Okay. The year is 2014. RIM's stock is now at $8. Market share is now 7%. A hedge fund has taken over RIM and has fired Mike Lazaridis and Jim Ballsilly [sic].

You are now interviewing for the job of CEO. You are asked to make a presentation to the fund managers. You have to give a 10 item action plan. No more than 10 but you can do less. What 10 items in point form?

I'll start:

1. Front facing camera on all phones. It better run skype.

2. Wifi hotspot on all phones.

3. Reduce the lineup to 3 phones. A keyboard phone, an all touch phone and a hybrid with touch and slide out keyboard. All phones to have touch screens.

4. Add video messaging to BBM.

5. Apps, apps, apps and have seed money to fund the development of the 5 most popular apps on Android and the iphone. These apps have to run on Blackberry.

6. No plastic on any model. The iphone is made of metal. Use metal! Step up the industrial design. Make the blackberry an object of desire.

7. Maybe run Android apps on BB with an emulator.

9. License the QNX OS to HTC, Samsung and LG for free. I use to have a Nokia E62 that had Blackberry connect. It was awesome because Nokia hardware was better than Blackberry's at the time.

10. Keep your mouth shut! No promises you can't keep. Don't talk about the new OS you are bringing out in 3 years. Be like Apple. Talk about new products on launch day.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-21-11 at 03:05 AM.
    12-21-11 03:03 AM
    So true!
    Hope somebody from RIM sees this and does something!
    12-21-11 04:35 AM
    So it is 2014 and RIM failed in Launching QNX according to your scenario.

So how would I save RIM.

I would realign focus back to RIM's Roots, if in 2014 RIM has failed to launch QNX as a successful OS and has a global market share of 7% my assumption is that market share is held by Enterprise and low cost users.

I would invest heavily in an expansion of BES to include more features for Enterprise from multi device Multi OS management, to VOIP management, and include management of cloud services, and integration with corporate security systems the BES will be the core of the technology infrastructure.
    Fees for the system would be based on modules, as well as users, Fee discounts are applied to BlackBerry devices connected to the BES, but only nominal discounts to maintain profitability of the BES even in All BlackBerry environments.

I would focus on markets where security and control matter more, such as Medical, government, Military, Education. and build tools to integrate QNX into equipment as well as including a chipset to give those devices PIN's for BES management, and bridge access to BlackBerry's and PlayBooks.

The sales and marketing strategy would be focused on Enterprise, and utilize personal business to business marketing for major players, press releases and publications in industry locations, and attending major trade shows related to those industries.

After This has been set in motion and traction in the enterprise market is returning, I'd focus on 3 Key phones, Premium QWERTY, Premium Slab, Low cost slab,
    Both Premium phones are targeted for the North American market with relevant features to the time, and relevant specs.
    the Low cost slab is geared to NON Latin alphabet countries, those with money can buy the premium version, those without can get the low cost slab. all devices will support as many global bands as feasible at the time.

Each device would have a 12 month build cycle, I'd adopt the Allan Mulally model for corporate governance to stay on top of build progress to find problems while they are small and share department resources to solve issues to keep all departments on a time line. Bonus structures would be tied to individual performance, group performance, and corporate performance, with a demerit system for missing deadlines, Project leaders will have a vested interest in ensuring they can keep their team motivated through out the design and development phase.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-21-11 06:27 AM
    I like the 4 phone approach: Bold, Full Touch, Torch, and low cost Curve.

Definitely make sure the business market stays BB by doing as another person suggested by attending trade/business shows and maybe have a section on the BB website so business owners that own small-medium businesses can go and actually see how and why they can afford and benefit from BB.

I think they should take another shot at a tablet whether it be a 7" or 10" I don't know as both have their benefits. Maybe make a retail version and an enterprise/business version where there are no native apps so security is kept. Thoughts on that?

Lastly and most important for me, hire the Coors Light girls for a new commercial! Yeah baby.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-11 06:40 AM
    So Now I'm going to change your scenario to a company not battling from death, but a company at the start of their rebirth.

July 2012, RIM announced Fiscal Q1 2013, subcribership stagnated vs the 78 Million announced in Fiscal Q4 2012, with 3 quarters of declining subscribership the and the January 31st decision to Extend Jim & Mikes tenure as CEO/Chairmen for 6 months up, RIM is now looking for a New CEO,

This would be my Plan
    evaluate the time line for the first BBX device, and push it to be launched in September / October, without a public announcement as to launch date, Stock value is of little difference to me, as new CEO My focus needs to be on getting the best public perception of the product, no more public release date announcements without firm dates available, and the ability to beat the dates.

All BB10 Phones would include
    small bezel for playbook like gestures.
    1800-2000mhA Batteries
    Front and rear facing cameras (curve series 5MB/3MB, other series 8MB/3MB)
    Bluetooth 4 Smart Ready
    NFC capabilities
    backlit trackpad

Full touch screen
    Full touchscreen slider
    Both phones will match specs
    1.2Ghz-1.5Ghz dual core processors, 1GB of RAM, with 8GB of onboard app addressable storage
    Both phones will have a 600 x 1024 resolution on a 4.0" touch screen,
    Both phones will have a customizable software keyboard, with options for downloadable alternative keyboards like SWIPE

Bold 9900 Form Factor
    1.2Ghz-1.5Ghz Dual core processors, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of onboard addressable storage
    2.8" bezelled touchscreen,
    leather back like the 9000 bold,
    device needs to be bullet proof, no light leakage, well built, this will be the premium keyboard device of 2012, it must be perfect in manufacturing.

Curve Series: Curve, and Curve HD
    Both devices will have 1.2Ghz single core processors
    Both devices will have 512MB RAM
    Both devices will have 2.4" touch screens
    Both devices will have 4GB onboard addressable storage
    Curve HD will have a 10MP back LED lit camera, and 3MB FFC, ( or what ever is the TOP OF THE LINE Camera on smartphones at the time)
    regular curve will have as listed above for camera

Pearl Series!
    Welcome Back Pearl! thinner sexier, 16GB onboard storage, and FREE BBMM
    1.2Ghz Single core processor
    512MB RAM
    1.8" touchscreen
    SureType Keyboard
    This device is target as the MP3 Player replacement!

These device roll outs would take us into the 2013 roll out year to start again

I would be taking the PlayBook to
    7" , 9", 15",
    The PlayBooks would follow the same mentality as the first when it comes to hardware, Being top of the line, great looking, great sounding, but would include Bluetooth 4 Smart ready, and NFC.
    7" Target market are true mobile users on the go, people who traditionally need information on the go but don't sit at the same desk all day, they want portability but a usable screen size, they want a compact phone for personal life when not working so a 5" slap phone isn't an option.
    9" Target market are semi mobile users, the user who wants to sit at a coffee shop, brings the tablet to his desk, or just uses it to ride the bus, it is more likely a family tablet/coffee table tablet, being left behind more than it is brought out when moving and shaking,
    15" Target Market is Enterprise, and Mobile users. the 15" becomes a notebook replacement with a Keyboard docking station, it is meant to sit on desks, and tables, it creates a bridgeable terminal for BlackBerry carrying employee's to come to, it creates a large screen for data entry tasks that will be tracked by the BES.

Beyond this I'd also be pushing to expand the ecosystem
    USER controlled BIS functions such as
    > email Truncation size
    > Web based carrier.blackberry.net email with Carrier billing for additional space
    > Web based carrier.blackberry.net storage with Carrier billing for additional space

RIM needs Carrier Billing, Credit Card Billing, Prepaid Gift Card Billing, PayPal Billing for the following

App World ( Needs a Sub, Theme World, Games World, App World, Corp World)
    BBM Music ( subscription model + song purchase model)
    BBM Video ( Subscription model + purchase model
    BBM Books ( Possibly a Partnership with Kobo as Kobo is very social networking conscience )

I would move the open domain Books from being called Apps, and would have their own category, to keep App world clean, they wouldn't be features in the NEW APPS section, but a NEW self contained books section,

I'd also turn attention to the plan I said above, as I feel it would be a solid move to ensure BES is the centre of every company's technology infrastructure, beyond just phone management.
    12-21-11 06:55 AM
    So Now I'm going to change your scenario to a company not battling from death, but a company at the start of their rebirth.

July 2012, RIM announced Fiscal Q1 2013, subcribership stagnated vs the 78 Million announced in Fiscal Q4 2012, with 3 quarters of declining subscribership the and the January 31st decision to Extend Jim & Mikes tenure as CEO/Chairmen for 6 months up, RIM is now looking for a New CEO,

This would be my Plan
    evaluate the time line for the first BBX device, and push it to be launched in September / October, without a public announcement as to launch date, Stock value is of little difference to me, as new CEO My focus needs to be on getting the best public perception of the product, no more public release date announcements without firm dates available, and the ability to beat the dates.

1800-2000mhA Batteries
    Bluetooth 4 Smart Ready
    NFC capabilities
    backlit trackpad

Full touch screen
    Full touchscreen slider
    1.2Ghz-1.5Ghz dual core processors, 1GB of RAM, with 8GB of onboard app addressable storage
    Both phones will have a customizable software keyboard, with options for downloadable alternative keyboards like SWIPE

Bold 9900 Form Factor
    1.2Ghz-1.5Ghz Dual core processors, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of onboard addressable storage
    device needs to be bullet proof, no light leakage, well built, this will be the premium keyboard device of 2012, it must be perfect in manufacturing.

Curve HD will have a 10MP back LED lit camera, and 3MB FFC, ( or what ever is the TOP OF THE LINE Camera on smartphones at the time)

Pearl Series!
    512MB RAM
    1.8" touchscreen
    SureType Keyboard

7" , 9", 15",
    The PlayBooks would follow the same mentality as the first when it comes to hardware, Being top of the line, great looking, great sounding, but would include Bluetooth 4 Smart ready, and NFC.
    7" Target market are true mobile users on the go, people who traditionally need information on the go but don't sit at the same desk all day, they want portability but a usable screen size, they want a compact phone for personal life when not working so a 5" slap phone isn't an option.
    9" Target market are semi mobile users, the user who wants to sit at a coffee shop, brings the tablet to his desk, or just uses it to ride the bus, it is more likely a family tablet/coffee table tablet, being left behind more than it is brought out when moving and shaking,
    15" Target Market is Enterprise, and Mobile users. the 15" becomes a notebook replacement with a Keyboard docking station, it is meant to sit on desks, and tables, it creates a bridgeable terminal for BlackBerry carrying employee's to come to, it creates a large screen for data entry tasks that will be tracked by the BES.

> email Truncation size
    > Web based carrier.blackberry.net email with Carrier billing for additional space
    > Web based carrier.blackberry.net storage with Carrier billing for additional space

RIM needs Carrier Billing, Credit Card Billing, Prepaid Gift Card Billing, PayPal Billing for the following

BBM Books ( Possibly a Partnership with Kobo as Kobo is very social networking conscience )

I would move the open domain Books from being called Apps, and would have their own category, to keep App world clean, they wouldn't be features in the NEW APPS section, but a NEW self contained books section,

I'd also turn attention to the plan I said above, as I feel it would be a solid move to ensure BES is the centre of every company's technology infrastructure, beyond just phone management.
    One question. Are you changing the dual core requirement?
    12-21-11 07:24 AM
    a lot of new apps and mass advertising is my strategy.
    12-21-11 07:33 AM
    One question. Are you changing the dual core requirement?

Yes, I'm going to assume that the QNX OS can be made to use a single core with some loss of functionality, like Presenter mode, on the single core phones, multi tasking would be similar to that on the BBOS7 line, BBOS7 phones seeing a QNX update during the second round of BBX devices, to help clear out any old inventory and to bring QNX into alternative markets that hold their hardware much longer.

it may require some work on the OS to create BB10lite, to run on single core processors, but I think it would be advantageous

UNLESS of course Qualcomm has affordable dualcore 800mhz-1Ghz 28nm chips then I'd replace the single core BBX phones with said chipset and still look at a BBX lite for Alternative markets but push it yet another year to ensure I get upgrade dollars from BB7 owners in North America.
    Guatiao likes this.
    12-21-11 08:02 AM
    Yes, I'm going to assume that the QNX OS can be made to use a single core with some loss of functionality, like Presenter mode, on the single core phones, multi tasking would be similar to that on the BBOS7 line, BBOS7 phones seeing a QNX update during the second round of BBX devices, to help clear out any old inventory and to bring QNX into alternative markets that hold their hardware much longer.

it may require some work on the OS to create BB10lite, to run on single core processors, but I think it would be advantageous

UNLESS of course Qualcomm has affordable dualcore 800mhz-1Ghz 28nm chips then I'd replace the single core BBX phones with said chipset and still look at a BBX lite for Alternative markets but push it yet another year to ensure I get upgrade dollars from BB7 owners in North America.
    You're hired. When can you start?
    12-21-11 08:09 AM
    You're hired. When can you start?
    February

need to wait for the Board decisions on the Co CEO / Co Chairmen Structure due Jan 31st

Then I get to get my Marketing and sales hat on to push BBOS7 devices out, and to find new ways to penetrate the market with existing devices, whilst looking at speeding up QNX development

if I took over in February I'd be looking at a DualCore OS7 device for launch on GSM networks, THAT device would get the BBX update with in 2 months of the Official BBX launch.

Basically what ever RIM was looking to launch in Feb for T-Mobile/AT&T would get a bit of reworking for BBOS7, to be a stop gap device with a future.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-11 08:13 AM
    February

need to wait for the Board decisions on the Co CEO / Co Chairmen Structure due Jan 31st

Then I get to get my Marketing and sales hat on to push BBOS7 devices out, and to find new ways to penetrate the market with existing devices, whilst looking at speeding up QNX development

if I took over in February I'd be looking at a DualCore OS7 device for launch on GSM networks, THAT device would get the BBX update with in 2 months of the Official BBX launch.

Basically what ever RIM was looking to launch in Feb for T-Mobile/AT&T would get a bit of reworking for BBOS7, to be a stop gap device with a future.
    That would be an LTE phone? What about us poor souls on CDMA?
    12-21-11 08:28 AM
    That would be an LTE phone? What about us poor souls on CDMA?
    You'd be stuck waiting for LTE, as I am a believer in RIM's choice to wait for 28nm Chips with onboard LTE before launching an LTE product,

so you'd be waiting until Late summer/ fall if I could get that time line underway
    12-21-11 08:35 AM
    I will hire devs. I wouldn't pay them to build fart machines. We would be building apps that strengthen our hardware. For example we would build gps software. There's a lot of good things happening with gps that we could capitalize on.
    I can see where a front facing camera can be useful in the business world. With the approach of LTE I want to take advantage of it with video conference calls. Forget skyp we'll write our own.
    Investors fasten your seat belts. Our high end phones has free apps from app world. The lower and mid grade devices buy the apps. The devs have to deliver or find enployement.
    My thoughts on the free apps is businesses can get the devices that meet their budget. The three lines go Bold,Torch,and Curve. The Bold will come with all the apps just some will have to be installed to keep from junking up the device. We're talking $300+ devices. The Torch and curve will pretty much where they are now. Torch will have the features to keep it a $200 device and the curve with conmucation in mind a $100 device. What this will do is keep the Torch from selling cheaper than the curve killing the curve sales.
    I would demand for the software and hardware teams to get us wireless syncing by wifi and wireless. We'll have an icon or option in menu (user defined) that you select "synch now" and what ever you have setup gets synced. I want an option to set where when the device is cradled it auto syncs.
    I thibk the 1 thing I would do differently than anybody else is. I would have the CEOs of all the companies present at the meetings. Just so they can see how serious we take our company. I'll make believers out of em. They show up and deliver their goods on time or I'll start buying from somewhere else.

12-21-11 08:37 AM
    You'd be stuck waiting for LTE, as I am a believer in RIM's choice to wait for 28nm Chips with onboard LTE before launching an LTE product,

so you'd be waiting until Late summer/ fall if I could get that time line underway
    Thanks. I asked because so many think if their next phone is not LTE no one will want it and it shows they are still behind. Myself, I can wait to spend more for LTE until I'm forced to.
    12-21-11 08:44 AM
    Thanks. I asked because so many think if their next phone is not LTE no one will want it and it shows they are still behind. Myself, I can wait to spend more for LTE until I'm forced to.
    in Reality,
    if I was a contract phone buyer on CDMA I would not buy a phone that did not have LTE, Pricepoints on contract for premium phones vary by $50, I would want LTE and would easily pay $50 over 2 years to take advantage of that speed jump.

RIM must build a phone with 6 month sellability, and a CDMA phone without LTE will not have that, an HSPA+ Phone COULD especially for the UK market which has no short term plans for the introduction of LTE
    12-21-11 09:01 AM
    I like the 4 phone approach: Bold, Full Touch, Torch, and low cost Curve.

Definitely make sure the business market stays BB by doing as another person suggested by attending trade/business shows and maybe have a section on the BB website so business owners that own small-medium businesses can go and actually see how and why they can afford and benefit from BB.

I think they should take another shot at a tablet whether it be a 7" or 10" I don't know as both have their benefits. Maybe make a retail version and an enterprise/business version where there are no native apps so security is kept. Thoughts on that?

Lastly and most important for me, hire the Coors Light girls for a new commercial! Yeah baby.

Yes!!! They need major marketing!!!!!
    12-21-11 09:30 AM

This would be my Plan

1800-2000mhA Batteries
    Bluetooth 4 Smart Ready
    NFC capabilities
    backlit trackpad

Full touch screen
    Full touchscreen slider

Bold 9900 Form Factor

Pearl Series!
    512MB RAM
    1.8" touchscreen
    SureType Keyboard

7" , 9", 15",

> email Truncation size

Wow! I hope RIM reads this. From their current hardware and OS offerings, it looks like they have never tried an iphone or android handset. Those boys live in a vacuum.
    12-21-11 09:34 AM
    I would get out of the hardware business. RIM needs to focus on what it does best, enterprise. They should look to continue the trend to expand BES across all platforms and give up on devices. Motorola, Samsung and the rest can continue to make QWERTY based devices, but they should just focus on what made them profitable in the first place. Hardware is a cold-war era arms race and they will never catch-up.

If they would focus on software and services, they could make a killing.
    12-21-11 10:04 AM
    I'd take the opposite approach. Focus on the consmer 1st with a line of devices not tied to BIS/BES. The shrinking enterprise market would come second (RIM is already losing ground here) with the goal of eliminating the NOC entirely.

The NOC is limited, slow and unreliable (secure though). No other manufacturer has this limitation, it served its purpose and is time to retire it.

So it is 2014 and RIM failed in Launching QNX according to your scenario.

So how would I save RIM.

I would realign focus back to RIM's Roots, if in 2014 RIM has failed to launch QNX as a successful OS and has a global market share of 7% my assumption is that market share is held by Enterprise and low cost users.

I would invest heavily in an expansion of BES to include more features for Enterprise from multi device Multi OS management, to VOIP management, and include management of cloud services, and integration with corporate security systems the BES will be the core of the technology infrastructure.
    Fees for the system would be based on modules, as well as users, Fee discounts are applied to BlackBerry devices connected to the BES, but only nominal discounts to maintain profitability of the BES even in All BlackBerry environments.

I would focus on markets where security and control matter more, such as Medical, government, Military, Education. and build tools to integrate QNX into equipment as well as including a chipset to give those devices PIN's for BES management, and bridge access to BlackBerry's and PlayBooks.

The sales and marketing strategy would be focused on Enterprise, and utilize personal business to business marketing for major players, press releases and publications in industry locations, and attending major trade shows related to those industries.

After This has been set in motion and traction in the enterprise market is returning, I'd focus on 3 Key phones, Premium QWERTY, Premium Slab, Low cost slab,
    Both Premium phones are targeted for the North American market with relevant features to the time, and relevant specs.
    the Low cost slab is geared to NON Latin alphabet countries, those with money can buy the premium version, those without can get the low cost slab. all devices will support as many global bands as feasible at the time.

Each device would have a 12 month build cycle, I'd adopt the Allan Mulally model for corporate governance to stay on top of build progress to find problems while they are small and share department resources to solve issues to keep all departments on a time line. Bonus structures would be tied to individual performance, group performance, and corporate performance, with a demerit system for missing deadlines, Project leaders will have a vested interest in ensuring they can keep their team motivated through out the design and development phase.
    12-21-11 10:18 AM
    I'd take the opposite approach. Focus on the consmer 1st with a line of devices not tied to BIS/BES. The shrinking enterprise market would come second (RIM is already losing ground here) with the goal of eliminating the NOC entirely.

The NOC is limited, slow and unreliable (secure though). No other manufacturer has this limitation, it served its purpose and is time to retire it.
    SO you would take RIM on a race to the bottom? eliminate the most profitable product they make, and the product most RIM death predictors think has the only value for the company.

Interesting stance.
    12-21-11 10:42 AM
    If I were RIM. I would design a very fast attractive 4g Curve and hire business development sales specialists to promote it. I would be the first one to sign up.
    12-21-11 10:51 AM
    80% of revenue came from hardware, 2% from software. Most profitable? Really? The percentage of customers RIM considers "enterprise subscribers" is down to 16% (2.8million in the US) and slipping. That 2% revenue will soon start to cost them money. Failing to focus on the consumer will cause RIM to fail.

SO you would take RIM on a race to the bottom? eliminate the most profitable product they make, and the product most RIM death predictors think has the only value for the company.

Interesting stance.
    12-21-11 10:56 AM
    80% of revenue came from hardware, 2% from software. Most profitable? Really? The percentage of customers RIM considers "enterprise subscribers" is down to 16% (2.8million in the US) and slipping. That 2% revenue will soon start to cost them money. Failing to focus on the consumer will cause RIM to fail.

79% hardware 19% services 2% software, you realize BES/BIS is Service Revenue, more than it is Software Revenue right?

Their margins are held up by the 19%, and that 19% is part of what secures their security business model, and their low data consumption model, 2 features which sell BlackBerry's

without the BIS/BES NOC the data compression that keeps costs down for Enterprise and Consumers alike is gone, the device management that they are launching for Alternative platforms in 2012 with mobile Fusion looks to bring higher revenue from Service contracts which I suspect in the next quarter will be 20-22% of their revenue.
    12-21-11 11:04 AM

I agree. NOC is archaic. Android and iphone can hook up to Microsoft Exchange directly.

They need to focus on the consumer. Their little BES thiefdom is coming to an end and fast!!!!
    12-21-11 11:09 AM
    BES is service revenue? I thought BES was sold on a license basis (software) and negated (service) fees, hence Software revenue? Is there a monthly fee to run your own BES server? No wonder their enterprise presence is dying fast if thats the case!....

If BES is part of the 19% service revenue then naturally it makes sense to keep it around and I retract what I said, except for focusing on the consumer as their primary customer.

79% hardware 19% services 2% software, you realize BES/BIS is Service Revenue, more than it is Software Revenue right?

Their margins are held up by the 19%, and that 19% is part of what secures their security business model, and their low data consumption model, 2 features which sell BlackBerry's

without the BIS/BES NOC the data compression that keeps costs down for Enterprise and Consumers alike is gone, the device management that they are launching for Alternative platforms in 2012 with mobile Fusion looks to bring higher revenue from Service contracts which I suspect in the next quarter will be 20-22% of their revenue.
    12-21-11 11:13 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD