So just like my title says what is it and how does it work?
    Is it something like skype?
    Do I need to do something special for it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 02:48 AM
    If you have T-Mobile, you can make and receive calls via WiFi. UMA is only available through T-Mobile in NA.

It's not like skype in that there is no client. Essentially, it's GSM over IP. UMA is built into the phone.

12-04-09 02:59 AM
    But how does it works?
    I mean I can put on my WiFi but i'll still be calling over my network ?
    12-04-09 06:44 AM
    It allows you to use the wifi to make calls with out using your cellular minuets. I consider it a perk with the service.

12-04-09 07:09 AM
    unless you have the unlimited WiFi calling feature, it does in fact use your plan minutes.

There are sill advantages to UMA calling however. A lot of us get poor signal in thier apartments/homes and the UMA feature can be a lifesaver.

Basically, UMA streams the GSM packets over the internet to your phone instead of the cell towers. Again, there is no client and the technology has to be supported by both your handset and carrier. UMA also allows you to move from WiFi to a normal GSM tower and vice versa without dropping a call.
    12-04-09 10:12 AM
    It allows you to use the wifi to make calls with out using your cellular minuets. I consider it a perk with the service.

Thats incorrect. The UMA (WIFI) will just use your WIFI signal to make sure you have full signal. You will still use your minutes.

Use WIFI calling when you can connect to a WIFI signal in a place that has bad reception to gain full signal strength
    12-04-09 10:20 AM
    Soo cool. Wish the S2 did that.
    12-04-09 11:19 AM
    Do anybody know if AT&T will have this UMA service available any time soon? That would be great b/c I have very spotty reception in some parts of my house.... Thanks in advance.
    12-04-09 12:46 PM
    Do anybody know if AT&T will have this UMA service available any time soon? That would be great b/c I have very spotty reception in some parts of my house.... Thanks in advance.
    No, AT&T will not have UMA support in the foreseeable future. T-Mobile invested in this many years ago.
    12-04-09 02:23 PM
    Naive question. Does this mean that when I'm visiting relatives out of the country that I can switch to "wifi only" and then make calls over their home wifi and that won't cost me long distance charges?

PSK
    12-04-09 06:08 PM
    Naive question. Does this mean that when I'm visiting relatives out of the country that I can switch to "wifi only" and then make calls over their home wifi and that won't cost me long distance charges?

PSK
    Yes if you use UMA from a different country and make calls to the US, it is seen as a call originating from the T-Mobile USA network, and there is no additional charge. It's not just the calls but all of your usage, SMS, data, everything will be just like you were still in the US.
    12-04-09 06:20 PM
    Yes if you use UMA from a different country and make calls to the US, it is seen as a call originating from the T-Mobile USA network, and there is no additional charge. It's not just the calls but all of your usage, SMS, data, everything will be just like you were still in the US.
    i'm assuming it's the same with calls from the US to overseas? no roaming charges just minutes taken off? cool stuff
    12-06-09 08:33 AM
    it enables you to call over the WiFi saving the airtime minutes.
    12-06-09 09:15 AM
    UMA/WiFi calls on TMO do not use your minutes IF you have the HotSpot@Home added to your plan for $9.99. The handoff is seamless. I've been using it for 2 years now.

12-06-09 10:15 AM
    If you have an unlimited minutes plan is there any reason to pay the 9.99 for the unlimited UMA as well? Because wouldn't you be "burning" your unlimited minutes without it?
    12-06-09 11:05 AM
    UMA/WiFi gives you better call quality. Also, the unlimited plan with a contract would cost me $25 plus taxes more a month
    12-06-09 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD