I am a new Storm user. I am trying to figure out exactly what purpose the GPS serves. I see there are some apps that might use it, but I can't figure out exactly what it does. Can anyone help?
    05-25-09 12:31 PM
    There are a ton of programs that will take advantage of the GPS... Google Maps/Weatherbug/Poynt. You can Geo tag pictures. Many things can be done experiment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 12:36 PM
    GPS is Global Positioning System, when you download google maps 3.0.2 or use your BB maps it will give you a precise location instead of using triangulation with towers. Lets' say you're in a city and want to find a restaurant. With the app POYNT or with other apps you can get more pin point answers to what's close to you. With BB Maps you can get turn by turn directions and when you call 911 if you're hurt and can't say anything then the call will have a faster more accurate location of where you are compared to triangulation
    05-25-09 12:39 PM
    I don't know I'd this is a serious question but its global positioning system used to locate where you are helps with navagation programs like vz navagator and tom tom etc.

05-25-09 12:39 PM
    i recommend the apps google maps and poynt
    05-25-09 12:40 PM
    The gps system allows you to use location based apps. That's it

05-25-09 12:55 PM
    flaming post will not be tolerated... Posts have been removed. Any more non discussion will result in warnings being issued and temp bans being handed out.

Stay on topic and help others. If not do not post.
    05-25-09 01:03 PM
    Its so the police know where you are when it comes time to round you up.
    05-25-09 01:11 PM
    There are a ton of programs that will take advantage of the GPS... Google Maps/Weatherbug/Poynt. You can Geo tag pictures. Many things can be done experiment.

What is Geo tagging pictures, and how do you do it? Thanks.
    05-25-09 04:24 PM
    What is Geo tagging pictures, and how do you do it? Thanks.
    it's in the camera options..what it does is "tag" the pic with your gps coordinates so you can refer to exactly where the pic was taken, or so i believe...
    05-25-09 04:30 PM
    it's in the camera options..what it does is "tag" the pic with your gps coordinates so you can refer to exactly where the pic was taken, or so i believe...
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    05-25-09 04:32 PM
    Correct. What this enables you to do is when you are viewing the picture on the device, you can select the menu, then select VIEW ON MAP. This will bring up the BBMaps program, with it indicating where the picture was taken. I am not sure if any computer programs can read this data, however.

05-25-09 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD