Sorry to be a pessimist, but what would happen if I got a new BB phone on a 2 year contract and RIM go out of business in the next 2 years? (Which is unlikely but not inconceivable). If RIM go bankrupt, would my network (Orange) still run BIS services or would I have a useless phone? As far as I know, the servers belong to RIM not the networks. If BIS stops working, would my network give me a new non BB handset?

I guess I should really be asking Orange this question but thought I would try here first.
    11-29-11 11:39 AM
    I doubt seriously that Rim goes out of business anytime soon but by the same token that is a valid question. You're correct in saying there would be no BIS service but I do stand corrected. If that were to happen you would have to get with your carrier on another phone. I don't see any need for worry though.
    11-29-11 11:52 AM
    That is the only downside of BB (as a consumer investing the monthly equivalent of �500 on a new handset). If Nokia go bankrupt, my Nokia phone will still work as it should (even if I bought it five years ago). Not so with a 9900. And I can't see Orange replacing everyone's handsets. It would cost them a fortune. I realise it is a small risk though.
    11-29-11 12:02 PM
    Your carrier would support your warranty needs by replacing the device if in warranty with another device if necessary. If out of warranty, you would need to switch at your own cost.

Chances of RIM going out of business in the next two years is 0.000000001% in my opinion. They are profitable and growing. They are entrenched in many markets. They may have to reconfigure, etc but they won't go out of business.

I think this server move is a good one. If they follow it up with more compelling devices, they could further entrench in corporations.
    11-29-11 12:05 PM
    Valid question, but omg no need to worry if these happens it will
    be years and years from now. Too many corporate accounts rely on Rim
    and so many plans for the future with BBX phones and the ability to run
    android apps adds to this. Plus the playbook I don't know who's not in love
    with their Playbook.
    Don't forget outside of North America Rim is making money and lots of it. pretty dominant
    outside North America.
    ODAAT likes this.
    11-29-11 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD