Should I have wiped the blackberry first? I got it friday with tmobile,its a 8320 curve. I went home and updated to .124 without wiping it,could that cause a device memory being low issue??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 11:01 AM
    Not necessarily. I use crackmem to optimize the OS by taking off things I dont use. Then I install the OS. How much file free do you have now?
    03-30-09 11:19 AM
    It's not necessary to wipe the device before updating, since one of the steps in the update is wiping the device. Furthermore, although it's good practice to do a backup and backup 3rd party apps, and other update steps is backing up all data on the device and later restoring the data. If you wipe the device before updating, there will be nothing to backup and then restore.
    03-30-09 11:21 AM
    Ohh, crap I did that with crackmem (ie clicked all the stuff I wanted to uinstall) then I did not reinstall the os , I thought it just deleted it off the bb. I did not know that I had to reinstall thwos with those selections on. I'm a moron. ill do that tonight. Can I just reinstall .124 over itself??
    I have 23 megs free right now

03-30-09 11:28 AM
    If you have 23 right now your fine. You can wipe the device then reinstall but I dont think your need to.
    03-30-09 11:30 AM
    I just looked at my friends 8330 and his total memory says 83megs. Isn't it a 64meg ram curve like mine??

03-30-09 11:36 AM
    No. Yours is a gsm device with 64MB. His is a cdma device with 96MB total memory. Its showing 83MB instead of 96 because of the OS. Hold alt+left shift button+H and it will show you the info.
    03-30-09 12:07 PM
    So why does mine show total memory 55 meg?

03-30-09 12:27 PM
    Because your operating system. Mine shows 55 also. Its 64MB- OS= 55.
    03-30-09 12:30 PM
    Oh so the 55. Is what is availible after the os? Then how the heck can I get more. I checked before this post and I went from 22 megs down to 19....no clue why

03-30-09 12:50 PM
    What your seeing is file free. It will go down while your using apps. The more apps you use at the same time the lower that number will go. As long as its above 13 you should be ok. Also if your using facebook it will consume alot of file free.
    03-30-09 12:59 PM
    Then how come some peolpe post tha( they get like 35 or 40 free and they have more apps and the same phone as me?

03-30-09 02:05 PM
    Because they modify thier OS before they install it on their device. Crackmem will take things off the OS that you may not use. heres a link to it in my signature. Another way is to actually move files in the OS using your pc. I dont recommend doing it because you can "brick" your berry. Take a look at the memory optimization link in my signature also.
    03-30-09 02:09 PM
    Oh and to add to that.....they may or may not be running the same apps that you are. Reading the links I gave you should help you out some if you really want to get more file free. I personally dont think you need to though. I have alot of apps on both my curves and have no issues. Same file free as you.
    03-30-09 02:10 PM
    Ok, there is stuff like voice reconition, my favs pictures etc from tmobile I would like 2 delete,ill try a reinstall with crackmem sometime

03-30-09 02:27 PM
    Yea Crackmem will do it for you. Keep in mind that if you delete the Voice activated dialing you wont be able to go to options/about to see your file free or anything. But you can use alt+ left shift key+h and it will bringup the help screen with all the info you'll need.
    03-30-09 02:32 PM
    Whuy does that take the about creen a1ay

03-30-09 02:35 PM
    I honestly have no idea. Apparently they share a resource of some sort.
    03-30-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD