View Poll Results: What should be done when CDMA goes the way of the dodo?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • make phone smaller

2 7.14%
  • better camera

2 7.14%
  • better memory

9 32.14%
  • better battery

5 17.86%
  • better processor

10 35.71%
    Ok so it is inevitable that CDMA will one day not used, and so those of us who use CDMA phones will soon be using phones with a slightly smaller form factor. My question to you is,

do you want a smaller phone?
    Or would you rather have that space be filled with?
    • a bigger battery
    • better camera
    • better processor
    • extra memory

... or do you have any better ideas on what the extra space could be used for?

THIS IS ASSUMING THEY WOULD EVEN BOTHER WITH STILL MAKING TWO DIFFERENT SIZED PHONES LOL
    Last edited by tpapa5520; 07-01-09 at 05:43 PM.
    07-01-09 05:41 PM
    Commence the fight as to if CDMA is better than GSM. Verizon fan boys will jump all over it.
    07-01-09 05:56 PM
    lol i think people are still to tied up wringing each others necks from the BGR article to be bothered about a CDMA vs GSM debate... even though its clear show better
    07-01-09 05:59 PM
    Not to get on anyone's CDMA nerves , but GSM is a plus for me simply because of the fact that I can go to any country with the world and not be limited by the radio frequency. Especially with GSM BlackBerrys seeing how they're all quadband.

A better processor would definately be good .. hey, we could see HD playback on our future phones?

On a sidenote, a cellular dualcore processor is slated for release next year sometime .. imagine the possiblities!
    07-01-09 06:08 PM
    Commence the fight as to if CDMA is better than GSM. Verizon fan boys will jump all over it.
    I'm not touching this one!!
    07-01-09 06:24 PM
    I am in Florida, but HP\APPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-01-09 06:31 PM
    I'll worry about that when it happens... Happy Canada Day to all
    07-01-09 06:43 PM
    Battery for me. The last thing I need is a smaller phone and memory will always be on the upward side of growth, but I would love an extra day or two of juice.
    07-01-09 06:44 PM
    I'm confused. How does switching from cdma make your phone smaller?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 07:41 PM
    Well CDMA radios tend to make a phone bigger (more/bigger parts or something vs GSM), or atleast thats what I've read from people questioning size of CDMA BB's vs GSM BB's
    07-01-09 07:43 PM
    Wouldn't GSM have more parts to it though? CDMA just has the actual physical radio, but GSM would have the radio and a SIM card slot..?
    Last edited by raji.t; 07-01-09 at 09:09 PM.
    07-01-09 08:04 PM
    honestly I really don't know, and if I had the link to the thread where I got my info of cdma making phones bulkier i would give it to ya

You can kind of tell if you compare the tour to the 8900 and bold, the tour is smaller then the bold but bigger than the 8900.
    Last edited by tpapa5520; 07-01-09 at 08:48 PM.
    07-01-09 08:46 PM
    this post is wack first off theres only one 3g berry i know of for gsm in the US there is more i hope everywhere at lest with the 9500 being gsm only but all berries for cdma are 3g and cdma at lest in the US has a faster overall 3g speeds and as for processors qualcomm makes some pretty nice processors because the storm processor MSM 7600 can process 4million triangles a sec which is at psp's lv of graphics power but does rim know how to use that power no lol because the storm sucked pretty much till just recent maybe they should hire some of htc's programmers that way the storm and tour hardware might go to some use and for u being able to travel over seas with gsm phones well i can too with my storm and with the tour so all i dont have is wifi but i can live without wifi because where i live t-mobile sucks and well at&t sucks 2 but if i could live with at&t i would get an iphone over the bold i think the bold is just plain.(putting on my flamesuit)
    07-01-09 09:10 PM
    Granted, but the tour has both radios where the bold doesn't ..I really don't think the radio differs in size .. but that's just me.
    07-01-09 09:11 PM
    this post is wack first off
    yeah i know i realized it just as I was finishing it but I decided to go through with it anyways. I think its because I ate a bad lunch, didn't make me feel to good lol :S
    07-01-09 09:13 PM
    Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the 3G standard for GSM networks is WCDMA, which is a CDMA-based protocol that avoids the proprietary pieces of Qualcomm-based EV-DO. ANy GSM carrier that has migrated to a 3G network is operating a mix of GSM for 1G/2G speeds, and WCDMA for 3G speeds.

So, your Bold or any other "3G" phone (and the Storm for that matter) is a mixed GSM and CDMA device.
    07-02-09 07:56 AM
    Yep. The storm has both, GSM & CDMA. Well, at least the 9500 has, not really sure about the 9530. Anyone with a 9530 care to check what it says on their storm's radio engineering screen?
    07-02-09 08:38 AM
    I'm confused. How does switching from cdma make your phone smaller?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Less letters?
    07-02-09 09:56 AM
    Well CDMA radios tend to make a phone bigger (more/bigger parts or something vs GSM), or atleast thats what I've read from people questioning size of CDMA BB's vs GSM BB's
    All 8300 are essentially the same size. Internal layout may be a bit different, but the sizes are not noticably different.
    07-02-09 09:57 AM
    All 8300 are essentially the same size. Internal layout may be a bit different, but the sizes are not noticably different.
    Yea the only one that looks bigger is the 8350i and thats because it has PTT
    07-02-09 03:44 PM
    It's already finished in my book. Don't see myself ever using another CDMA device.
    07-02-09 03:48 PM
    Here in Panama Republic of Panama we dont have CDMA.
    We only use GSM
    07-02-09 07:24 PM
    I don't think I get it.......
    ITs not like GSM willbe around in its current form for too much longer either.......
    It looks like LTE will take the crown...so.....
    I don't get it
    07-03-09 07:35 AM
    Here in Panama Republic of Panama we dont have CDMA.
    We only use GSM
    yes we do have cdma in panama
    just all the new phones since 2-3 years ago are gsm based and we are expanding in gsm tech.

cdma is here and will always be here, there is no need to take the network down. Just turn on a cdma phone and you'll see what i mean.
    07-09-09 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD