I have a Playbook and Bold 9900.
    My Playbook is able to synchronize emails, contacts and calendars from Gmail or Exchange account. Exchange emails arrive on Playbook much faster than they arrive on my Bold 9900, and 9900 is not even to synchronize with Exchange calendar using BIS.

So.. I cannot understand why Blackberry keeps BIS service? Why doesn't BB 10 use native Email client rather than BIS? Does BIS provide any advantage at all over conventional Email client like the one on Playbook?
    03-12-13 09:47 PM
    Much lower data usage through compression

Ability to use POP3 accounts without having to poll for messages every 15 minutes, also provides an SMTP relay so you can send messages via your email address when not connected to your ISP.

It enabled providers to set up plans like "BBM, Facebook and Twitter" plans without data plans

The PlayBook email experience is horrid. Try and delete a message from the PlayBook without it deleting it from the server. You can't, because the whole point of synchronization is to keep all devices "in sync".

BB10 sadly doesn't use BIS.
    hzguo likes this.
    03-13-13 02:00 AM
    wow thanks... I never knew that BB10 does not use BIS anymore. Does that mean BB10 manage its own Email services?
    I thought I've seen Blackberry service icon on a few screenshots, thus I thought BB10 still relies on BIS for personal Emails.
    03-13-13 02:11 AM
    BB10 does not use BIS to manage email accounts. It's the same crippled crap that's available on every other phone platform now.
    03-13-13 02:26 AM
    Lol wait...

So are you proposing that the email experience, in terms of synchronization, is better on legacy berries now?

If I switch to BB10, what specifically will I miss? Does it have support for GMail functions like legacy does with the plugun? Does it no longer give options for deleting on handheld, device, or both?
    03-13-13 03:01 AM
    There is no longer the option to delete from the handheld and leave a message on the server, nor can you download from the server on your desktop PC and leave some messages on your phone. Everything is sync'd, what you do on one device is mirrored across all devices connected to the email account.
    03-13-13 03:26 AM
    Right...I get that...but other than that design limitation or what have you, I think the overall experience has still greatly improved.

Specifically, I read somewhere that BB10 brings better mail/calendar/contacts sync that existed on legacy BB OS only as "special case support" with enhanced GMail plugin. Have you heard that?
    03-13-13 05:15 PM
    Fact is that around the world there are still lots of older BB OS devices and BB will need to continue to service em while the BB10 develops and grow.
    03-13-13 05:56 PM