What's the Best Navigation with turn by turn voice for a 9900? Tried Waze, loved it but it does not get sound (or atleast on the 9900). LifeinPocket freezes up and I have to pull the battery, Garmin was great on my 9700 but I cant download it on my 9900...... I get "this device is not compatible". Any have sucess with a turn by turn with voice for a 9900 yet?
    Last edited by xshawx; 09-11-11 at 06:51 PM.
    09-11-11 02:53 AM
    what's the best navigation with turn by turn voice for a 9900? Tried waze, loved it but it does not get sound (or atleast on the 9900). Lifeinpocket freezes up and i have to pull the battery, garmin was great on my 9700 but i cant download it on my 9900...... I get "this device is not compatible". Any have sucess with a turn by turn with voice for a 9900 yet?
    telanav works awesome on my 9900
    09-11-11 06:58 PM
    Thanks I tried Telenav trail on my 9700 but liked the trail Garmin better, so I bought Garmin. (like the one $99 versus monthly payments too). But the trail says my 9900 isn't compatible so I'm waiting (3 business days) for Garmin to answer my email, because I will purchase it but would like a guarantee of my money back if it doesn't work like the trail they offer.
    09-12-11 12:16 AM
    Guess I will download the Telenav trial while I wait. But after google searches I do not see any better options. ( the free ones just are not as reliable )
    09-12-11 12:18 AM
    I know that this thread is a few months old but, here's my take on voice-guided nav apps:

TeleNav (Rogers Navigator) -- pretty much the best, but the Rogers branded version is $10 per month. A bit pricey for me. Since the time I had tried Rogers Navigator, the price is now apparently $5 per month, not sure.

Garmin Mobile -- $99 up front but no subscription fees thereafter. So in less than 10 months, you have covered the cost of a TeleNav/RogersNav subscription. At one time you could use a 20% discount coupon at Handango to get it for $80. But, no OS7 support yet.

-----

On a whim, I tried WisePilot, and was pleasantly surprised. While it is a bit less intuitive than RogersNav or Garmin Mobile, overall it is behind but "up there" with the other two IMO. In addition to voice guided, turn-by-turn guidance, 3D view, search functions, favorites, rerouting, etc., it also has an offline map feature. I downloaded the maps for Canada (60 MB) and the US (707 MB) and they are stored on my SD card. Now before we get excited and think WisePilot can be used without data service, it's more of a hybrid -- where data is still used but the main map data comes from SD storage instead of being transmitted OTA to your BB. So this can keep data costs down when roaming but will not eliminate them. Subscription for voice-guided nav is a more reasonable $20 per year (though I heard TeleNav is now $10/year, but not an option with Rogers in Canada). There are additional subscription costs if you want traffic info, radar/speedtrap info, and other services, but I plan to stick to the basic. There is a 5-day trial with all features enabled, but if you don't want voice-guided navigation, the free version (i.e. expired trial) allows you to use the basic services (route overview/summary, turn-by-turn nav, searches, just no voice guidance.
    12-02-11 10:49 AM
    BB Traffic in Beta zone does voice turn by turn for free.
    12-03-11 09:27 PM
    UbiNav is available on the Bold 9930 so I guess it is available for T-Mobile. Anyway, it has the advantage of not charging you data usage because it goes through BB servers. It was the super app winner in 2010. If you are on a data plan it makes a difference.

I tried it and it works well. It also comes with a trial version. So you don't have to drop bucks for it unless you like it.
    This should hold you up well until BB Traffic with voice navigation is released. I believe it is in Beta right now.
    Hope this helps.
    12-03-11 09:34 PM
    I use the Garmin mobile app for Blackberry. You have to go to the Garmin website to get it.
    It works just like the full Garmin device in the car. My wife's car has an actual Garmin and I like to compare by running them at the same time: THEY are virtually identical! Impressive little app!

It's very similar to Telenav. Telenav costs $9.99 a month but Garmin was $79.99 for life of phone (although they let me transfer it to three phones over three years).

I think Garmin is the better deal in the long run by far (I've tried telenav many times on trial and on my android but go back to Garmin Mobile).
    04-07-12 10:52 AM
    As far as OS 7.1 support...I had them transfer the app from my old OS 6 device. I have a 9810 with 7.1. They said they are working on newer OS specific apps but would give me the App for the 9800 for free (from a 9780) and it works like I have a 9800.

So it doesn't officially support OS 7 but if you have an OS 7 device just ask for the app with the closest resolution to your present screen. With the 9900, I would ask for the 9780 app.

You can try it for a couple weeks (trial mode of app). If the trial app on their website doesn't work on your phone--call them and they'll send you an app with the resolution for your phone. Without the activation code all apps default to TRIAL mode.

I know that this thread is a few months old but, here's my take on voice-guided nav apps:

TeleNav (Rogers Navigator) -- pretty much the best, but the Rogers branded version is $10 per month. A bit pricey for me. Since the time I had tried Rogers Navigator, the price is now apparently $5 per month, not sure.

Garmin Mobile -- $99 up front but no subscription fees thereafter. So in less than 10 months, you have covered the cost of a TeleNav/RogersNav subscription. At one time you could use a 20% discount coupon at Handango to get it for $80. But, no OS7 support yet.

-----

On a whim, I tried WisePilot, and was pleasantly surprised. While it is a bit less intuitive than RogersNav or Garmin Mobile, overall it is behind but "up there" with the other two IMO. In addition to voice guided, turn-by-turn guidance, 3D view, search functions, favorites, rerouting, etc., it also has an offline map feature. I downloaded the maps for Canada (60 MB) and the US (707 MB) and they are stored on my SD card. Now before we get excited and think WisePilot can be used without data service, it's more of a hybrid -- where data is still used but the main map data comes from SD storage instead of being transmitted OTA to your BB. So this can keep data costs down when roaming but will not eliminate them. Subscription for voice-guided nav is a more reasonable $20 per year (though I heard TeleNav is now $10/year, but not an option with Rogers in Canada). There are additional subscription costs if you want traffic info, radar/speedtrap info, and other services, but I plan to stick to the basic. There is a 5-day trial with all features enabled, but if you don't want voice-guided navigation, the free version (i.e. expired trial) allows you to use the basic services (route overview/summary, turn-by-turn nav, searches, just no voice guidance.
    Last edited by tom0100; 04-07-12 at 11:01 AM.
    04-07-12 10:57 AM
    Call tech support and they'll send you a closely compatible version to try out for a couple weeks. If you like it--buy it. They can sent you OTA versions of any phone for trial if you call them.

What's the Best Navigation with turn by turn voice for a 9900? Tried Waze, loved it but it does not get sound (or atleast on the 9900). LifeinPocket freezes up and I have to pull the battery, Garmin was great on my 9700 but I cant download it on my 9900...... I get "this device is not compatible". Any have sucess with a turn by turn with voice for a 9900 yet?
    04-07-12 11:03 AM
    Telmap which on top is free
    andre3030 likes this.
    04-09-12 09:19 AM
    Blackberry's own "Traffic" app is a great turn by turn navigator.

I don't think "Traffic" was a good name because people don't realize it's a navigator by the name.

hubermania likes this.
    06-01-12 12:14 PM
    I recommend NavTrack, 15 days trial and a yearly subscription including free updates.
    07-25-12 09:46 AM
    try telmap beta, it's a bit sluggish, but free! (in return, your gps data will be used to improve their service). it even works in Hungary.
    http://www.telmapbeta.com

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-11-12 02:07 PM
    Garmin EU 6.0 working fine on my 9900; Device software:7.1.0.825
    04-12-13 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD