Ok, I am hooked, but I have called my US Cellular Carrier and they did admit occasionally they do have a "bad BB". I am still in the trial period I think. Mine is crashing all the time. I do have an intensive program on it...Epocrates.

I have reloaded it several times.

I have a couple of questions.

one. What is a "memory leak'?

two. Should I get a new BB and reload my stuff or just try wiping the BB I have and go from there? I am reasonably technically savy.
    Thanks
    Beverly
    06-26-09 08:35 PM
    Does it crash without that app? If it does, it might be the device - in that case use the return period to get it replaced.

The term memory leak is misused in my opinion, but the term refers to how a device's file free memory can drop as resources are tied up. One needs to monitor and manage the file free memory on their device by properly closing applications, clearing one's browser cache and not loading it up with a bunch of applications they don't use.

There is a great thread for creating and managing a BlackBerry's file free memory. The newer devices have much more file free memory than older devices and so can hold more applications, etc., but one still needs to be aware of how much memory they have and manage it as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 08:48 PM
    I take it back when it's called the Storm
    06-26-09 08:52 PM
    Here's the link to the memory optimization guide:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Check your file free amount at Options-status, one needs to keep their file free memory above 12mb or their device can start deleting messages and other data to create more file free memory.

Here are the steps I take to manage my file free memory:

Steps to free file free memory:

Clear your cache and event log:

Clear the Event Log: Open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select clear log.

To clear your browser's cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Then reset your Curve. A soft is usually good, but a hard reset is close to a battery pull:

Soft Reset for the Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.

Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Or simply do a battery pull: while your devide is on, remover the battery for 30 seconds, put it back in and let it reboot.

Then set up your browser:Browser Settings:
    Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

And finally, take a good look at your apps and delete the ones you don't need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 06-26-09 at 08:59 PM.
    06-26-09 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD