i know this may be a stupid question, but what exactley is the webkit and what will it do. I here everyone talking about it and i have no idea what it will mean for bb
    05-17-10 06:06 PM
    its a new browser pretty much for Blackberrys that will work when OS 6.0 comes out
    05-17-10 06:08 PM
    i have read that, but i still dont know what will it do that bb dosent do now. what kind of new features will it have
    05-17-10 06:10 PM
    Here you go. A decent explaination

BlackBerry WebKit Browser Preview at Mobile World Congress! | BlackBerry Developer’s Blog

Clip of the link above without video...check out the video.
    BlackBerry WebKit Browser Preview at Mobile World Congress!

One of my favorite aspects of Mike Lazaridis’ keynote today at Mobile World Congress 2010 was the preview of our upcoming WebKit browser. We have been talking about the upcoming WebKit browser since Jim Balsillie announced it at the BlackBerry Developer Conference in November, so being able to share it with you – the developer community – feels great.
    For everyone who wasn’t able to attend today, we’ve embedded the WebKit demo video above for your viewing pleasure. As you can see in the video, we’ve adapted WebKit to take advantage of the incredible efficiency of the BlackBerry platform and it shows. With the new browser, pages load quickly and dynamic markup like Javascript and AJAX are fast and responsive. With improved panning and zooming it creates a seamless end user experience. The video showcases how the new browser delivers the web with full fidelity on your BlackBerry smartphone. All of this comes with full standards interoperability as shown by the 100/100 score on the ACID3 test.
    As part of his App Planet keynote, Mr. Lazaridis also showcased some of the upcoming capabilities that will be supported by the new browser including:

• HTML 5
    • CSS3
    • DOM L3

Not only will the new browser support all of these web technologies but we are excited to confirm that it will also support two Widget standards – BlackBerry Widgets and JIL Widgets.
    This substantial step forward with WebKit and our platform efficiency will enable content developers to create robust applications for both the Web and Widget development models. This browser will deliver a compelling and powerful application experience for your users.
    05-17-10 06:16 PM
    Thanks for providing helpful info, berryfit.... instead of giving a plain old answer.

"Whats a car"
    "A Car"
    05-18-10 08:59 AM
    Edited title moving to News & Rumors
    05-18-10 09:24 AM
    Here is everything you ever wanted to know about WebKit but were afraid to ask:

WebKit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Summary:
    WebKit is a layout engine designed to allow web browsers to render web pages. The WebKit engine provides a set of classes to display web content in windows, and implements browser features such as following links when clicked by the user, managing a back-forward list, and managing a history of pages recently visited.

WebKit was originally created as a fork of KHTML as the layout engine for Apple's Safari; it is portable to many other computing platforms. It is also used in Google's Chrome Browser.
    So BB is geeting a Browser akin to Safari on the iPhone, but more importantly the engine will be utilized by any App or part of the OS that utilizes web content. So there should be a lot of ways to take advantage of this.

But we will see how well RIM implements this...
    05-18-10 11:04 AM
    i know this may be a stupid question, but what exactley is the webkit and what will it do. I here everyone talking about it and i have no idea what it will mean for bb
    I'm gonna go out on a limb, but you've never searched google before have you?
    05-18-10 11:06 AM
    Who needs google when you got the experts at Crackberry.com!
    05-18-10 11:15 AM
    its a new browser pretty much for Blackberrys that will work when OS 6.0 comes out
    ... ya, pretty much for Blackberries, lol ok, sure...lol

i have read that, but i still dont know what will it do that bb dosent do now. what kind of new features will it have
    Seriously? You've never hit a website that took forever to render and/or didn't render properly at all on a BB? lol
    05-18-10 11:20 AM
    Do you mean new only to BBs, or new just for BBs?
    05-18-10 11:56 AM
    So BB is geeting a Browser akin to Safari on the iPhone, but more importantly the engine will be utilized by any App or part of the OS that utilizes web content. So there should be a lot of ways to take advantage of this.
    Other than the browser, I am most looking forward to improved HTML email rendering. That's the one thing I'd like to see shown in any BlackBerry 6 preview.
    05-18-10 12:15 PM
    Other than the browser, I am most looking forward to improved HTML email rendering. That's the one thing I'd like to see shown in any BlackBerry 6 preview.
    I agree, this is a majorly needed capability. One big one is the ability to zoom in on HTML email content and actually be able to read it. Something you can't do now on BB. This is one of the reasons why I like the way the iPhone does HTML email better. You can zoom in on the email and read absolutely everything in it, even if it has HTML contect with pictures and text in it. It's FAR better then anything BB currently has on it. In ways it's FAR better then what even Android has.
    05-18-10 12:24 PM
    You're never going to get it.
    05-18-10 01:31 PM
    I agree, this is a majorly needed capability. One big one is the ability to zoom in on HTML email content and actually be able to read it. Something you can't do now on BB. This is one of the reasons why I like the way the iPhone does HTML email better. You can zoom in on the email and read absolutely everything in it, even if it has HTML contect with pictures and text in it. It's FAR better then anything BB currently has on it. In ways it's FAR better then what even Android has.
    If RIM makes a decent phone you won't have anything to ***** about anymore....I swear you were abused by a BlackBerry device when you were younger..... Damn. Is it even possible for you to be satisfied? Lol personally I hope they continue pushing out devices and OS's. There should be a Crackberry pool to see how long you will keep using your "worthless" BlackBerry before you finally switch to a "better" device. Just don't use it. Obviously its not compatible with your needs. That's like being in a relationship with someone you hate just so you can talk **** about them. BITTER!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 01:34 PM
    If RIM makes a decent phone you won't have anything to ***** about anymore....I swear you were abused by a BlackBerry device when you were younger..... Damn. Is it even possible for you to be satisfied? Lol personally I hope they continue pushing out ****ty devices and OS's. There should be a Crackberry pool to see how long you will keep using your "worthless" BlackBerry before you finally switch to a "better" device. Just don't use it. Obviously its not compatible with your needs. That's like being in a relationship with someone you hate just so you can talk **** about them. BITTER!

lol, I'll let you know when a better device comes to Verizon... mmmkay? lol
    05-18-10 02:39 PM
    The Incredible seemed pretty sweet. Not gonna lie, I'd rock one if I was on VZW.
    05-18-10 03:07 PM
    chrome = webkit?
    05-18-10 04:10 PM
    chrome = webkit?
    Yepper. It is also where the 'Web' comes from in Palm's WebOS.

05-18-10 04:33 PM
    You're never going to get it.
    I guarantee the webkit engine will render email. I just want to see it.

05-18-10 05:29 PM
    Don't forget, tabbed browsing!!
    05-18-10 07:17 PM
    Yepper. It is also where the 'Web' comes from in Palm's WebOS.

Wait a gosh darn minute!!! Are you telling me that RIM's idea of integrating Webkit's engine into the OS as a whole (as they indicated they did with OS6) is not their own idea? lol I guess that's why R&D was tearing down some Palm Pres when they came out.
    05-18-10 11:54 PM
    Does this webkit supports flash?

05-22-10 06:21 PM
    you should search.....
    05-22-10 06:36 PM
    Wait a gosh darn minute!!! Are you telling me that RIM's idea of integrating Webkit's engine into the OS as a whole (as they indicated they did with OS6) is not their own idea? lol I guess that's why R&D was tearing down some Palm Pres when they came out.
    Hmmm...are you joking saying they probably did do that or is it a fact that they did? Just curious.
    05-23-10 03:13 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD