When is RIM gonna make BB a legitimate contender again? Anybody else think RIM is focusing too much on the playbook and not enough on their phones?
    gabedabomb likes this.
    10-18-11 03:01 PM
    I agree, but they've decided to put all their eggs in the playbook basket, might as well see how it turns out at this point.
    10-18-11 03:10 PM
    The playbook looks cool, but as a phone user and not much of a tablet guy, it pains me to try and be loyal to RIM when I just got a new 9810 after loving my 9700 and still have to wait for these updates that seem to never come.
    10-18-11 03:12 PM
    If I were go guess I think rim sees an opratunity to release an OS like no other one has. Also I think they need to work it in with the current OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 03:35 PM
    Release a QNX BlackBerry phone already!
    10-18-11 03:37 PM
    When is RIM gonna make BB a legitimate contender again? Anybody else think RIM is focusing too much on the playbook and not enough on their phones?
    Read the RIM press release from this morning people....QNX will be folded into something called BBX, and it will certainly NOT be backward compatible, so forget that notion. I am quite sure it will run on newer phones, so please, let's avoid the 10000 posts about BBX not running on a two year old phone. There was also NO mention of any delivery timeframe on this new ground up OS, so it could be forever knowing RIM. And whoever posted that RIM is putting all of their eggs into the Playbook basket is tripping. There was a report today in teh WSJ that RIM has a couple of hundred thousand unsold Playbooks.....they are dead in the water, and when the Amazon Fire comes out in two weeks or so, there will be just two tablet players.....Apple and Amazon. And if you think otherwise, I dare you to buy 500 shares of RIM stock.
    10-18-11 03:45 PM
    i wouldnt take rim shares for free right now
    10-18-11 03:46 PM
    Their Playbook basket is not a competitor, nor will it be. Their product fell short and they need a massive overhaul, which I just don't see coming.
    10-18-11 05:38 PM
    Their Playbook basket is not a competitor, nor will it be. Their product fell short and they need a massive overhaul, which I just don't see coming.
    Can't agree with that. The PB has shortfalls and hasn't sold well, but they are trying to overhaul it and remarket with 2.0. Plus, I don't think RIM is putting all of their eggs in one basket (PB), so to speak. BBX is brand new, hasn't been released and has infinite potential right now. Let's hope this can be amazing for RIM. I am.
    10-18-11 05:53 PM
    The benefit of a unified platform (BBX), is that they can focus on developing the SDK and ecosystem using existing hardware (Playbook) and have it apply to all future devices. They focus on the playbook because that is essentially the development kit for the ecosystem. It sucks that they didn't show off any phones, but I guess they want developers to get accustomed to the ecosystem before releasing the phones. Reality is that it can't be that hard to put the hardware together once the software is locked.
    10-18-11 06:05 PM
    If RIM keeps dragging their heels, BBX, QNX whatever you want to call it will be obsolete by the time it's released. The competition is fierce and unrelenting today's Samsung/Nexus event will be a fine example.
    10-18-11 06:05 PM
    Can't agree with that. The PB has shortfalls and hasn't sold well, but they are trying to overhaul it and remarket with 2.0. Plus, I don't think RIM is putting all of their eggs in one basket (PB), so to speak. BBX is brand new, hasn't been released and has infinite potential right now. Let's hope this can be amazing for RIM. I am.
    BBX is brand new, no doubt. But can you really consider the Playbook a competitor, even with 2.0? Maybe eventually, but a redone product that never sold well in the first place will have serious issues jumping back into the game. While I may appreciate the idea behind bridging your device to your phone, I'd like to be able to use a Playbook without my phone. Maybe I'm just not up to date on the capabilities of the device, but until that happens, they will not compete. And let's be honest about the phones - while you and I might find the new phones to be fantastic as Blackberry users, to any non-Blackberry user, there isn't much of a difference between the old and the new. I'm still cheering for RIM, because I've been a BB user for 6 years now. But for where their products are right now, competition doesn't seem like it suits them well.
    10-18-11 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD