- CrackBerry Abuser
- 177 Posts
What's the story behind unlock codes?
I have recently unlocked my Z10 from Koodo. I have previously done so with the 9900 from Telus, as well as the 9800 from AT&T. In all cases, I have purchased the code over the internet, and it was a relatively painless process. Here's my question:
What's the business model behind Phone unlocking? Why can't I get the required code direct from the Carrier? Do the companies that sell the codes, get the codes from 'their guy' in a gray or black market sort of way? Or is it something like a genius computer hacker has figured out a weakness in the system, and is able to exploit it to generate codes?
As the warning on the Crackberry site states, why do some codes not always work?
Or, do the code providers legitimately purchase the codes from the carriers and then re-sell them with the full knowlege of the carriers?
Curious in Mexico
- By pabajo in forum BlackBerry UnlockingReplies: 11Last Post: 10-31-11, 03:32 PM
- By pgrudo01 in forum BlackBerry UnlockingReplies: 14Last Post: 03-22-10, 04:52 PM
- By pgrudo01 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 12-10-09, 09:10 AM
- By dariuszsz in forum BBOS Phone AccessoriesReplies: 10Last Post: 03-02-09, 07:19 AM
- By crackthisberry in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xxReplies: 9Last Post: 12-23-08, 01:03 PM