Serious question: What's the point of a physical keyboard? BlackBerry seems to have placed a lot of faith in it for the Priv.

My first BlackBerry was a Torch 9800. Not a great keyboard as it was small and required a fair bit of pressure on the keys. However, I have used other BB devices from Curves to Bolds and I can't say my typing speed was particularly good on any of them.

With my Z30's VKB, I can type faster than it can keep up. I'm often having to correct words because it lagged behind my input rate.

So what's the appeal of the PKB? Once your thumb has navigated to a button, the additional action of pressing a spring-loaded button seems like it would only slow down text input.
    01-22-16 02:01 AM
    You answered you question by yourself, me thinks... needing to correct cause you are to fast makes it slower again at the end

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 02:07 AM
    It's not always just about the speed.

For me, accuracy is the most important thing. Knowing that you've typed the correct keys because you could 'feel' each one as you pressed it, equates to saving time that you would have otherwise had to spend proof reading each word.

And also, there is a certain rhythm and flow that you can get when typing on a physical keyboard that the virtual keyboard doesn't match. When you have to go back and fix a word, your flow is cut off and it just doesn't feel the same. It's a far more enjoyable experience having your thoughts get translated into keystrokes without having them be broken up by the inevitable "s%#! f+@*ing autocorrect!" silent cursing that happens every time I try to type a long message with a virtual keyboard.

To each their own. For me, it's less about how fast I can move my thumbs and more about the flow.
    01-22-16 02:20 AM
    To type on.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    jope28, acovey and Smokeaire like this.
    01-22-16 05:10 AM
    Apart from the aesthetic preference of physical keys, and the increase accuracy it often brings, the Priv keyboard allows you to type when you still wish to see the entire screen (Web forms and such). It also provides shortcut keys (top of page, bottom of page, compose email, etc, etc) which gets things done a lot faster when you are proficient.
    01-22-16 06:52 AM
    What everyone else said plus: I'm really loving using the pkb as a browsing tool... my screen is completely viewable as I scroll through different types of content. Almost Evey time I grab the phone my first swipe is to open the keyboard.

It would be real cool to be able to do pinch gestures on the kbd too (zoom in/out). Baby steps...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    01-22-16 07:59 AM
    Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is the same lol.

Speed isn't what everyone is looking for in typing experiences and once you master either type (ha! pun intended) of KB, the differences aren't significant in real world scenarios.

First off, I don't like the "feel" of tapping on glass and like the ability to type without looking at times or being able to quickly look up but still keep typing (only appreciated once needed and mastered).

The swipe feature of the Passport keyboard is something that I feel has helped my typing experience, so I guess it's kind of like a marriage between touch and physical KB lol.

I use my device in such a way that I'm working with mail/text and docs all day long.
    If I had an all touch device, I'd have the virtual KB on that screen probably 80% of the time. I'm reading or looking at something maybe no more than 20% of the time. Am "always" typing, part of why BlackBerry has always been my friend lol.
    My use case 'needs' have me typing more than actually reading the docs or texts.

I see more of the text I'm working with since there isn't a virtual keyboard taking up so much screen real estate. VKB can be pulled up for symbols on the Passport, but disappears once the character is selected.

At the end of the day, it's personal use case/preference and depends on the type of work you do.

The masses don't mind typing on glass and prefer it because most people's use case for work is different than it is for others.

I think most users are fine with quickly pulling up a touch keyboard when needed and getting it out the way quickly. Then, continuing to use their device according to their use case.

And..... the almighty KB shortcuts!!!! Lol

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 01-22-16 at 08:42 AM.
    01-22-16 08:07 AM
    It's what some are just use to... and what they have become proficient using.

I really think that if the PRIV had been priced more like a NEXUS device and given that level of marketing... there is a much larger fan base then BlackBerry is currently connecting too with the PRIV.

But then again I've heard of a few hard core BlackBerry fans admit that they hardly ever open their PRIVs...... touch is just so easy to use.
    01-22-16 08:18 AM
    I like the keyboard. I think it provides/satisfies the tactile input some miss. Just like some people who prefer feeling the pages of a book or newspaper instead of reading it online.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 08:21 AM
    Any further explanation required?

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 388716
    01-22-16 05:28 PM
    I feel sort of disconnected from the device (even a bit helpless) when using a VKB...

You always have to stare at the screen, mostly the keyboard part, whereas with a PKB I can watch the words appear as they are typed out, as if by magic... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    01-22-16 05:51 PM
    "What's the point of a PKB?"

To satisfy those that don't want a virtual keyboard.
    Sal1982 likes this.
    01-22-16 06:10 PM
    There's just something about the BlackBerry PKB. I like the way it looks, and the clicky-ness, and it is just fun to use, and it just makes me want to type stuff lol
    01-22-16 07:04 PM
    Accuracy. And that very addictive clicky sound.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 11:10 PM
    Serious question: What's the point of a physical keyboard? BlackBerry seems to have placed a lot of faith in it for the Priv.

My first BlackBerry was a Torch 9800. Not a great keyboard as it was small and required a fair bit of pressure on the keys. However, I have used other BB devices from Curves to Bolds and I can't say my typing speed was particularly good on any of them.

With my Z30's VKB, I can type faster than it can keep up. I'm often having to correct words because it lagged behind my input rate.

So what's the appeal of the PKB? Once your thumb has navigated to a button, the additional action of pressing a spring-loaded button seems like it would only slow down text input.
    Another reason my (assumed) young friend is when you get older and your fingers shake you will find a VKB is a tool designed to drive you mad. (more errors then correct letters) I even find using a tablet difficult. With the PKB I can place my fingers on the keys w/o creating an actual input until I push on the key. Not fast but readable. If all phones were VKB I would be using a flip phone with buttons.
    01-23-16 11:44 PM
    Simply put there are still many who hate typing on glass and would rather the feel, accuracy of PKB

I was in the latter camp till BlackBerry 10 all touch. That changed my opinion completely. The passport isn't you regular PKB either.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 01-24-16 at 10:01 AM.
    01-24-16 09:46 AM
    As a current BlackBerry Q10 user, I would only use phones with physical QWERTY keyboard. And I feel that many people do not fully understand the full potential of physical keyboard capabilities.

Here are some of my reasonings.

1. Autocorrect will not do ****, for personal names, street addresses, passwords, numbers, and number/letter combos.

In order for any touchscreen autocorrect to work, the word first has to be in the dictionary right? I have to regularly type addresses and other people's names in my phone usage. And this is where the physical keyboard accuracy comes in. Yes, I am aware that I can add words to the dictionary, but there are plenty of times when I have to type in brand new words.

2. Physical keyboard is more than just for typing, it is a shortcut key available for launching apps, making phone calls, and in-app actions.
    With BB10, I can assign a contact, or an app for each keyboard key. For instance, I can press "m" from the home screen which can call my mother. Or I can press "b" to launch the browser, "q" for making the phone silent. There are 26 alphabets. That means you can have at least 26 contact, and app shortcut right from the home screen.
    Ever had to scroll to the top from the bottom of a lengthy document? I can press "t" to get back to the top, instead of manually scrolling. There are these keyboard shortcut keys assigned for all of core apps from BlackBerry.

For search function on my physical keyboard BlackBerry Q10, I can just start typing what I want from the home screen instead of having to first launch a search app, and then typing which would be the case on all touch screen phones.

With the slider, the keyboard shortcuts "can" still work, but it will be less efficient since you would have to open up the keyboard first to get access.

3. Physical keyboard phones are better for your neck.

With the way autocorrecting works, if you mess up one word, you are going to mess up your entire sentence because autocorrect nowadays takes into account the entire grammer/sentence structure.
    So you still have to look down at your phone screen when you type on a touchscreen, even with the autocorrect.
    And looking down on the phone for a long period of time is really bad for your neck.
    Your smartphone is a pain in the neck - CNN.com

With my phyiscal keyboard BlackBerry Q10, I can type blindedly without looking down on the phone because I can feel the angled surface on the keyboard with my finger tips. Now, I do not get any neck pains even from writing long emails.

I am also a lot more comfortable walking and texting since I can look where I am going, and let my thumbs do the typing.

Posted via CB10
    Sal1982 likes this.
    01-24-16 03:41 PM
    the point of a physical keyboard is to give options to people like me that want one. and we have very few options to choose from. you don't.
    01-24-16 04:05 PM
    I just simply enjoy typing on a PKB a lot better than tapping on glass. It is an interaction thing.
    01-24-16 04:12 PM
    The PKB is the primary reason why loyal Blackberry purist buy the device. I was one of those folks with "Blackberry Thumbs" and wouldn't use anything else.

I have only recently went the way of the touch screen because I am older now and just prefer a touch device at this point in my life and years of repetitive task and typing have taken their toll on my hands.

I still use the PKB on my Priv occasionally and I do like the capacitive mouse and scrolling functions on the physical keyboard.

This is just my option so be gentle folks!!

For me, Blackberry gained their fame from the PKB and I think the PKB is so iconic and I couldn't see the company ever stop making devices without it.
    01-24-16 06:17 PM
    The PKB is the primary reason why loyal Blackberry purist buy the device. I was one of those folks with "Blackberry Thumbs" and wouldn't use anything else.

I have only recently went the way of the touch screen because I am older now and just prefer a touch device at this point in my life and years of repetitive task and typing have taken their toll on my hands.

I still use the PKB on my Priv occasionally and I do like the capacitive mouse and scrolling functions on the physical keyboard.

For me, Blackberry gained their fame from the PKB and I think the PKB is so iconic and I couldn't see the company ever stop making devices without it.
    I agree. The PKB is nice, but most people have changed.
    01-24-16 06:58 PM

I agree that one of the major attractions of a Blackberry phone is the PKB. It is for me. My first smartphone was a Blackberry Curve. I loved it. After three Curves I went with the first Google Nexus. Since then I have used 5 Android phones I hated tap typing on the touch screen, even when I was a beta tester for Swiftkey. I missed the Blackberry keyboard. It was the Passport that brought me back.
    I understand there are those that love the VKB. My wife does, even though she has a Priv. She can't use the PKB very well due to her finger nails.
    If BlackBerry can produce phones with both PKb/VKb combinations or one PKB only version and a VKB alternative it will appeal to a wider range of users. Being Android won't hurt either.
    01-24-16 07:10 PM

The appeal is accuracy and comfort. Also speed without mistakes. Also not having to use auto-correct. Again, comfort, long-term extended use is more comfortable. It's also more satisfying. It also is better for fatigue: I know friends whose thumbs are dying due to typing on glass...mine are fine on a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 07:25 PM
    I agree. The PKB is nice, but most people have changed.
    You have my vote there that the market has changed and the major percentage of users prefer the touchscreen versus a PKB.

I was just pointing out that most of the older crowd who was around in the beginning, will always associate the PKB with Blackberry.
    01-24-16 07:28 PM
    You have my vote there that the market has changed and the major percentage of users prefer the touchscreen versus a PKB.

I was just pointing out that most of the older crowd who was around in the beginning, will always associate the PKB with Blackberry.
    Agree, I'm one of that older crowd!
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-24-16 07:31 PM
29 12