It does look like a great idea, no runtimes and it all runs natively. I wonder if developers will take up on this though.
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    Wrong.

Here's how Microsoft hopes to get Android and iOS phone apps into its Windows 10 Store | ZDNet
    05-01-15 01:58 PM
    I'd be surprised if he didn't have something in mind. But its interesting your so certain that he doesn't.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Chen don't need no stinking apps. He's running an enterprise company all of a sudden.

I for one agree that he's clueless on the app gap issue, so we'll just pretend it doesn't exist
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    05-01-15 03:50 PM
    Told ya Microsoft was going to come out swinging with Win10. I personally came very close to going Windows Phone, but I went with Android instead for various reasons. Keeping my Q10 around, but I am pretty impressed with Android thus far (which says a lot considering the cheap phone I went to - Moto E 2014 model).

05-01-15 04:20 PM
    I don't you think you have a clue what microsoft can do code wise. All that code that iOS and Android can easily be put into native code for windows. I'm not sure what microsoft was thinking with all the windows 8 crap, but they are finally organized.

They have the best coders in the world, i don't think they will have an issue other than big apps like snapchat rejecting and iOS apple fan devs allowing their app on windows because there are many more rules in itunes vs google play.

Windows as a whole (soon all to be windows 10 for free) has almost as many devices as android. I'm sure they will be "big enough" for devs to come.

I do think they need a Swift solution instead of all visual studio solutions for the iOS devs though. That is what they are comfortable with so MIcrosoft should be coming to their home turf.
    I have been a Microsoft Insider member and been running Windows 10 TP on a desktop partition since before it was publicly available. I also have completed multiple virtualization courses and am aware at MS' ability to run multiple types of code in their OS's. I know very well what they are capable of, but this is an answer to a question nobody was asking.

When they come out with an x86 phone that can run android apps in a virtual wrapper with minimal performance hit, then they will be on to something. Think scaled down Surface Pro.

As much as the developers want it to be so, I stand by my statement that people do not want apps on their desktop.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    05-01-15 06:57 PM

As much as the developers want it to be so, I stand by my statement that people do not want apps on their desktop.

I think you are right that on the notion that desktop people do not want web apps that only function when connected to the Internet. However, if an "app" can look and feel like any other Windows program, then it doesn't really matter how it was made - if it works, it works and I think that is what people care about most.

Will MS be able to finally pull off the OS they should have made all along? Who knows, but as much as I loathe the "flat" interface, it's clear that in all other ways they are trying to put their best foot forward for real this time. Will be interesting to watch this one play out.

kbz1960 likes this.
    05-01-15 08:35 PM
    I think you are right that on the notion that desktop people do not want web apps that only function when connected to the Internet. However, if an "app" can look and feel like any other Windows program, then it doesn't really matter how it was made - if it works, it works and I think that is what people care about most.

Will MS be able to finally pull off the OS they should have made all along? Who knows, but as much as I loathe the "flat" interface, it's clear that in all other ways they are trying to put their best foot forward for real this time. Will be interesting to watch this one play out.

Don't get me wrong - im super hyped for windows 10. I have a 4k monitor so the proper UI scaling and low level hardware access of DX12 are two things that have me salivating.

The mobile version though? Not as exciting to me.

05-01-15 08:58 PM

Who are people?
    05-01-15 10:01 PM
    A lot of people will use apps on the desktop if they are more efficient than the site. These have to be real apps and not just html5 wrapped apps we see on bb10 for them to be popular on desktop. There definitely is an audience for apps on desktop, especially the iOS quality type apps.

I jumped to the new outlook mail app as fast as I can to get off of yahoo mail. Now I don't have to use Web based calendars and so forth. Messaging apps would be huge for desktop.

Look at how well apps are doing on os x.

There is a huge market for apps on desktop. They just need to be utilized better than on win8 and what they are doing with the notification centre and stated they will be coming out with interactive tiles. That will change the game.

Personally I would much rather have an app than a desktop program. (yes i know they are interchangeable terms but look at the context)
    - Less clutter(folders)
    - Smaller footprint
    - Save space
    -T hey are faster because of the light weight
    - quicker to open (wish devs would take out the stupid splash screen though, it's a waste of resources, time and useless)
    - it takes information from less spots making which goes hand in hand with the less clutter/lightweight and easier to delete.
    - people are becoming more familiar with how mobile apps work than programs because smart phones are selling like hot cakes compared to computers (everyone has a phone but some families only have 1 computer. I have 6 computers/laptops but i'm not the average consumer)
    - safer because it's all from 1 app store instead of all over the net
    - easier to find because it's all in the same place (windows store)
    - seem to be more reliable (but that could just be my usage)

Cons
    - Programs are much more powerful and customizable but not needed for the typical everyday use of the consumer
    - something like AutoCAD needs to be a program in a work environment but who knows that could change.

WIndows 10 is basically making Blend completely useless. Soon that could be the case with Universal Apps and BBM which is the only reason why i use Blend at the moment. Blend isn't as powerful as my passport as i'm concerned...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 05-02-15 at 02:08 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-01-15 10:52 PM
    So, distant third-place Microsoft has announced their big moves in mobile with Google and Apple coming up in the next couple months. Each of these companies spend more than a billion dollars in R&D per quarter and are pretty mobile-platform focused these days. Whatever Blackberry is brewing, there is no question that they are having to cut costs. I think we are going to see a decision about BB10 this year.
    05-02-15 09:30 AM
    watch this video and let me know if you think no one will use apps or widgets on a desktop
    https://flexibits.com/fantastical

If you think so, you are stuck in the past

Possibilities with productivity are endless. I have 5 chrome windows open with 20+ tabs. Luckily I have a i7, solid state with 16gb of ram or my browser itself would be slowing down my ultrabook. Apps will greatly reduce my clutter and give notifications so i don't have to keep the app open like i do with my yahoo mail and google calendar browser tabs.
    Last edited by khehl; 05-02-15 at 02:11 PM.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-02-15 09:58 AM
    No apps on desktop? So my MS Office and Outlook aren't apps.? Pretty sure I've been using apps on desktops all the way back to the 286 PC's and even before.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Tatwi likes this.
    05-02-15 10:04 AM
    No apps on desktop? So my MS Office and Outlook aren't apps.? Pretty sure I've been using apps on desktops all the way back to the 286 PC's and even before.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    I think he meant that services such as instagram or facebook don't need a dedicated app on desktop because they were build as websites.
    05-02-15 10:07 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    wow bud i even explained myself in brackets for smart **es

There is a difference between mobile/win8/win10 apps and desktop programs, sure apps and programs are interchangeable terms but check the context. I gave plenty of details...
    Last edited by khehl; 05-02-15 at 10:28 AM.
    05-02-15 10:09 AM
    new age apps is going to make blend 100% useless and actually a nuisance. BlackBerry needs to change the sync with wifi model, it would have been useful up to now. Cloud is the way to go.

I'm actually surprised OS X is ahead of Windows in that category at the moment. That and Apple's PIM apps are definitely the biggest pros in buying a mac. Microsoft is finally sorting their s*** out, with updating their PIM apps and better app model and interactive tiles(widgets). Win10 still isn't as good as Mac in those 3 categories but at least they are trying now.
    Apple has really woken up the unorganized sleeping giant which i'm actually happy about. The most innovative company in software and hardware with the best coders in the world are going insane. Love it.
    Last edited by khehl; 05-02-15 at 10:55 AM.
    05-02-15 10:28 AM
    That article is wrong....and you post this link on all threads..
    05-02-15 11:01 AM
    This is the way they'll do it. Simply put, a universal programming environment that allows developers to analyze their APK and make necessary changes to strip out the Google ecosystem and use the Microsoft ecosystem. In my opinion a whole lot more power efficient and esthetically pleasing than running a separate Android environment.

While it's almost the same approach as BlackBerry (analyze app and convert it automatically) the Microsoft approach has one up with the ability to easily change your app from using Google services to Microsoft services.

toneytone likes this.
    05-03-15 06:38 AM
    This is the way they'll do it. Simply put, a universal programming environment that allows developers to analyze their APK and make necessary changes to strip out the Google ecosystem and use the Microsoft ecosystem. In my opinion a whole lot more power efficient and esthetically pleasing than running a separate Android environment.

While it's almost the same approach as BlackBerry (analyze app and convert it automatically) the Microsoft approach has one up with the ability to easily change your app from using Google services to Microsoft services.

Which is what BlackBerry should have done. I think they are focused on a Hypervisor now. They constantly keep changing things and just puts them further behind.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-03-15 07:56 AM
    Which is what BlackBerry should have done. I think they are focused on a Hypervisor now. They constantly keep changing things and just puts them further behind.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    someone convince microsoft to put win10 on a passport please :P hahah
    05-03-15 01:51 PM
93 ... 234