Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree7Likes
  1. JPMorgan_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    352 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency?

    What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency?

    What phone is better to have on you during an emergency, an iPhone, Android or a Blackberry? Well, it sort of depends.

    There are three things to think about when calamity strikes: can you make a phone call? Can you keep tabs on the latest information? And will your battery last?

    There's no one type of phone that's the best at all three, but let me walk you through some of the tradeoffs.

    First, making a phone call. Research in Motion's [RIMM 10.26 0.555 (+5.72%) ] BlackBerry devices are great at this. Pretty much universally, my BlackBerry can get a signal where my iPhone just cannot. If you're in the type of emergency where you're stuck in one spot and can't roam around to get a signal, the Blackberry proves helpful. (Read More: Apple Offers a Charge to New Yorkers After Storm )

    On the other hand, if you can walk a couple blocks in search of a better signal, that might make things easier.

    Next, apps. Why do apps matter? In emergencies, social media is the new email.

    You can follow emergency response on Twitter, let your Facebook [FB 24.32 1.22 (+5.28%) ] friends know you're OK, even ask others for help. Apple's [AAPL 561.70 0.7866 (+0.14%) ] iPhone and Google's [GOOG 665.87 -4.10 (-0.61%) ] Android smartphones tend to handle social media better.

    Then there's the battery. If you can plan ahead, you can get an external charger for iPhones and Android devices that uses AA batteries. Something like this Energizer charger.

    You can't, however, swap out the battery in an iPhone, but an external charger is arguably better because you can keep your phone running longer that just changing the battery.

    So, bottom line? If a completely unexpected disaster hits, it's nice to have a BlackBerry or a plain old feature phone. But if you've got any time to plan, to get some accessories, iPhone and Android really have significant advantages.

    What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency? - US Business News - CNBC
  2. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    [QUOTE][
    What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency?
    /QUOTE]

    The smartphone that works.
  3. Emma Watson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Hello friends...
    The only good phone in an emergency is the one that has signal. The phone is only as good as the network it is connected to....
  4. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    if its a real emergency i dont think you will worry about your phone. its more about your family that your taking care of.

    as for the general question blackberrys have been proven great in situations with overloaded towers. for example 9/11. calls and texts could not be made but bbm's and emails on blackberrys could thanks to the noc.

    mainly in an emergency if it is weather related towers are down so no mattery what phone you use it would be useless.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  5. donmateo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,571 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    FWIW, my BB has signal in alot of places my sisters iPhone and dads Samsung Galaxy don't.
    Toodeurep likes this.
  6. ccw9mm's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I would say the best phone to have in a emergency is anything that goes bang,
    with a average response time of 15min, a lot can happen while 911 is on phone . No matter what phone you call from.
    Thats just my opinion, I would hate to see my family chewed up, so I plan accordingly.
  7. kraski's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,608 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    #7  

    Default

    Are we talking auto accident or storm? Medical emergency or family tragedy? Those are all emergencies, but each has different requirements from a phone.

    1) My 9810 does great for calls and data.
    2) My Android tablet does better at distance from wifi source than either my 9810 or my Playbook.
    3) There are definitely disaster emergency apps for Android, including things dealing with FEMA, etc. I'd assume iOS has similar stuff. Right now Blackberry needs more, but is likely to blossom with BB10.
    4) Right now, the best battery life is in some of the Android models. That could easily change.

    Just wondering, if we're talking emergencies, why the op found it necessary to throw in stock info? Has his investing turned his wallet into a financial emergency?
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
  8. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,265 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    I don't understand this article; social media like Facebook and Twitter are just as functional on a BlackBerry, especially when it's just a matter of updating your status during emergencies. In terms of accessories, external batter chargers are also available.

    There is also no mention of BBM, which (although isn't as popular these days) can work at times other methods of communication like SMS or voice calls fail.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  9. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I would say the best phone to have in a emergency is anything that goes bang,
    with a average response time of 15min, a lot can happen while 911 is on phone . No matter what phone you call from.
    Thats just my opinion, I would hate to see my family chewed up, so I plan accordingly.
    Your serious answer to: 'what phone is best in an emergency' is "a gun"?!?! Wow, way to have faith in human nature. Unless we're talking about an emergency where there is total destruction of civilisation, then your best bet to keep your family safe is to keep them away from problems and to keep them fed... In which case, an actual phone would be way more useful than a gun!

    Si.
  10. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,454 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Just wondering, if we're talking emergencies, why the op found it necessary to throw in stock info? Has his investing turned his wallet into a financial emergency?
    yeah,,, seriously,,, screen name aside, what's that about??? & the thing i take away from this is in summary, you need every phone,,, "So, bottom line? If a completely unexpected disaster hits, it's nice to have a BlackBerry — or a plain old feature phone. But if you've got any time to plan, to get some accessories, iPhone and Android really have significant advantages." & cliche's like "bottom line" & "@ the end of the day" are so over used i puke a little when i hear 'em...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
  11. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,454 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    Your serious answer to: 'what phone is best in an emergency' is "a gun"?!?! Wow, way to have faith in human nature. Unless we're talking about an emergency where there is total destruction of civilisation, then your best bet to keep your family safe is to keep them away from problems and to keep them fed... In which case, an actual phone would be way more useful than a gun!

    Si.
    tell that to the folks in New Orleans,,, it's "human nature" that will have ppl looting, pillaging & whatever else they can get away w/ in ANY disaster,,, "keep them away from problems"??? what happens when "problems" come to you???
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
  12. cherimoya's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    163 Posts
    #12  

    Default What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency?

    Multiple ways to recharge BB - extra batteries via external battery charger
    Car charger
    Solar battery chargers (no personal experience using but have seen them advertised + in stores)
    When charge is gone BB will run using I-GO (uses 2 double A batteries) + appropriate tip for your BB. Bought mine in radio shack when my 9650 was the new current model + igo plus appropriate tips were in stock.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
  13. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #13  

    Default

    Any smartphone with power and a signal and be able to make and receive calls.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  14. PippinTook's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    437 Posts
    Global Posts
    466 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    This is a pretty disappointing article. First off how much social media do you need in the case of emergency? As I went through a tornado this year my Blackberry was efficient enough to update my Facebook and let everyone know what was happening in the time. Lets also talk battery life my Blackberry was doing very well with its battery life as we were without power. I don't think one smartphone is going to help you better then another though. My weather push notifications come in quick in my phone and inform me of approaching danger but I am sure they are just as good on other platforms.
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,424 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #15  

    Default

    The 9320 is the best emergency phone, it's cheap, has full OS7.1 experience, long battery life and best of all, a built in FM Radio for good old fashion live radio news even when no network is available.

    Look no further.
  16. silversun10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    so, the question is what is the best smart phone and your answer is a gun? what is wrong with you?
  17. randall2580's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    FWIW, my BB has signal in alot of places my sisters iPhone and dads Samsung Galaxy don't.
    Godfather, I was going to disagree with you then I remembered what you said about speaking against the family ...
    shaleem and donmateo like this.
  18. ccw9mm's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    Your serious answer to: 'what phone is best in an emergency' is "a gun"?!?! Wow, way to have faith in human nature. Unless we're talking about an emergency where there is total destruction of civilisation, then your best bet to keep your family safe is to keep them away from problems and to keep them fed... In which case, an actual phone would be way more useful than a gun!

    Si.
    Just wanted to throw that idea out there. I was not tying to be smart. Society is paper thin, and I feel sorry for so many that think a call to 911 will help them. Maybe my idea of a "emergency" is different. Either way I have been through what I would call a emergency, and I nor my wife had cell phone service for some time.
    Not sure how someone is sure to keep their family away from danger in a emergency. Predators look for victims when bad things happen, when faced with evil it can not be compromised with, or hide from, it will eat you for lunch every time. As for the rest of your post, I do that everyday. Its a mindset that is a way of life, emergency or not.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
  19. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    tell that to the folks in New Orleans,,, it's "human nature" that will have ppl looting, pillaging & whatever else they can get away w/ in ANY disaster,,, "keep them away from problems"??? what happens when "problems" come to you???
    I think that it has been pretty much proven recently (including Christmas Eve) that there are WAY too many oversized guns available in the US.

    So, yes, I still think a phone is more useful in an emergency than a gun.

    Si.
  20. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Just wanted to throw that idea out there. I was not tying to be smart. Society is paper thin, and I feel sorry for so many that think a call to 911 will help them. Maybe my idea of a "emergency" is different. Either way I have been through what I would call a emergency, and I nor my wife had cell phone service for some time.
    Not sure how someone is sure to keep their family away from danger in a emergency. Predators look for victims when bad things happen, when faced with evil it can not be compromised with, or hide from, it will eat you for lunch every time. As for the rest of your post, I do that everyday. Its a mindset that is a way of life, emergency or not.
    I guess people in the rest of the civilised world have more of a "pull together" nature than a "lets go kill the neighbours" attitute. I'm not saying you're of the second group, but if your first idea is to keep your family safe (through a gun battle if necessary) then that goes more to show what your society [or what the media make people over there believe their society] is like, than anything else. It actually makes me feel kind of sorry for a people to have that fear.

    I guess it doesn't help that in American movies the first thing the "hero" does is (generally) pick up a gun.

    Either way, keep safe this Christmas.

    Si.
  21. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,424 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    I guess people in the rest of the civilised world have more of a "pull together" nature than a "lets go kill the neighbours" attitute. I'm not saying you're of the second group, but if your first idea is to keep your family safe (through a gun battle if necessary) then that goes more to show what your society [or what the media make people over there believe their society] is like, than anything else. It actually makes me feel kind of sorry for a people to have that fear.

    I guess it doesn't help that in American movies the first thing the "hero" does is (generally) pick up a gun.

    Either way, keep safe this Christmas.

    Si.
    Sorry but you're completely wrong, except Japan, in the "civilized world" looting, violence and rape always follows a natural disaster. Even protests are quicly taken over by "civilized" citizens intent on looting ie London riots.
  22. #22  

    Default

    That doesn't alter the fact that the majority of "emergencies" bring a need for aid rather than a need for defense.
    Now... on topic- "What's the best Smartphone ...
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    simu31 likes this.
  23. kraski's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,608 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    That doesn't alter the fact that the majority of "emergencies" bring a need for aid rather than a need for defense.
    Now... on topic- "What's the best Smartphone ...
    Easy. The one that still has power and whose carrier is still fully connected to the towers.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    qbnkelt likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default What's the Best Smartphone in an Emergency?

    Ohboyohboyohboy let me not go near the gun discussion....

    As far as best phone in an emergency, in the DC quake and the East Coast derecho, my BB served me to stay connected through BBM where others could not SMS, even me. Problem: only have one loved one on BBM now now who has a need to know as to my safety.
    Another advantage, replaceable batteries with longer life....except for my SGIII which has AMAZING battery life.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  25. #25  

    Default

    6 posts removed. Final call... Which Smartphone...?
    Any further off topic disruption with gun control will risk the poster getting extra free time for the holiday.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
  2. What is the best carrier in France?
    By turbo2g2003 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
  3. What are the basic differences in an upgrade?
    By Raiders in forum Legacy Leaked/Beta OS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions