Ive seen the neg reviews. I would like to buy a leap for my wife. I am not on FB. Will she be able to comment, like and post photos with the new app? I understand the share button within the gallery/ camera app will likely not give the "share" option, but does the other stuff work- basic FB mechanics? She would be new to BB10, so she will not know she's missing the hub integration. I personally don't mind this- FB is mining people's data so much, that it's refreshing (?) to have a privacy consideration with a BB. We would become a 2 BB household. Just to share, the main reason I am considering is the BBM integrated video calls. I was never a fan of Skype and always liked the playbook's integrated video chat (before BB made that more difficult). I have a classic, unlocked. I'm on the T-Mo $30 plan and have a hotspot, wifi calling and of course a pkb. Pretty close to perfect for my use, tho I keep a nexus 7 on hand for a couple of apps. I don't mind though. 2 devices is not as bad as some on this forum make it out to be...and I love the hub. Would be very hard to go back to android.
    04-06-16 08:15 AM
    If FB is her thing, then no. Get her another device as FB will stop support on all BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 08:37 AM
    Basically there is no longer a FB app on BB10. You can only use the browser to use Facebook.

It's not that bad, but having an app was definitely easier.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 08:40 AM
    No. Go droid or ios

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-06-16 08:44 AM
    In my opinion, bbm video calling more important than a reduction in fb from an app to the website, but usage varies depending on the user.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 09:13 AM
    FB is one of her considerations, perhaps a critical one- she's using a firephone at the moment that we got for $60 w prime last summer. FB does not need to be robust on BB, just commenting, "liking" and posting pics...basic functionality. That's the Q.
    04-06-16 09:15 AM
    In my opinion, bbm video calling more important than a reduction in fb from an app to the website, but usage varies depending on the user.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but completely no FB at all is not an option.

BTW, I used android for a long time. I just hated having to - without choice- update 18 google applications. I don't use google services, I dropped those awhile ago. Only have gmail for PlayStore access and will shortly be linking that account to a burner. I am not a fan of google. CM 12 is on the nexus 7. A far better android experience, but I would prefer something less open source for my main phone.
    04-06-16 09:19 AM
    anyone? I need perspective on "liking" commenting and pic uploads...
    04-06-16 11:45 AM
    Just get the poor woman a decent phone instead of a garbage Leap..
    cribble2k likes this.
    04-06-16 11:53 AM
    Just get the poor woman a decent phone instead of a garbage Leap..
    Wow. Looking for a little more from the community...I know these are dark(er) days for BB as a brand, but really, I don't want a $500 phone, I don't want google android, I don't want the priv. I buy phones outright and not on 2 yr plans, so this is an important consideration, ie FB. Since Im not on FB- and this is a recent change to BB, I thought I'd ask.
    04-06-16 12:11 PM
    Wow. Looking for a little more from the community...I know these are dark(er) days for BB as a brand, but really, I don't want a $500 phone, I don't want google android, I don't want the priv. I buy phones outright and not on 2 yr plans, so this is an important consideration, ie FB. Since Im not on FB- and this is a recent change to BB, I thought I'd ask.
    There is no fb app in BB10 anymore. It's a shortcut to the mobile site. That's it.

The leap is garbage. Look into a nice Huawei or even a used nexus device.

Great products at great prices. Blackberry makes garbage these days.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    04-06-16 12:21 PM
    I read the Leap forums, I know it's not the best, but there are quite a few happy customers. I find the software to be the most compelling aspect, not the hardware- note native video calling.

Let me ask it this way: does the mobile site permit a BB user to comment, like and post photos? is basic desktop functionality available?
    04-06-16 12:46 PM
    The mobile site allows all of those things and is actually better than the app.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 12:47 PM
    Yeah mobile site does everything.

For the same amount of money for a leap, get a Z30. It's is the superior device. Same software.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    04-06-16 12:49 PM
    Just try it on the Classic that you say you already own and see if it is functional ...
    04-06-16 12:57 PM
    Just try it on the Classic that you say you already own and see if it is functional ...
    Thank you Aman. Yes, I may. I was thinking of buying it w/o her knowing

z30 is a little too old- I have researched the internals and know the z30 is better, but a dark(er) oled and a lesser camera (which w BB is saying a lot) are the considerations. although I mess around with software a bunch, I'd prefer a shopBB phone that has more recent software as opposed to an older phone that might require I do some sort of update. Ive lurked here long enough to know about autoloaders etc, I just don't want to mess around with that stuff on a main device. I know I can do it, I just don't want to and if I buy unlocked vs carrier, I don't have to.
    04-06-16 02:08 PM
    and thank you Mr. Vieira...
    04-06-16 02:10 PM
    also, I did see that there are lesser LTE bands on the z30. Im in North America and that is would be the biggest consideration.
    04-06-16 02:11 PM
    Ask your wife to be the judge of whether or not the mobile version of Facebook is good enough. All she has to do is use it on her current phone in any browser. If the answer is "no" then look elsewhere.

From my experience, the mobile version of FB was not rated as "good enough" by users on these forums when we were all clamoring for BB to update the app.

Of course now, it's the bees knees - even though the functionality of mobile FB hasn't improved.

Seriously, don't ask us, ask your wife - she'll know better than anyone around here if the mobile version meets her needs.
    web99 likes this.
    04-06-16 02:21 PM
    Ask your wife to be the judge of whether or not the mobile version of Facebook is good enough. All she has to do is use it on her current phone in any browser. If the answer is "no" then look elsewhere.

From my experience, the mobile version of FB was not rated as "good enough" by users on these forums when we were all clamoring for BB to update the app.

Of course now, it's the bees knees - even though the functionality of mobile FB hasn't improved.

Seriously, don't ask us, ask your wife - she'll know better than anyone around here if the mobile version meets her needs.
    Fair enough, but (perhaps not surprisingly) there's very little on the new FB "app" itself. Just a lot of noise on hub integration. I posted this after reviewing a ton of posts on the topic and looking on youtube for some discussion- something other than "FB drops BB." No real review on the functionality- other than "better battery life." A lot of comments saying "it sucks." Just wanted a more neutral perspective and not just more on the lost hub integration (Android phones do this with the contacts as well and throw them all in one "contact" bucket. Ive always hated that, I just want phone contacts on my phone).
    04-06-16 02:48 PM
    The Facebook webapp works fine for what it is. She shouldn't have any problems posting comments, likes, sending messages or doing anything really except not receiving notifications of course. Depending on what she's coming from she probably won't have any issues with it.
    04-06-16 07:28 PM
    Fair enough, but (perhaps not surprisingly) there's very little on the new FB "app" itself. Just a lot of noise on hub integration. I posted this after reviewing a ton of posts on the topic and looking on youtube for some discussion- something other than "FB drops BB." No real review on the functionality- other than "better battery life." A lot of comments saying "it sucks." Just wanted a more neutral perspective and not just more on the lost hub integration (Android phones do this with the contacts as well and throw them all in one "contact" bucket. Ive always hated that, I just want phone contacts on my phone).
    The new "app" is simply a link to the mobile website. Hence the lack of Hub integration. Also, not a real app, hence the "it sucks" comments.

As for Android, you can always customize the visible contacts. Similar to the way it works under BB10.

Personally, having used the mobile website, I feel it sucks compared to the iOS and Amdroid apps. Get one level deep to post a comment and then you have to use the browser's back navigation to return to your timeline. Which puts you back at the top and not where you left off.

Please let us know what your wife thinks after she tries out the mobile website.
    04-06-16 07:52 PM
    With all due respect, its not what you want....If your really want to get your wife a phone stop thinking about what you will get out of it and get the phone that will work for her...After all she will be the one using it.
    04-06-16 08:27 PM
    Basically, it's just a link but the FB app sucked anyway. I had to use the mobile browser in the last iteration of the BB10 FB app because the app was so hinky.
    Now at least there's like a quick link to the mobile browser Facebook page...just no Hub notifications.

Still rockin the  Z30 and lovin it! BB10 still king!
    04-06-16 08:31 PM
    With all due respect, its not what you want....If your really want to get your wife a phone stop thinking about what you will get out of it and get the phone that will work for her...After all she will be the one using it.
    We have a division of responsibilities. This q is squarely under my jurisdiction- just the way we have it worked out. I also am the IT help desk, chef and automobile servicing consultant, cable consultant, photography consultant, among other things...
    04-07-16 10:57 AM
36 12