Few days ago I heard that BB 10 no longer relies on BIS for Emails.

What about other applications like BBM/Facebook/Twitter/Browser, do they still rely on BIS to function properly?

Thank you.
    03-21-13 09:16 PM
    My understanding is that only BBM depends on the BIS infrastructure. Not sure about BBM Voice or Video Calling. Wouldn't be surprised to find out BBID authentication or BB World depended on BIS.

But all of this happens on the back end now, invisible to users. No BIS plans are required.
    hzguo likes this.
    03-21-13 09:24 PM
    Well you don't need a BIS plan anymore. I believe bnm still runs off BIS though.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 L.E.
    Short answer is NO, no need for BIS on the new BB10 OS. You can use BBM for instance with only your BBID and a wifi connection (no sim card). Regular data plan that would work on any other smartphone is usable now for a BlackBerry. Where I am now, i'm using a data plan normally specific for "android users" as the carrier labels it! Activated the data on my Note and swapped the sim into the Z10, works like a charm.

Note...BBM does still go through the NOC
    hzguo likes this.
    I don't think most people know what NOC is. Pretty sure that's what most posters mean when they refer to BIS. That being differentiated from a BIS plan.
    03-21-13 09:35 PM
    Pretty much, it is the plan for older phones to connect to the NOC.

BIS would control email connectivity, including polling POP servers (taking the battery intensive part away from the phone), and push email to the device. The downside is that some emails would get truncated once they reached a certain size.

The push service is also used to push messages for Twitter, Facebook, and BBM. Other apps could also take advantage of integrating the push service.

Another part of the NOC's job is data compression. The web browser on older phones would get websites through the NOC, which compressed the data first. It slowed some website rendering, but sips much smaller amounts from your data plan.

The main difference with BB10 is the connection to the NOC doesn't need to go through a BIS plan. You still get BBM and push, but email and web no longer go through the NOC. Lower overhead for their servers, and no special data plan needed.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    03-22-13 06:20 AM
    The no BIS needed statement is not correct. The carriers have the option whether they require a BIS plan on the Z10 or not. You need to ask the carrier, though I assume if they are selling you a Z10, they will set you up on the proper data plan.

edit:

I just realized we may be asking the wrong question. The question may be does the carrier need to identify your phone as a BlackBerry to work on their system, or will any data plan work. Perhaps the Z10 is not using BIS, but may need provisioning on some carries as a BlackBerry to get access to some of the BlackBerry related services, such as BBM, and the new BBM video features.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-22-13 at 12:40 PM.
    03-22-13 12:09 PM
    Short answer is NO, no need for BIS on the new BB10 OS. You can use BBM for instance with only your BBID and a wifi connection (no sim card). Regular data plan that would work on any other smartphone is usable now for a BlackBerry. Where I am now, i'm using a data plan normally specific for "android users" as the carrier labels it! Activated the data on my Note and swapped the sim into the Z10, works like a charm.

Actually started a post about this practice of use a diffent data plan labeled Android or Apple. Switch to the blackberry plan just in case so atleast Blackberry gets some sort of recognition. The data plans are all the same price, and they dont charge you any extra or extend your plan.
    03-22-13 12:36 PM
    Been using my Z10 on ATT for a month now. I use BBM, use data and everything else without having to get any additional services. The only way I think you will need to be on any BES/BIS is when youre looking to use the balance feature. Balance is only available with that corporate account setup.
    03-22-13 12:39 PM