What I have a hard time understanding is that I can sync my gmail account on any Android, IOS or Windows device without having duplicate contacts?

Why can't Blackberry get the contacts app up to par with the competition? I sure hope someone up there in Waterloo is reading these post!!!
    Also with android I get duplicates and need to link some of them, android contacts don't sync with Facebook for example, with the BlackBerry I always have all my contacts with their pictures where on android I get ****, I don't understand the problem some of you describe I don't have a problem with the contacts app

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:37 PM
    Also with android I get duplicates and need to link some of them, android contacts don't sync with Facebook for example, with the BlackBerry I always have all my contacts with their pictures where on android I get ****, I don't understand the problem some of you describe I don't have a problem with the contacts app

Posted via CB10
    I glad you don't have problems with the contacts apps, but it is very well documented in this site that there are allot of folks out there that do have issues and it needs to be resolved.
    10-31-14 02:55 AM
    I glad you don't have problems with the contacts apps, but it is very well documented in this site that there are allot of folks out there that do have issues and it needs to be resolved.
    I Understand , I have all my contacts at Gmail have multiple accounts, I spend once time on fixing it on Gmail and arranged and since than I don't have problems except some contacts that I need to link together which is not so bad, I think no app can do it perfect, I use to do the same with the Android people app (join accounts)

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 04:59 AM
    I'm not sure where you get your statistics. You honestly think the contacts app works only for a "selected few"? That seems like quite a grand statement.

People come here with their problems. I grant you that dozens, or maybe even hundreds, of people have expressed issues. Many of those have solved their problems by being made aware of what they were doing wrong (like syncing with multiple cloud sources).

I think the biggest problem BlackBerry is having trying to "fix" the issue is trying to figure out what people are doing to cause it as they can't replicate it in house.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Bendgate only happened to a select few and look how much sh*t Apple is getting for it. Except the contacts app is a widespread problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:26 AM
    I finally fixed my contacts so that they work for me. I have over 1400 contacts, so it took 2 weeks, but this is what I did:

My contacts originally came from Outlook. FB really screwed it up. I had duplicates, merged contacts I didn't want merged, phone numbers that dialed incorrectly etc.

1 - in Outlook I had sometimes described the number (like:333-444-5555 FL office). I took out all the extra stuff after the number. I wish BlackBerry had more choices than work, home, mobile or other. (That's something IOS is good at. You can customize the headings of any number). I copied the number to notes so I can describe it if necessary.

2 - I removed the FB app and go to FB from the browser.

3 - saved every contact to Local. When it is backed up in Link it only backs up local contacts anyway.

4- when I put in a new contract, either in the phone or computer, I share it as an email. I don't sync anything.

5- I do a full backup fairly often with Link.

So far my contacts work well this way. I pray it continues, and my backups don't get messed up. I would hate to go through this again!!

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    10-31-14 10:48 AM
    I had this problem, with some contacts having as many as fifteen apparent "links" that couldn't be unlinked without losing the contact. What ultimately worked for me was the "all cloud" solution described above. All of my contacts are on Outlook.com (not Outlook, which I don't use); none are local or SIM.

But to get from the problem state to the solution was not easy. It wasn't a matter of just deleting the unwanted links, because this would generally cause more trouble, and the phantom links would reappear in hours or minutes. The more reliable way was to delete the whole contact and its cluster of links, recreate it on Outlook.com, and let it sync. That was a lot of work, but when it was done I had no further trouble. I can add contacts on the phone and they show up in Outlook.com as they should, and vice versa.

But the problem is that this shouldn't be necessary. And as some have already pointed out, not everbody wants to keep their contacts on a cloud service. They have their reasons, which I don't question.

In addition, even if I have the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts turned off in the Contacts app, which I do, the app still links them. It doesn't display my Facebook etc. as separate entries when turned off, but it still merges the Facebook info into the Outlook.com info, linking them. As far as I can tell, I can't stop it from doing that.
    10-31-14 02:08 PM

In addition, even if I have the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts turned off in the Contacts app, which I do, the app still links them. It doesn't display my Facebook etc. as separate entries when turned off, but it still merges the Facebook info into the Outlook.com info, linking them. As far as I can tell, I can't stop it from doing that.
    I had the same problem with FB. That's why I deleted the FB app altogether and just put a link to the browser FB in it's place!

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    10-31-14 06:12 PM
84 1234