When I connect to my router via wifi, this comes up instead of edge. Now I know that edge is the mobile network, but I thought uma had something to do with voip. So can anyone help me figure this out? Also, wondering if there is a difference from lower case to caps while it says uma. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 09:26 AM
    UMA is a feature that select T-mobile devices have. It allows the device to make phone calls over wifi in case the traditional tower signal is too weak.
    02-14-10 09:29 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), uses Wifi instead of your carriers cell network, when available.

Wifi provides several advantages including compensation for a weak carrier signal and much faster data access.

UMA requires support from your carrier. Currently Rogers in Canada and T-Mobile (USA) and a couple regional carriers like Cincinnati Bell and Fido, support UMA. If you choose to subscribe to Rogers Talkspot plan, you can have unlimited national calling for $20 per month.

You have noted the display is UMA, but sometimes you get the lower case uma in the display. The difference is your connection to BlackBerry Internet Service is available when in uppercase, but not available when in lower case.
    02-14-10 09:34 AM
    Thank you reed, so I need to subscribe inorder to take advantage. Makes sense, nothing in this world is free, besides stealing a wifi signal lol

02-14-10 09:48 AM
    Thank you reed, so I need to subscribe inorder to take advantage. Makes sense, nothing in this world is free, besides stealing a wifi signal lol
    No you can take advantage of it. When you are connected to UMA and you make a call it just uses your normal minutes. So if you have week signal at home or something you can use UMA. Also UMA is great when you go traveling for example in Europe as it won't cost anything extra to call or send a text as long as you have WIFI around.
    02-14-10 08:51 PM
    unlucky for us at&t folks. oh well we still got a stronger 3g bands than tmo.
    02-14-10 10:56 PM
    unlucky for us at&t folks. oh well we still got a stronger 3g bands than tmo.
    Funny Joke Right There...

you guys are still rocking HSPA, while those of us on T-Mobile have, or will be getting shortly, HSPA+.

These are my averages, have been for the past 3 weeks.
    Last edited by mjneid; 02-15-10 at 08:23 AM.
    02-15-10 08:12 AM
    Def sign up if you use a lot of your minutes each month. It saved tons of my minutes for my wife to use - before we signed up for unlimited minutes.

02-15-10 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD