With the Amazon Appstore being on Blackberry, I wonder why they don't work on getting more Amazon services to Blackberry natively. As an Amazon customer who is subscribed to Prime, Audible, and constantly uses their store, I know that having official native apps for Amazons services would significantly increase the value of my Blackberry for me. It means less reason to go back to Google and Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:22 AM
    There had been many discussion threads about this.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    04-26-15 12:11 PM
    Also the Amazon App Store and Shopping app are slow as heck on the Classic. What's up with that?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-26-15 01:48 PM
    The 'partnership' ended up being:

BlackBerry: 'Can we preload your app store and say it's available on our devices?'

Amazon: 'uhh... sure, just tell us what the devices are called so we can block every popular-name app from being installed by them.'

BlackBerry: 'what's a popular app?'

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 02:07 PM
    I will never understand why these two didn't partner up more than they have. License BB10 to Amazon and integrate all of Amazons features into BB10. Amazon wouldn't have had to develop a OS and BB10 would have had a real ecosystem. Something along these lines

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    04-26-15 02:45 PM
    I will never understand why these two didn't partner up more than they have. License BB10 to Amazon and integrate all of Amazons features into BB10. Amazon wouldn't have had to develop a OS and BB10 would have had a real ecosystem. Something along these lines

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is a failure as far as general market is concerned. Why would Amazon want to license a failed OS? Amazon was burned by its very own Fire phone already.

Posted via CB10
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    04-26-15 02:55 PM
    The 'partnership' ended up being:

BlackBerry: 'Can we preload your app store and say it's available on our devices?'

Amazon: 'uhh... sure, just tell us what the devices are called so we can block every popular-name app from being installed by them.'

BlackBerry: 'what's a popular app?'

Posted via CB10
    LOL! AnimalPak200, I couldn't have put it better!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 05:18 PM
    BB10 is a failure as far as general market is concerned. Why would Amazon want to license a failed OS? Amazon was burned by its very own Fire phone already.

Posted via CB10
    I was talking more before they released their fire phone. Even now to an extent. Yes BB10 isn't doing well but they're doing much better than the fire phone. I think a partnership on a bigger level could've really helped both companies

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing and KokiJuan like this.
    04-26-15 05:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    The answer to that goes back to the fact that developers of sought out apps don't want to develop for BB10. Why then would Amazon switch to BB10? It already has a limited amount of Android apps without Google Services. Switching to BB10 would give it access to even less apps, essentially they would have the same apps what we have in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 05:22 PM
    The answer to that goes back to the fact that developers of sought out apps don't want to develop for BB10. Why then would Amazon switch to BB10? It already has a limited amount of Android apps without Google Services. Switching to BB10 would give it access to even less apps, essentially they would have the same apps what we have in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention many apps run poorly on BB10 Android runtime. Slower to start, more prone to crashing and certain features will never work properly because Android API does not map one to one to BB10 Android runtime API in terms of implementation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    1magine, JosevuN3 and Sulaco757 like this.
    04-26-15 06:48 PM
    Amazon gets their incredibly lame app store on phones that have actually sold some devices, and BlackBerry can lie say they have access to hundreds of thousands of apps which doesn't match the reality that they are all being blocked from the device.

If it weren't for SNAP and RedlightofLove's work on it, BlackBerry 10 wouldn't be usable for me.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-26-15 06:55 PM
    Guess some need to qualify their statements... Yes Android does run crappy on some versions of the phone... not all... client bought their passport to me to be configured.... Used Colbalt's ( thanks by the way ) installation instructions..... Installed Google Play//////installed a whole slew of apps the client wanted... had to mix it up between Google Play and Amazon store as some of the Google Play stuff can be picky... would say 95 percent installed fine... Worked like a charm... ran through Google maps ... no issue... actually worked better than the neighbours HTC phone..... I personally do not use Android on my Z30... from time to time however I like to tinker... the apps I did run had not issues... couple had a few lag issue but after a hard reset... all way fine... so yes on some models and depending on how you configure the phone Android may be a issue but with later phones not so much....
    04-26-15 06:59 PM
    I've noticed that many of the blocked apps appear as of now when I search on the Leap. On my Classic, Amazon Music never showed up in the Amazon App Store, but it does on the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-26-15 08:43 PM
    I've noticed that many of the blocked apps appear as of now when I search on the Leap. On my Classic, Amazon Music never showed up in the Amazon App Store, but it does on the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    The Leap is still too new. Amazon devs don't know about it yet. It will get blocked eventually.
    04-26-15 09:31 PM
    The amazon app store was a mistake, period. All that effort that went into getting an android runtime could have been spent shoring up blackberry world and importing maybe a dozen mission critical consumer apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:07 PM
    The amazon app store was a mistake, period. All that effort that went into getting an android runtime could have been spent shoring up blackberry world and importing maybe a dozen mission critical consumer apps.

Posted via CB10
    No, it is just not a dozen critical consumer apps. Banks, newspapers , airlines, governments, NPO's, etc etc the list is never ending. Amazon was not a mistake, it is just false advertising by BlackBerry. Without runtime, BlackBerry would have been forced out of the handset business by now.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and JosevuN3 like this.
    04-26-15 10:44 PM
    No, it is just not a dozen critical consumer apps. Banks, newspapers , airlines, governments, NPO's, etc etc the list is never ending. Amazon was not a mistake, it is just false advertising by BlackBerry. Without runtime, BlackBerry would have been forced out of the handset business by now.

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't false advertising by BlackBerry. It's the app devs that decide which devices are allowed to download their apps. In the beginning BlackBerry devices were listed as unknown android device with the 10.3.1 update BB devices are now listed by make and model. Question is why did these devs decide to remove BlackBerry access en mass?

Loving my Passport!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-26-15 11:55 PM
    Then BlackBerry should find out what the problems are over at Amazon. Perhaps start up their own Android shop or just go Android. It is coming, just do not know when.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 01:13 AM
    It wasn't false advertising by BlackBerry. It's the app devs that decide which devices are allowed to download their apps. In the beginning BlackBerry devices were listed as unknown android device with the 10.3.1 update BB devices are now listed by make and model. Question is why did these devs decide to remove BlackBerry access en mass?

Loving my Passport!
    Support costs probably. Most devs don't have BB10 devices to test their apps in case any bugs appear. Also for 1:1 ratio screens (Passport, classic/ Qs), maybe the app didn't work well with the screen format.
    04-27-15 06:19 AM
    I still say the solution is to have Blackberry run a modified version of Android as their primary OS with their security feature and as OS10 skin embedded into the OS. The app issue would be solved once and for all. I know the faithful will want to burn me at the stake for even thinking this way.

But, most of my business clients are using Android and/or IOS devices with either Knox or some other form of security software and I have't heard one of them having any security issues, period. I also talking about some large companies i.e. Ford, Chrysler, GM and their global suppliers to name a few.
    04-27-15 06:43 AM
    I still say the solution is to have Blackberry run a modified version of Android as their primary OS with their security feature and as OS10 skin embedded into the OS. The app issue would be solved once and for all. I know the faithful will want to burn me at the stake for even thinking this way.

But, most of my business clients are using Android and/or IOS devices with either Knox or some other form of security software and I have't heard one of them having any security issues, period. I also talking about some large companies i.e. Ford, Chrysler, GM and their global suppliers to name a few.
    From a work perspective are they using any industry specific apps on their devices? Or do they primarily use their phones for email, conference calling, messaging?
    04-27-15 07:00 AM
    From a work perspective are they using any industry specific apps on their devices? Or do they primarily use their phones for email, conference calling, messaging?
    The answer is yes, they do use some custom apps both on the Android and IOS side and they use their devices for more then just email, phone calls and messaging.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-27-15 07:05 AM
    Guess some need to qualify their statements... Yes Android does run crappy on some versions of the phone... not all... client bought their passport to me to be configured.... Used Colbalt's ( thanks by the way ) installation instructions..... Installed Google Play//////installed a whole slew of apps the client wanted... had to mix it up between Google Play and Amazon store as some of the Google Play stuff can be picky... would say 95 percent installed fine... Worked like a charm... ran through Google maps ... no issue... actually worked better than the neighbours HTC phone..... I personally do not use Android on my Z30... from time to time however I like to tinker... the apps I did run had not issues... couple had a few lag issue but after a hard reset... all way fine... so yes on some models and depending on how you configure the phone Android may be a issue but with later phones not so much....
    The greater the update of BB10 the latest Android runtime is used and in consequence the better Android apps run on BlackBerry, but, they are never going to run as seamless as a native BlackBerry App runs on BlackBerry, not will the run as seamless as an android app will run on an Android device. Nor will apps containing Google services ever work on BB10 unless we get Google services. I have plenty of Android apps on my Z30 running 10.3.1. They run... hmm.. Ok. Not bad. Not great either.
    The bottom line here and there is really no way of getting around this, for BlackBerry to succeed in the consumer market, developers need to develop for BlackBerry, period.

Posted via CB10
    1magine likes this.
    04-27-15 07:12 AM
    The greater the update of BB10 the latest Android runtime is used and in consequence the better Android apps run on BlackBerry, but, they are never going to run as seamless as a native BlackBerry App runs on BlackBerry, not will the run as seamless as an android app will run on an Android device. Nor will apps containing Google services ever work on BB10 unless we get Google services. I have plenty of Android apps on my Z30 running 10.3.1. They run... hmm.. Ok. Not bad. Not great either.
    The bottom line here and there is really no way of getting around this, for BlackBerry to succeed in the consumer market, developers need to develop for BlackBerry, period.

Posted via CB10
    Well put and the sad part is until Blackberry can increase their market share to make it worthwhile for developers and/or be supported from Blackberry themselves, I highly doubt if any major Blackberry OS10 app development is going to happen any time soon?
    04-27-15 07:21 AM

Sorry I accidently hit thanks, but really don't agree. I think the best solution would be to get the QNX Hypervisor out, strip the Android runtime out BB10, and run full Android and Bb10 together in the same device. With the new Big/Little Octa core processor, more memory thanks to 64 bit processing, and QNX able to keep the two separate, but still look integrated, it is now a feasible solution. Imagine BlackBerry being able to advertise no compromise in security or apps. If someone goes BYOD on the Android side then that side could be secured with whatever that company chooses to use. I still think one day a major breach will happen that makes BlackBerry, or a company like it, attractive again, but don't know if it will be while BlackBerry is still viable, or if they won't f up their name and brand even more in that time and create more haters by ignoring their customers.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-27-15 07:35 AM
50 12