BlackBerry came up with the Passport and it's keyboard which is kinda innovative and very smart idea, something the market really is missing in quite long time. Finally a stone is thrown in the still water

Chances for coming up with something innovative in all touch devices could be less, correct me if I'm wrong, say what could innovative ideas in a full touch device but let's keep in mind that chances are very unlikely to see BlackBerry making a laser projection virtual keyboard or gimmicks like that
    08-29-14 03:51 AM
    1. Innovate
    2. Don't advertise
    3. Price it insanely high
    ...???
    LOSSES!

^that's Blackberry

the purpose of full touch is to remove the keypad when its not needed - thereby giving you more room for more stuff like movies, browser and games.
    Also, onscreen keypad seems way more efficient because of swype, etc
    Last edited by iBBX; 08-29-14 at 05:31 AM.
    Ruslan Botsyurko and menshawy like this.
    08-29-14 05:20 AM
    Innovate for all-touch would be for BB to keep going in the direction of the Passport and challenge the paradigm of the 16:9 screen. I've always thought it ridiculous to have an entertainment oriented screen ratio for a data oriented piece of hardware, more like a DIN A spec ratio is optimal. As far as concerns about looking foolish or pocket-ability, once the utility is realized people will find a way to accommodate.
    08-29-14 05:39 AM
    Right now, full touch is the way to go (99% of smartphones sold are full touch). Untill the next "revolution" comes, most companies will focus on this.

16:9 is the format most producers use because it's more comfortable to use it one-hannded, while still allowing a big screen.
    08-29-14 06:47 AM
    Although I prefer smaller phones, I like the innovative marriage of touch and keyboard of the Passport. BlackBerry 's problem is ZERO marketing to let the average consumers know about the new OS10 . Therefore no new users. Therefore diminished market share. And no app developer support. As well as very little carrier focus. And here we r scrambling.

But the Passport is a really neat marriage of form, functionality, screen size and i am hoping it will be properly supported.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    menshawy likes this.
    08-29-14 07:22 AM
    Although I prefer smaller phones, I like the innovative marriage of touch and keyboard of the Passport. BlackBerry 's problem is ZERO marketing to let the average consumers know about the new OS10 . Therefore no new users. Therefore diminished market share. And no app developer support. As well as very little carrier focus. And here we r scrambling.

But the Passport is a really neat marriage of form, functionality, screen size and i am hoping it will be properly supported.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    I'm already over the physical keyboard and more into the full touch. Beside the normal functionality of a phone it can serve well to watch videos, play games, have a wide view for images taking etc.

But I like the Passport for the innovation it brings with it, I might go for one since there's no new full touch from BlackBerry worth the investment. But the Passport definitely is worth each penny
    08-29-14 09:06 AM
    Right now, full touch is the way to go (99% of smartphones sold are full touch). Untill the next "revolution" comes, most companies will focus on this.
    OK - but what do you imagine as a possible innovation in a full touch device? what the next revolution could bring?
    08-29-14 09:09 AM
    OK - but what do you imagine as a possible innovation in a full touch device? what the next revolution could bring?
    I don't think the next real "revolution" will be in screen size/form factor/curbed screens, but in battery.
    08-29-14 09:18 AM
    When looking at this render, I just can't see anything that would be innovative, accept that it is just great looking device.

What's innovation in all touch-1407178140925_548394.png

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 09:57 AM
    Also the "innovation" of keyboard phones was to add touch screen to it. See where this is going? There is no way touch screen is going anywhere from smartphones anytime soon.
    08-29-14 10:09 AM
    They should make keyboard sticks out from the sides. Bring that back!

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 01:24 PM
    menshawy, let put it this way: what innovation in a full touch device could not be suitable to a Q10-like or a Passport-like device?

Because I cannot see anything that could not be implemented on the modern physical-keyboard devices, because they also have touch screens (with the possible exception of the gimmicky curved screen).
    08-29-14 01:38 PM
    After a bit of thought, I think that there is nothing they can revolutionize with hardware. Therefore, I think that Z50 will be the device bringing the always on assistant, and a slew of other usability features that focus on user experience, yet are limited to battery life. Eg. Always on camera allowing you to take faster photos. Another "Revolutionary" for BlackBerry move would be dual booting the device, but I hope it is not the thing

The only Hardware evolution I would like to see is fingerprint scanner, much better speakers, wirelesses charging and a bigger battery.
    08-29-14 01:55 PM
    BlackBerry came up with the Passport and it's keyboard which is kinda innovative and very smart idea, something the market really is missing in quite long time. Finally a stone is thrown in the still water

Chances for coming up with something innovative in all touch devices could be less, correct me if I'm wrong, say what could innovative ideas in a full touch device but let's keep in mind that chances are very unlikely to see BlackBerry making a laser projection virtual keyboard or gimmicks like that

Creating innovative software that's as easy to use as a keyboard. Examples include: swift key, swype, and Minuum. I don't think a touch capacitive keyboard is that innovative but it IS different and could be great. The only problem is, it's useless without any apps utilizing it. So far we know that the text input and browser can be used nicely with the touch keyboard. I think highly productive apps can benefit from it as well as long as they weren't built with an android or iPhone in mind. If you're sitting here thinking, 'wtf is he talking about', think about microsoft excel. I highly doubt they programmed swipes specific to the passport. And if anything, I would imagine most apps prevent detailed swipe commands because it wouldn't be worth their time/effort considering the passport will be a minority of the consumer base.

I don't think blackberry should do anything more with the keyboard than they have already. INSTEAD, i think they should popularize startups who program specifically for it, and support developers by making the API easy to use. Beyond that, work on the design! Improve the camera. Make it thinner. Offer the highest encryption possible (they just bought secusmart, see if you can add it in the phone and lower the cost of their chip). Make secure bbm standard. Bring bbm to the desktop as a web app or native app. Improve android app compatibility. Offer an easier software language (like swift) for developers that can be picked up faster than cascades and C++. Most importantly, think about blackberry as a platform that is agnostic of hardware. Offer blackberry blend to the consumer, even if they don't own blackberry devices! Beyond that, I'm running out of ideas. Really, they need more creative devs and money. Buy some startups. Most important, get blackberry into education somehow. Get kids to like blackberry so that if you do keep the handset business, it won't all be people over 40. The days of blackberry having control over the enterprise are over. Good and MobileIron are testaments to the plain fact that employees are driving what types of devices are getting into the workplace. I don't want to hear this crap about, "oh, blackberry handsets will survive as a niche in the enterprise". That is absolutely asinine. It is only a matter of time before apple or android come up with a super secure solution that gets approved by the highest standard of DOD and offers solutions way less than BBRY. Then what? Fall back on software again? Too late.

I think the problem is, it's easy to sell handsets compared to coming up with groundbreaking software. There is a demand, there are tons of crackberry fans out there that will use keyboards or whatever device just because it's blackberry. You have the carrier relationships, you own the OS, all you have to do is keep pushing out phones and hope your inventory risk isn't too high. My only problem with this is that you're detracting focus from your software devisions. If you can balance them all without suffering, then that's great. But honestly, bb10 will never have all the apps of android. Will that make or break them? No, I don't think so. But it'll make it so they never sell tens of millions of devices to consumers ever again. If you want to focus on medical and government security while providing software, good, do that, don't focus on the device.

Going back to the original OP's question. Blackberry, make software that is productive without requiring a keyboard. I rlaely don't care if you keep the handset business. (well I sort of do considering I want a passport, but more so just because I'm a geek and want to try something new) Figure out how to sell keyboard productivity on a touchscreen device.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I don't even think my post was mostly relevant to OP. Don't hate me.
    menshawy likes this.
    08-29-14 03:31 PM
    1. Innovate
    2. Don't advertise
    3. Price it insanely high
    ...???
    LOSSES!

^that's Blackberry

the purpose of full touch is to remove the keypad when its not needed - thereby giving you more room for more stuff like movies, browser and games.
    Also, onscreen keypad seems way more efficient because of swype, etc
    And less accurate, and no keyboard shortcuts, no one-button homescreen speed dialing. Oh, but games, movies, stuff...
    08-29-14 05:50 PM
    I want BlackBerry to introduce the first 3D printer in a phone :-)) that would be innovative and "cool ". Enough to push them back to number 1.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:25 AM
    I don't really need BlackBerry to innovate on their all touch hardware. Their software is the biggest innovation in smartphone industry already and it takes time for them to refine it and for the market to absorb it. In hardware department, they really just need to keep up with others on specs, that's all.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1130
    08-30-14 07:32 AM
    I would like to see Hibernate coming to mobile

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:44 AM