this is pretty sad. BlackBerry needs to get its act together!

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...about-ios-apps

looks like Microsoft is firing on all cylinders with the Win10. Wish BlackBerry launched 2 yrs ago w/ 10.3 or even 10.2.1.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    04-29-15 01:25 PM
    It does look like a great idea, no runtimes and it all runs natively. I wonder if developers will take up on this though.
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    04-29-15 01:38 PM
    The problem with Windows 10, is it's a Microsoft product, and the market share for Windows apps, is just as bad if not worse than BlackBerry. Most apps for iOS and other mobile platforms are for mobile devices. They aren't designed from a functionality or UI stand point to, run on, let's say a surface. Are you going to workout or jog with a Surface? I don't think so.

Surprised that Microsoft didn't announce that you can port over BlackBerry apps, wait... never mind...
    04-29-15 02:18 PM
    Also revealing that candy crush saga was an iOS port all along makes me trust Microsoft's dev-tools even more. If they hadn't said that nobody would have known.
    04-29-15 02:22 PM
    Also revealing that candy crush saga was an iOS port all along makes me trust Microsoft's dev-tools even more. If they hadn't said that nobody would have known.

Yeah that was surprising, I have used that app and never noticed any kind of performance hiccups or anything unusual. I was pretty amazed and the Phone continuum feature makes the phone an actual attempt at replacing a PC.
    04-29-15 02:25 PM
    this is pretty sad. BlackBerry needs to get its act together!

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...about-ios-apps

looks like Microsoft is firing on all cylinders with the Win10. Wish BlackBerry launched 2 yrs ago w/ 10.3 or even 10.2.1.
    What exactly are you whining about? Bb10 had tools to port Android to BB10 fairly easy, just developers didn't want to put in the effort and support.

iOS could be ported to BB10 as well, but I think the company that offers that takes a cut of revenue rather than license the tools.

So not sure what your exact point is.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-29-15 02:25 PM
    I'm not sure what any of y'alls points are besides BlackBerry has been lacking in a lot of areas.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:33 PM
    Google getting more and more importing apps protected with google play services to protected there own android OS and that will bring more and more problems for BlackBerry Android Runtime but also for Windows 10, and also for new Linux based OS like CM, Tizen, FireOS etc.

Netflix allready has google play service support but still working, but for how long.
    04-29-15 02:34 PM
    Google getting more and more importing apps protected with google play services to protected there own android OS and that will bring more and more problems for BlackBerry Android Runtime but also for Windows 10, and also for new Linux based OS like CM, Tizen, FireOS etc.

Netflix allready has google play service support but still working, but for how long.
    APK's won't work on WP10 like they do on BB10. Developers themselves (with access to the source code) must recompile their apps with Visual studio to make them work on WP10. So most likely Apps wit google play services won't compile properly.

But what Microsoft did right is give incentive to developers with their "build once, run on all 1 billion Windows devices" thing. BB had no such incentive.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    04-29-15 02:38 PM
    Its funny reading all the comments on that article linked in the OP. It kinda reminds me of the comments here on CB when the PlayBook launched with the Android runtime. All bright eyed and bushy tailed with hope lol

It still comes down to the developer porting their app to the new platform.
    undone likes this.
    04-29-15 02:39 PM
    This is so old news... at least 6-7 months since Microsoft said they was working on Android option for their system... why media now picked up on that?
    04-29-15 03:20 PM
    This is so old news... at least 6-7 months since Microsoft said they was working on Android option for their system... why media now picked up on that?
    It was never official in any way. Just rumors and some insider information.
    04-29-15 03:27 PM
    I just read an article that Microsoft is going to port apps from android and ios to windows 10. It's just like we did for the playbook or os 10.1 when we turn apk files into bar files almost, but porting is different. I allready give a commence a few days ago that BlackBerry must build there own apps for netflix, spotify etc. in HTML 5, because they can use the homepage from netflix, spotify etc.
    04-29-15 03:28 PM
    I just read an article that Microsoft is going to port apps from android and ios to windows 10. It's just like we did for the playbook or os 10.1 when we turn apk files into bar files almost, but porting is different. I allready give a commence a few days ago that BlackBerry must build there own apps for netflix, spotify etc. in HTML 5, because they can use the homepage from netflix, spotify etc.
    1. BB building their own apps for netflix/spotify would result in a trial most likely
    2. Porting an app for BB10 would result in a few million pottential customers. With Windows 10, building an app would result in a potential billion customers.
    04-29-15 03:34 PM
    This ALL sounds like what Chen was remarking on earlier. About the Net Neutrality or whatever it was. You know the comments where everyone thought he a raving lunatic. Looks like the flood gates may actually be starting to breach...
    04-29-15 03:43 PM
    This ALL sounds like what Chen was remarking on earlier. About the Net Neutrality or whatever it was. You know the comments where everyone thought he a raving lunatic. Looks like the flood gates may actually be starting to breach...
    The thing Microsoft is doing has nothing to do with app neutrality. Microsoft isn't trying to force devs to write apps for their platform. They are just giving devs better tools and more options.
    04-29-15 03:48 PM
    You read it wrong!
    It is porting, you need to have source code.
    04-29-15 04:07 PM
    Dev tools and developer relationships is definitely Microsoft's core competency. Years of foster Windows App development gave them that. They do it really well, IMO.
    04-29-15 04:13 PM
    This is so old news... at least 6-7 months since Microsoft said they was working on Android option for their system
    Did Microsoft themselves actually admit that or was it a rumour? I thought it was a rumour.
    04-29-15 04:14 PM
    Dev tools and developer relationships is definitely Microsoft's core competency. Years of foster Windows App development gave them that. They do it really well, IMO.
    Let's repeat again:

Developers, developers, developers... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    04-29-15 05:03 PM
    App Neutrality was Chen's wording, wasn't it?

I've always thought that after years of platform wars, eventually and naturally we'll get some sort of "write once, run (any/)everywhere" dev tools and apps... :-)

I guess this is unavoidable in the end.

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-29-15 05:06 PM
    How many freaking threads do we need on this subject? Think I've seen at least 5 already.
    04-29-15 05:08 PM
    we don't really know what Master Chen will reveal. May not be related to Microsoft's announcement at all. Maybe the will announce enterprise apps in health care. Who knows. I think BB will carve out a profitable market and are laying the ground work for the market to also come to them. Security will become increasingly important.
    04-29-15 05:13 PM
    Objective C code is less than half of the work of an iOS mobile app. Much of it is moving the UI elements around including screens, buttons, tables, etc. That stuff is proprietary to iOS but Microsoft can make similar but not duplicates of these elements. There will probably be a big lawsuit and, eventually, a settlement.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-29-15 05:18 PM
    I do not see MS being ahead of the game with BlackBerry already doing this. Most BlackBerry OS 10 users are able to run Android iOS Apps on their devices.

For an MS executive to make reference of Candy Crush Saga on windows devices is lame.
    04-29-15 06:06 PM
93 123 ...