I really can't find any up-to-date info on the sim lock laws or if there are any. Supposedly late last year there was a law put into place where service providers are required to give you the unlock code if requested.

AT&T did this for me without hesitation but Verizon basically told me to bugger off. I thought it was due to my not having a contract but they just kept claiming that they either didn't know what I was on about or that they were not able to find the information or that they just didn't have the ability to do it. I just want to be able to call them and quote something real of what the law says. My understanding (confirmed by AT&T rep) is each service provider can supply unlock codes for ONLY their branded phones, but everyone is reqiured to do so when asked. I thought.
    07-25-11 10:36 PM
    What phone do you have. If it is a VZW model without a SIM card (straight CDMA) this is all a rather moot point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 12:20 AM
    There is no law that says they HAVE to unlock it.

The law was revisited last year and basically says that you have the legal right to unlock your phone, and to run non-carrier specific software to use your device on other providers.
    07-26-11 08:51 AM
    I really can't find any up-to-date info on the sim lock laws or if there are any. Supposedly late last year there was a law put into place where service providers are required to give you the unlock code if requested.

AT&T did this for me without hesitation but Verizon basically told me to bugger off. I thought it was due to my not having a contract but they just kept claiming that they either didn't know what I was on about or that they were not able to find the information or that they just didn't have the ability to do it. I just want to be able to call them and quote something real of what the law says. My understanding (confirmed by AT&T rep) is each service provider can supply unlock codes for ONLY their branded phones, but everyone is reqiured to do so when asked. I thought.
    Hello, I will try to answer you and also direct you to right sources and examples that will show you the expended version..

Any way...
    What in most named "SIM LOCK" is also can be named as:
    "Simlock", "Network Lock", "Device carrier lock" .. well it's all speaks the same and when talking about Blackberry this is mostly issued by the same way...

There is a Network Security LOCK found on the BlackBerry device..
    Mostly under Options>Advanced>SIM Card - Then the Key MEP2 is used to unlock the NETWORK security wich is mostly Active by the carrier you get the device from!

So, those codes... well i remember when i traveled to Russia 6 years ago and i had a Nokia phone back then and i paid my carrier about $26 for unlocking my phone..
    Well it was in the airport on that's carrier store and the girl there just take the nokia and click ... you know * # 06 # to get the IMEI... puts some blah blah computer and gives me the phone... then comes SMS with the code and instructions... that's how i have unlocked my nokia 6 years ago for $26...

You can do it today just by calling your carrier... in some countries the law limits the carriers and they can't charge the client for unlocking... some other times you will find Blackberry services like BIS not supported by carriers around the world because of the same laws..

For example you can unlock your device for free from some Vodafone carrier operators:

"Prior to May 2008, a limited number of locked Vodafone mobiles were released via a number of official Vodafone channels.

If you have purchased a locked mobile and wish to use another provider's SIM, you'll need to request your mobile's unlock code.

Vodafone New Zealand's official unlocking supplier Brightpoint can be contacted on the following numbers to request an unlock code."
    SOURCE

Also i know that in orange worldwide you can find also free unlocking any many others - just read the law here

And also there are the online unlocking service like me and the other friends on CrackBerry... we charge money but we are trusted, fast...and online so people get to use what they want and this is the free world where you can sell, buy, trade, pay for services and get some for free.. and enjoy life
    What a post

SIM lock, simlock, network lock or subsidy lock is a capability built into GSM phones by mobile phone manufacturers. Network providers use this capability to restrict the use of these phones to specific countries and network providers. Generally, phones can be locked to accept only SIM cards based on the International Mobile Subscriber Identity, which has elements of:
    07-26-11 01:56 PM
    There was talk about this law but was never legislated.
    07-26-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD