View Poll Results: What would convince you to switch to a BlackBerry phone?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • More apps

34 44.74%
  • Better screen resulution

11 14.47%
  • Slider phone

14 18.42%
  • QWERTY with larger screen

21 27.63%
  • Better camera

27 35.53%
  • Other

28 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I'm a medical professional. There's no way that I could use Blackberry as my daily drive because most of the niche medical apps that I use are only available on iPhone or Android. Even Epocrates, which is something I use on a daily basis, would have to be sideloaded. Additionally, it updates itself on a regular basis and is finicky enough without using it on an unsupported platform.
    01-16-14 02:07 PM
    My reasoning for not using blackberry really doesn't have anything to do with blackberry. I have an iPhone and have used it for 3 years, I have purchased a few apps and gotten a lot of free ones. I don't want to have to download all of the apps I want or repurchase apps I have already bought. I guess the bottom line is that I am so invested in apples eco system, it makes switching nearly impossible for me.
    I believe you.

Ecosystem can be a huge investment. I know it is for me to a degree.
    01-16-14 02:17 PM
    You can sync that with your iCloud account.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    One down, one to go...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-16-14 02:57 PM
    I'm a medical professional. There's no way that I could use Blackberry as my daily drive because most of the niche medical apps that I use are only available on iPhone or Android. Even Epocrates, which is something I use on a daily basis, would have to be sideloaded. Additionally, it updates itself on a regular basis and is finicky enough without using it on an unsupported platform.
    This argument is invalid seeing how almost all android apps run on bb10

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 03:52 PM
    How does it work?
    Can you direct me to any benchmarks to support your anecdote about Apple versus the z10?
    Also lets not forget price/performance.
    I played with a z10 in the store last spring and it did not strike me as being any faster than my Galaxy Nexus, that's my anecdote.

z30
    1.7 ghz dual core
    2 gigs ram
    5 inch 295 ppi screen
    8 megapixel rear camera
    2880 mAH battery
    16 gigs storage
    CDN$ 669.00 (amazon)

Nexus 5
    2.26 ghz quad core
    2 gigs ram
    4.95 inch 445 ppi screen
    8 megapixel rear camera
    2300 mAH battery
    16 gigs storage
    CDN$ 349.00 (google play)

Xperia Z Ultra
    2.2 ghz quad core
    2 gigs ram
    6.44 inch 342 ppi screen
    8 megapixel rear camera
    3050 mAH battery
    16 gigs storage
    CDN$709.10 (google play US) todays exchange rate

The Xperia Z ultra could replace my tablet and my smartphone.
    I like BB10 but not enough to buy a phone with a inferior ecosystem from a shaky company that has a whiff of douchebaggery.
    Effective coding makes up for a lot of "slower" processors.

Apple had the fastest pc on the market with its G5 processor from Motorola, and it was far slower in terms of specs

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:01 PM
    This argument is invalid seeing how almost all android apps run on bb10

Posted via CB10
    Come on. No. Not even BBRY believes this. I'm not making that up. Ask them on twitter or via official channels if almost all android apps run on BB10.

And even if that were accurate, "almost all" doesn't cut it.
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    01-16-14 04:06 PM
    For every ecosystem I use, I have some anchor apps. On Android

Tasker
    JotterpadX/Wordpress
    Titanium Backup
    Hangouts
    Gmail
    Swype Cloud

These are all indispensable work tools. I'd switch daily drivers for 3 of the 5 (I'd reluctantly forego Gmail and Hangouts and lug a laptop for the other three or something equitable).

BB10 has some anchor features as well (I'd consider the hub to be a major one) but in the battle of daily driver ecosystems, BB10 is a bit underpowered for my needs.
    01-16-14 04:15 PM
    Effective coding makes up for a lot of "slower" processors.

Apple had the fastest pc on the market with its G5 processor from Motorola, and it was far slower in terms of specs

Posted via CB10
    So are you saying that BB10 is coded more effectively than Android? If so please explain.
    01-16-14 04:28 PM
    So are you saying that BB10 is coded more effectively than Android? If so please explain.
    Oh noes!!!

Will the explanation involve mention of micro kernels d'you think?
    Tre Lawrence and DrBoomBotz like this.
    01-16-14 04:35 PM
    Oh noes!!!

Will the explanation involve mention of micro kernels d'you think?

[cabinet has been debating putting water on the plants instead of Brawndo]
    Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
    Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo!
    Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo?
    Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes.
    01-16-14 05:38 PM
    I've always been a blackberry fan. But never got had one. I wanted the 9900 back in the day but took my chances with the palm pre. Lmao! That didn't work out well. But I did love that little phone. But to be honest. I'd love to see a qwerty touch screen combo with a bigger screen. With the phablet market up and coming. We can see that the size of the device isn't to much or a thing now a days. I'd really love to see. Bigger screened qwerty. When that happens I would happily get mea bblackberry.
    01-16-14 06:09 PM
    I'm not saying anything...

Someone just asked how a faster processor could be beaten by one that is slower on paper. The answer is better coding..

I'm not saying BlackBerry does this bc I don't know. I'm just saying it's plausible.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:22 PM
    Come on. No. Not even BBRY believes this. I'm not making that up. Ask them on twitter or via official channels if almost all android apps run on BB10.

And even if that were accurate, "almost all" doesn't cut it.
    I've not run into any problems.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:23 PM
    I'd have to say it would be the apps. I mean I already have some of the ones I use often, but having the same selection as I would on the Play Store or Apple App Store, it would be nice.

The hardware of my Z10 may not be the best, but I'm already contented with it.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    01-16-14 06:35 PM
    The only thing that would get me to switch, as things stand today, would be if I suddenly needed enterprise-level security and control over my phone.

Otherwise, I use Google for everything, and am fully invested in Google's apps and ecosystem, which are the best for me and my needs. I ran my last company with Google services VERY successfully, and with excellent support on both iOS and Android, all of my techs could get their work (custom app for Android and iOS to get electronic work orders, which can be completed in real-time on the device), send their job pics (G+ Photos, formerly Picasa), use Maps to get to the next customer or meet another tech, take credit card payments on the device, and do everything we needed to do. There were a couple of other custom apps (DishPointer being one) that my techs used all the time, only available on iOS and Android. The one tech with a legacy BB quickly switched once he saw what my other techs could do.

Google's services aren't really available on BB, so, for me, the platform is of little use to me. I use GMail, Maps, G+, Hangouts, Now, and Drive extensively, and between iOS and Android, that means there's a 95+% chance that any new person is already going to be supported on their existing phone, tablet, laptop, and/or desktop. While BB10 might have been able to do some of these things, and a few more of them once 10.2.1 (or 10.3) is eventually rolled out, my techs were able to do all of this 2-3 years ago on the other platforms.

For a small business, ease of use and low cost is absolutely key, and BB just doesn't have anything that can compete right now.
    Great post, sums up the crux of the issue with BB with plenty of examples.
    01-16-14 06:48 PM
    Other . I want to come back to BlackBerry but they have Got to fix the stupid reboots.
    Apps I don't mind not having all because I'm not that big on games nor social media apps like Instagram, Pinterest, twitter.

Oh and I am a 31 year old consumer.
    What's the reboot issue? I had some on a BB OS7 phone before.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:04 PM
    Proven stability (my Z10 was unstable as can be and I am not convinced yet. Poor quality control has been a theme since os5.)

Proven financial health and performance (I realize this is a chicken or egg issue)

And truly integrate Google Play and Apps or fill the gap with BB10 apps

Fill the Os7 to BB10 feature gap! (This should have never happened)
    WorkStation 0 likes this.
    01-16-14 07:09 PM
    [QUOTE=Tim Heard;9857029] I'm an anomaly. I have a personal preference for physical keyboards, but I really need a physical keyboard.

I'll say. Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 08:52 PM

Jacob Appelbaum, an independent security expert and Snowden confidante, told technology experts in Hamburg last week that the U.S. National Security Agency's high-tech spying gear is "even worse than your worst nightmares."

He says new exposes will show the NSA can turn iPhones into eavesdropping "bugs" and has unlimited ability to break into our computers.

True or not, that deep pessimism is echoed by British security analyst and former MI5 whistleblower Annie Machon. She sees a nightmare reality in which all governments have let secret agencies spy on virtually anyone they want and on each other without limits.

"Indeed, not only have we learned that we are all under constant electronic surveillance, but these politicians are targeted, too," she wrote in a recent column for RT publication. "We are all now targets."
    Edward Snowden did us all a favour, it's time to curb the snooping - World - CBC News
    01-16-14 09:26 PM

Someone just asked how a faster processor could be beaten by one that is slower on paper. The answer is better coding..

I'm not saying BlackBerry does this bc I don't know. I'm just saying it's plausible.

Posted via CB10
    Also the OS architecture and design can really help. It can allow for optimizations for the type of device (e.g PC vs phone), and right down to the type of hardware. That's probably in part why we see the various STL and STA builds.

The issue with Android, as I understand, is that it is generic from Google, and then tweaked and modified by each manufacturer. It's not nearly as optimized. I believe that is why you can't compare specs as its apples to oranges comparison. Also, that is why there's all the fragmentation. Each Android release has to be evaluated and worked for each platform. So there is no standard release date for Android across manufacturers.

My mom and sister had lower end HTC and Samsung with what would be specs not much below a Z10, or Q5, and they were unusable phones. You could be several letters ahead, or even words ahead in typing before it would catch up. The lag was amazing. I have an S3 as well, and it works well, but will still lag sometimes, which is strange considering the horse power in it compared to my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 09:38 PM
    Exactly.... no foundation to their arguments. most people can't even say they PREFER the iphone bc THEY HAVENT TRIED ANY OTHER OS.

If you've tried today's offerings and decide with a Ios, android, we, Web os, ubuntu whatever. I have no issue at all..... but if you dont...........

Posted via CB10
    "THEY HAVENT TRIED ANY OTHER OS. " - exactly. Thus, we can lead to the idea that it has more to do with social status and behavior as opposed to which device actually meets their wants.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 09:55 PM
    I consider myself a consumer as I'm 20. I would say Google drive access is all that's holding me back right now.
    The native PlayCloud app provides Drive and in a pretty cool way. Come on in! The water's great!
    01-16-14 09:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think too that Apple, for example, has more junk running in the background as opposed to the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 09:57 PM
    What would convince me? A cheaper phone that I can buy outright and unlocked direct from the company.

Seriously, they price their phones like they're the only game in town rather than being struggling for 3rd or 4th place. I'd love a Q5 or Q10. I want to try out BB10, but I'd want a QWERTY phone if I get one because to me that's the 'true Blackberry experience'.

I quite like my iPhone 5S but I really want to try a BB10. Let me buy one unlocked at a reasonable price without a 3 year contract, and I'll give it a shot.

FWIW I am in Canada, where 3-year contracts are the status quo, and the only place I can find BB10 phones for outright purchase & unlocked is eBay, and they seem overpriced considering the risks of buying on eBay.
    Not sure if it's just in manitoba, but there are no 3 year contracts at all here anymore. 2 year max..

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 10:12 PM
    For me it would be the ability to search the notes section within the contacts. I have notes that I search daily that makes all the difference in the world.
    By A lot of the comments on here it is obvious that some of you have not tried it or spent any time to get to know BB10. Then Q10 is a great device but certain features keep from switching and staying.
    Last edited by chrise1; 01-16-14 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added a period.
    01-16-14 10:26 PM
133 ... 23456