I am now concerned that because the BB10 phones are selling poorly that the American Carriers will now give Z10 and q10 even less attention. We will never see updates. Also, because BlackBerry is not a big seller, they may not carry future phones like the A10. This could snowball in a very bad way.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    06-29-13 05:20 AM
    i am not sure i am ready to believe that. The Q10 just released so I think they will have to see how that sells. Updates are updates, the carriers are always bad with them no matter how good or bad the phone sells.
    a.crews likes this.
    06-29-13 05:50 AM
    The Q10 is already in the back shelf of the store next to the Z10 and some leftover cheap Androids.
    The tepid carrier response is partly responsible for the Q10 abysmal performance.
    I don't think the carrier will do anything differently - they haven't done much of anything so far. Been pretty pathetic.

They are waiting for the iPhone 6. BTW - the terrible, horrible iPhone 5 sold more units (and you all know how bad it was) during the first weekend than BB sold in the last quarter. Just think about how tough it is to compete against that.
    JeepBB, j21jam6 and maddie1128 like this.
    06-29-13 05:53 AM
    i am not sure i am ready to believe that. The Q10 just released so I think they will have to see how that sells. Updates are updates, the carriers are always bad with them no matter how good or bad the phone sells.
    Not too long ago, the American carriers stopped buying Nokia phones. As a result, Nokia was shut out of the American market for years.

This is what I am afraid could happen. What if they decline to sell A10? If they are not selling Z10s and Q10s in quantity, this is definitely possible.
    06-29-13 06:22 AM
    Hopefully Blackberry will price their devices competitively in a bid to drive sales.
    Say what you will about the carriers, they cant force people to spend over the odds on phones and that buck stops with blackberry
    06-29-13 06:29 AM
    The Q10 is already in the back shelf of the store next to the Z10 and some leftover cheap Androids.
    The tepid carrier response is partly responsible for the Q10 abysmal performance.
    I don't think the carrier will do anything differently - they haven't done much of anything so far. Been pretty pathetic.

They are waiting for the iPhone 6. BTW - the terrible, horrible iPhone 5 sold more units (and you all know how bad it was) during the first weekend than BB sold in the last quarter. Just think about how tough it is to compete against that.
    Have to agree fully...the US market has been dismal.
    06-29-13 06:32 AM
    I don't know how VZW could support BBRY any less.
    j21jam6 and maddie1128 like this.
    06-29-13 08:25 AM
    And I am sure that if enough demand was there - and it isn't - Verizon would be supporting it.
    Chicken and egg.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-13 08:29 AM
    Apple is still the only company that does this right (Google nexus devices also). Release the updates directly to your customers, not through the carriers.
    06-29-13 10:02 AM
    I am now concerned that because the BB10 phones are selling poorly that the American Carriers will now give Z10 and q10 even less attention. We will never see updates. Also, because BlackBerry is not a big seller, they may not carry future phones like the A10. This could snowball in a very bad way.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    It is not like they have given them any attention anyway. No point of sale promotion. No signage. Tucked away with all the other phones. Poorly trained salespeople, who are not incentivized to encourage sales.

People in the States gave up on the old OS and don't even know there is a new one. It is sad.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    j21jam6 and maddie1128 like this.
    06-29-13 10:32 AM
    Apple is still the only company that does this right (Google nexus devices also). Release the updates directly to your customers, not through the carriers.
    I always wondered about that...why cant BB do this? I would think that it would have been a must feature for the new OS.

This is the reason I never liked Android, your device might not even get an upgrade ever. even though its hardware specs are top notch.
    06-29-13 10:33 AM

You know its nice you have a thorsten heins quote in yiur posts...but...what about quoting all the know it all posters quotes from here about blackberry? You know all those ones about how well they are selling. ...just wait till the results are in.....bb10 is coming to playbook...I guarantee it.......and all the other funny ones from posters hete who have now had their blinders taken off.

Only fair.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using CB Forums mobile app
    m1a1mg likes this.
    06-29-13 10:38 AM
    I was watching CNBC during the earning and more than one of the announcers noted that it was hard to get a Q10 and they must be selling well. One even put a plea into her IT department, reminding them she was waiting for her Q10.

They must be selling well in New York at least.

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:39 AM
    Why are you saying that the BB10 phones are selling "so poorly"? Do you know how to read the earning report? I don't think you understand what really impacted the earnings most. The results took into account sales thru May 31st, the Q10 just barely rolled out, the Z10 has been in the US only for two months, and many carriers did not even start selling BB10 phones till very recently. I will only mention the fact that the Q5 is just rolling out. So, again, why are you satting that the sales of BB10 are "poor". Just curious.
    06-29-13 10:47 AM
    I don't know how VZW could support BBRY any less.
    Not sure what part of the US you live in, but here in NYC a see a lots of Verizon TV adds with the Z10, and now mostly Q10. T-Mobile has been pretty aggresive with the radio ads as well. B was all over the TV during the final Game 7 of the NBA finals.
    kbz1960 and travaz like this.
    06-29-13 10:51 AM
    Why are you saying that the BB10 phones are selling "so poorly"? Do you know how to read the earning report? I don't think you understand what really impacted the earnings most. The results took into account sales thru May 31st, the Q10 just barely rolled out, the Z10 has been in the US only for two months, and many carriers did not even start selling BB10 phones till very recently. I will only mention the fact that the Q5 is just rolling out. So, again, why are you satting that the sales of BB10 are "poor". Just curious.
    The most troubling thing to me is not the number of devices that were sold but BB's future outlook. Last quarter, BB guided toward a breakeven quarter. This quarter, BB is guiding toward a loss. They feel this way even though they now have three brand new products on the market. If BB is not making money with three new products, when can it ever make money? Also, and equally troubling, is that gross margins are declining. This is the opposite of what should happen. New products should command higher margins, not lower margins.

What this means is that BB is not selling devices in quantities that are sufficient for the company to be profitable.
    Drew808 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:54 AM
    Not sure what part of the US you live in, but here in NYC a see a lots of Verizon TV adds with the Z10, and now mostly Q10. T-Mobile has been pretty aggresive with the radio ads as well. B was all over the TV during the final Game 7 of the NBA finals.
    Blackberry shouldn't rely on carrier advertisement at all. Apple and Samsung don't.
    06-29-13 11:24 AM
    Blackberry should be so good it should practically be selling itself.

That is how it used to be.

It is done when a proper market research is done into looking for what people like and what they dont.

Do I need to explain this further ..?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    06-29-13 11:48 AM
    The most troubling thing to me is not the number of devices that were sold but BB's future outlook. Last quarter, BB guided toward a breakeven quarter. This quarter, BB is guiding toward a loss. They feel this way even though they now have three brand new products on the market. If BB is not making money with three new products, when can it ever make money? Also, and equally troubling, is that gross margins are declining. This is the opposite of what should happen. New products should command higher margins, not lower margins.

What this means is that BB is not selling devices in quantities that are sufficient for the company to be profitable.
    I agree. The earnings report is 180 degrees opposite of what seemed to be happening. There were lots of positive stories about BlackBerry 10 uptake. Analysts talking up the stock. And then bam. Though I personally never thought the Z10 was selling well in the US.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-29-13 11:53 AM
    TV ads will not sell phones. They help with branding, but not with selling, especially when the ads do not trumpet the new OS or what it can do. Marketing needs to be done at the point of sale. I can tell you that in Louisville, KY, there is nothing being done at the carrier stores of AT&T and at BestBuy. No signage and often the salespeople do not know the product. I was lucky because I found a salesperson that was actually using a Z10 that the store had given him. He was an iPhone guy, but he knew I wanted a Z10 and did his best to sell me on its features and benefits. That was the exception and not the rule. I had been many other times to various stores to play with the Z10 to see if it is what I wanted. Most of the time it was, "The Z10. Who makes that? BlackBerry? Uh, I think it's over there on that wall."
    06-29-13 12:05 PM
    If you want to predict what US carriers will do then just look at what happened to HP/Palm. Initially, there is a desire among the carriers to prop up an alternative platform as a way of lessening the influence of their dominant partners like Apple. However, if this doesn't pan out then phones like the Pre, Pixi, and Veer fester in the back of the store uncharged. Sure, they will continue to carry them for the customers who ask for them by name but they aren't going to push them because they know they will get a lot of returns when buyers find out that their favorite app isn't available on their new phone.
    06-29-13 12:33 PM
    I can tell you that in Louisville, KY, there is nothing being done at the carrier stores of AT&T and at BestBuy. No signage and often the salespeople do not know the product. I was lucky because I found a salesperson that was actually using a Z10 that the store had given him. He was an iPhone guy, but he knew I wanted a Z10 and did his best to sell me on its features and benefits. That was the exception and not the rule. I had been many other times to various stores to play with the Z10 to see if it is what I wanted. Most of the time it was, "The Z10. Who makes that? BlackBerry? Uh, I think it's over there on that wall."
    Same experience in the Salt Lake City area. I went in to a VZW store in Midvale, Utah and asked the person that greeted me where the new BlackBerry devices were. Her response: "that's a good question" and she had to ask another clerk where they were on the shelves. The individual who directs customers as they come in the door had no clue where the phone was located....I don't call that much support.
    06-29-13 12:39 PM
    Same experience in the Salt Lake City area. I went in to a VZW store in Midvale, Utah and asked the person that greeted me where the new BlackBerry devices were. Her response: "that's a good question" and she had to ask another clerk where they were on the shelves. The individual who directs customers as they come in the door had no clue where the phone was located....I don't call that much support.
    Not much support, but what is worse, not much demand.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    06-29-13 12:47 PM
    Lived in the Midwest and just moved to the South. I've seen maybe 10 ads total. However, I've been in 5-10 different stores and seen the same support for BBRY, none.
    06-29-13 12:53 PM