Market.
    Make less phones, maybe two or three, that's it.
    Get Google Play so we get the apps.
    Introduce a real good camera.
    Market.

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) and Loc22 like this.
    07-05-15 03:14 PM
    Market.
    Make less phones, maybe two or three, that's it.
    Get Google Play so we get the apps.
    Introduce a real good camera.
    Market.

Posted via CB10
    Get Google play means make an Android phone. Which by the way I agree with.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-05-15 05:30 PM
    Along with other folks on this forum, I think Mr Chen walked into a company that had fell into complacency and had lost its vision for what the consumer had asked for.

I have been a long time user from the early days and have seen the brand all but disappear from the face of the earth here in the USA. I for one would love to see them come out with a product that might get some loyal folks to come back to the brand again.

My main concern which I have said a thousand times is iOS and Android are the household names here now and are embedded into everyday culture here. This is going to make it extremely difficult if not impossible to complete unless your using one of the big two as your primary OS and using iOS is not even an option so we are left with Android.

I here all the concern about security and I think Blackberry is in a unique position to offer a product that would offer a Android based OS with Blackberry security features built into an OS10 skin.

Now you have a product that might draw the attention of both the consumer and corporate market and draw some folks back to Blackberry. I might be going out on a limb here, but I would be first in line to buy one if the device is priced competitively. Just thinking outside of the box.
    I'm beginning to think that's part of the strategy, to have them completely forgotten in the US. Let Android and iOS share 100% of the mind share. And then re-introduce BlackBerry as something new, likely with new branding, QNX maybe. People are always looking for something new, the next big thing.

I also think they should market the Passport like crazy. Show it on TV, in magazines, everywhere. It's one of those devices that's polarizing - you either love it or hate it. I think there would be a lot of people who've never seen one that would go out and buy one.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 08:12 PM
    I'm beginning to think that's part of the strategy, to have them completely forgotten in the US. Let Android and iOS share 100% of the mind share. And then re-introduce BlackBerry as something new, likely with new branding, QNX maybe. People are always looking for something new, the next big thing.

I also think they should market the Passport like crazy. Show it on TV, in magazines, everywhere. It's one of those devices that's polarizing - you either love it or hate it. I think there would be a lot of people who've never seen one that would go out and buy one.

Posted via CB10
    You think becoming largely irrelevant in the minds of American smartphone buyers was or is part of some strategy? That's a stretch worthy of Mr. Fantastic.
    07-06-15 01:48 PM
    Create more free apps...
    blackberry must be open source like iOS & android
    Low price

Goodluck

iPhone 5 16GB Black
    07-06-15 09:01 PM
    Solve the app gap - so launch the slider with a bb10 skin and BlackBerry experience. Do this by Sept back to school.

Once all apps work on the phone - come up with one disruptive differentiator - similar in approach that tmobile has tried to be the uncarrier. Tmobile is a terrible network, but people are going for the value prop. I suggest ensuring bb10 apps run, and can be all purchased at a 1 time premium to be ad free.

Market the new device. - all apps, secure, and can be made mostly ad free

Ensure that the slider phone basics are solid. Battery life, screen, cpu, camera, etc. Can't make any more stupid underpowered devices.

Get BlackBerry friendly celebrities to promote the phone in a cost effective way.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 11:49 PM
    In order to make free apps you need to be able to add ads.

The BlackBerry Advertising Service didn't work... and most of the other ads platform don't support BlackBerry 10...

That's the main reason why Dev don't push free app...

Sent with my amazing french Blackberry Passport.
    07-07-15 01:08 AM
    Unless they get the market share up, Developers won't budge. Very sad.
    07-07-15 01:25 AM
    2. Bring back some form of bis, so that every BlackBerry user can have an enterprise like experience.

Posted via CB10
    I really don't get that. Other than some data compression, BIS brings absolutely nothing to today's smart phone. It was push only from the NOC to the phone. The NOC was pull. And slow. Every 15 minutes until it retrieved a message, and then every couple of minutes until it got nothing, then back to 15 minutes. Every phone now gets emails instantly. And why would I want a third party single point of failure again?
    07-07-15 05:35 AM
    I really don't get that. Other than some data compression, BIS brings absolutely nothing to today's smart phone. It was push only from the NOC to the phone. The NOC was pull. And slow. Every 15 minutes until it retrieved a message, and then every couple of minutes until it got nothing, then back to 15 minutes. Every phone now gets emails instantly. And why would I want a third party single point of failure again?
    Which is the point. In the developing countries data are still very expensive comparatively to purchasing power. Also, lot of people doesn't had PC, and used BlackBerry as way to have push email, thanks to BIS pulling their mailboxes in near-real time.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 06:17 AM
    But you are looking at maintaining an expensive infrastructure to sell low cost, low margin handsets. It's a business model that does not make sense.
    07-07-15 06:27 AM
    BIS is 2-3 $ / month/user for BlackBerry. If they at least stabilise this revenue at current level, it would be very helpful.
    IMO infrastructure is already in place and paid for.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 06:30 AM
    BIS is 2-3 $ / month/user for BlackBerry. If they at least stabilise this revenue at current level, it would be very helpful.
    IMO infrastructure is already in place and paid for.

Posted via CB10
    You don't deal with Enterprise infrastructure for a living, do you? There is maintenance, replacement, rent, power, HVAC, staff, connectivity, etc.
    07-07-15 09:55 AM
    You don't deal with Enterprise infrastructure for a living, do you? There is maintenance, replacement, rent, power, HVAC, staff, connectivity, etc.
    I sort of do, actually.
    If I understand your argument, you assume that there will be OPEX increase on current BIS infrastructure, built for three times of the current user base which will eat all profits from the BIS flatlining instead of decreasing?
    Don't think is valid.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 01:41 PM
    I agree with everything you said here, and I find myself agreeing with most of what you've posted recently. My problem with going Android is that I keep seeing the same thing playing out quarter after quarter in the smartphone industry: two companies(Apple and Samsung) utterly dominant when it comes to revenue and profit, with the rest of the industry(mostly Android OEMS) fighting for scraps. I've yet to see anything that leads me to believe that BB will be any better off using Android than they are with their on OS. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Anything can happen.
    That is also my problem with going Android. It is dominated by Samsung and the rest have very small marketshare with very small margin (due to competition). And if you look at how Samsung did it, they did it thru sheer number of models. In 2014, Samsung released 56 new phone models! Thus they capture every different wants and needs of the client on varied price point. You want a 4" screen, they have it. You want a 3.5" screen they have it. We all know that Blackberry can never release that many models and tie up their assets in inventory.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 05:41 PM
    I sort of do, actually.
    If I understand your argument, you assume that there will be OPEX increase on current BIS infrastructure, built for three times of the current user base which will eat all profits from the BIS flatlining instead of decreasing?
    Don't think is valid.

Posted via CB10
    There are OPEX that can only decrease so much. And the longer you keep that infrastructure running, you will be incuring CAPEX as equipment needs to be replaced. In the long run, there is not enough profit either from devices or monthly fees to keep that infrastructure running.
    07-07-15 07:59 PM
    Create more free apps...
    blackberry must be open source like iOS & android
    Low price

Goodluck

iPhone 5 16GB Black
    They need the apps on android and iOS and those won't be coming for the most part. They don't have nearly the sales to make it worthwhile for developers.
    07-07-15 10:33 PM
142 ... 456