Nah, you don't need to invent a new colour, or a teleportation setting. BlackBerry just need to make a few very good devices, price them to break even, and market them aggressively in key areas. Sorry, it really is that simple. They don't need to take over the world by storm. You get the basics done properly, and go from 1% to 5%, and then people notice. Then you aim for 7% market share with another round of high quality devices. Etc.

What you don't do is release devices with no marketing and commit to failure after public failure. They is not a recipe for 'cost efficiency'. That is a recipe for looking like a effing loser.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 05:30 AM
    Dear BlackBerry,

I don't know how to solve your problem but I really like your phones and BB10. Here's some confusing things I've noticed.

You say your the best devices for secure BES enterprise clients but you keep pretending that Android and Iphones will act like they are just as secure as BlackBerry so enterprise can BYO devices and don't really need a BlackBerry phone because your really a great software company with an emphasis on security. Did I get that right?

Also, to me it looks like your pretending you don't need consumer market to sell devices but you go after this market in India and Malaysia and you don't forget to include Stickers for all those BBM enterprise clients who need secure Sticker communications! But you took away a nice music service in BlackBerry world. I'm confused, who are you selling to?

You know you need great carrier support but you act like you don't need that support by getting into pissing contests with carrier CEOS. I get that, but why let me bypass carriers so I can get your phones unlocked directly from your website, but only the GSM and not the CDMA ones? It's confusing.

You say you want to sell phones and make a profit doing so but don't try to market the phone or create brand awareness. Why, do you feel it's impossible to convince people who already love their androids and Iphones that they need Blackberry? Don't sell yourself short, you have a great product! Isn't that what you should be doing? Isn't perception half the battle when purchasing a phone? Your effort to change negative perception of BlackBerry seems half-hearted to me.

I simply don't understand your BlackBerry logic but I know you have a "plan" but here's my advice anyway...

Your next slider device must have best battery life, and all the latest and be able to run the greatest apps along with a great PKB but also a nice touch screen that's not square and is easy to use and feels great in my hand with a great camera and make it indestructible, beautiful and simple to use with hi res screen. It should be affordable and should be available in CDMA and GSM please. Also please throw in a phaser and a tricorder while your at it!

Wasn't it Chen who said Blackberry could be only "one device away from greatness"? So Blackberry, quit with confusing people and make the next great phone. Stat!

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    06-28-15 09:40 AM
    They are never going to make a come back unless they start advertising!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!
    I don't care what Chen says about focusing on the business / enterprise costumer most of those people have left. Plus blackberry now offers security for all brands of hand sets an option which was a big mistake if he realy wanted the blackberry phone to survive. And There are not enough of the die hard blackberry lover's to keep the blackberry hand set business alive
    The reality is they need to get the app problem figured out which is a subject that has been beat to death. Evan though there is a lot of android apps that work there is still problems with most because the notifications typically don't work correctly on blackberry phones or they load super slowly.
    I messed up my wife's android phone so I set her up with my blackberry z30 and see seems to like it, the other sad thing is she works for the state of michigan and when her coworkers seen that she was using a blackberry they laughed and these are adults anywhere from mid 20's to 60 years olds that's how bad blackberry name tarnished. I loaded the Google play store using the colbalts method. But the reality is 99% of smart phone users are not tinkers they just want a phone that works.
    And as much as I love my blackberry I still have times where I have been considering going to another platform because I'm getting sick of all the work arounds just to get my phone to what it should just simply do straight out the box.
    I'm really starting to think that Chen really doesn't want the blackberry phones to survive. And they give people the feeling of uncertainty because they are all over the place with which direction the phones are going.

Just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 10:15 AM
    Stop trying to be like Apple and Android, focus on what you do best and give your customers what they want. It's pretty well know the love people had for their Bolds, so why not make a Bold for BB10? I know people talk about the classic, but not everyone loves a big phone.Take what people love of OS7 and bring it to BB10, including the calendar from OS7.
    The biggest thing stop trying to do it overnight, I know Blackberry is struggling, but they need to take the marathon approach and not view it as a Sprint.
    06-28-15 10:40 AM
    I don't like big phones. That's why I'm using a q10. But the reality is most people love big phones. Why I don't know. For me the z10 size for a touch screen is the perfect size.
    The other thing that amazes me is all people that I know that used to have a blackberry bold and talk how about how much they miss the key board but are scared to death to switch. even after I show them how they work. And the sad thing is you can see in there eyes and emotional response they want to try it bad but won't

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 10:52 AM
    I don't like big phones. That's why I'm using a q10. But the reality is most people love big phones. Why I don't know. For me the z10 size for a touch screen is the perfect size.
    The other thing that amazes me is all people that I know that used to have a blackberry bold and talk how about how much they miss the key board but are scared to death to switch. even after I show them how they work. And the sad thing is you can see in there eyes and emotional response they want to try it bad but won't

Posted via CB10
    The thing with big screens is that if you want high-end you have very little choice about screen size. When I first used a 5 inch smartphone it was huge compared to my old phone (4 inch), but after a month or so I got used to it. Now when I look at the old one it feed small and cramped. Big screens are very good for media consumption.
    06-28-15 11:03 AM
    Big screens are very good for media consumption.
    My music is so much better with the big screen
    06-28-15 11:29 AM
    Everyone knows they have a poor ecosystem, so I think there's no need to advertise. Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 06:50 AM
    Make a new feature in BBM called BBM Hook-UP, lets you search other BBMers in a 5km radius. Then have the option of adding that person, conversing with someone that isnt on your bbm list, and a option to turn this feature on or off. Oh yea a HELL MORE EMOTICONS and ICONS!!!
    Love the idea and the title

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 06:57 AM
    Get rid of Chen

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    06-29-15 07:30 AM
    Apps.
    Marketing.

I think we on CrackBerry can certainly help out BlackBerry. At least with the apps.
    ( I know, some of you might point out that android apps can be sideloaded and they work very well and almost all the apps are hence available and... )

But hear me out. Android apps do not give you native experience. They don't seamlessly integrate with the os.

Get this. Big sellers like Netflix, Instagram, believe BlackBerry has a very small market ( which is quite true when compared to the number of users on Apple and Android).
    So they would rather focus on developing their products / adding more features to their products for the existing market, than work on a not-so-huge-market platform.

The lack of native apps does not sit well with everyone. Hence many potential BlackBerry customers move to an iphone / android.

Hence this cycle continues. Lack of apps, hence lack of users, and lack of users hence lack of apps.

What can we do:

If devs start building native apps, we can all massively support these apps. If for example, a native Netflix app is developed and all CrackBerry users support it, Netflix might see a good potential in BlackBerry development, and eventually roll out an official Netflix app.
    This will attract more people to BlackBerry.
    And the cycle again begins, only this time, it is a positive cycle:
    Official app = more users = the app is interested in constant support and development = even more (happy) users = even more official apps.

What I propose :

1) let's try out as many apps from BlackBerry World as possible. (maybe some apps are just not for you, so you delete them in a month, week, hour, whatever; but this will help support current devs)

2)Let's make a neat thread (or a completely new website / app) where users can enlist (or vote an app that has been already listed) the apps they need.
    Devs can now select and take responsibility for an app from the list, and post the road-map and developments to the interested users.

In a nutshell, let us heavily support development.

BlackBerry is doing a fantastic job with the hardware and the software. Some marketing and successful development, will definitely make BlackBerry the best (even more so than it already is).

BlackBerry will rise again

Posted via CB10
    leejayh likes this.
    06-29-15 07:43 AM
    You know BlackBerry actually tried to PAY people to make native apps when BB10 first came out, right? You should go back and find the threads and petitions that took place trying to get Netflix to make an app. It didn't work then, it won't work now.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    06-29-15 11:41 AM
    You know BlackBerry actually tried to PAY people to make native apps when BB10 first came out, right? You should go back and find the threads and petitions that took place trying to get Netflix to make an app. It didn't work then, it won't work now.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    Yes. They even gave away devices. I have seen some threads.

Like I said, Netflix would probably not be interested to focus and devote resources to a small market.
    If a native app comes up, which works well, people would stop the "Netflix isn't available, sideloaded takes up battery " or such claims.
    Having all native apps, would attract more people. An increase in user base might then trigger official app development.

I did say, the cycle would be "native - more users - official apps".
    Petitions wouldn't make a company act if they see a small market.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 11:52 AM
    Layoff mostly everyone and start over again by hiring a bunch of millenials and acquiring startups.. oh wait

I think Blackberry has a big culture problem. I don't work there so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of people still attached to the dream of a handset which makes sense considering they still have a handset division... and it wasn't long ago that they were kings of the castle.

I would hire the crap out of people working in IoT and EMM (hard because they're trying to make a profit right now). I would like to see an awesome handset but I think that dream is gone. Even with the crazy specs coming out for the slider (supposedly), wtf does it matter if it can't run any new apps people want? I'd like to see Blackberry partner with Samsung and create Tizen together (maybe with QNX?) so blackberry can get in the home scene. I'd like to see blackberry "secure" the home as well. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. I don't like that Blackberry keeps touting around security because it's always going to be a niche. It is very important sure and I think they stand to grow a lot in terms of IoT security, but, I'd also like to see them come up with new technologies for the enterprise. It's a hard nut to crack because corps rarely spend money on new tech but it can be done. I saw some company come up with a way to "stream" apps to devices which I think is pretty awesome. I doubt google or apple would allow streaming to a non-approved device... but I don't know if there is a need for this kind of thing since there are some "cloud" app store providers now that do relatively the same thing. Who knows?! I think JC and blackberry know much better than I do!

"Laying off mostly everyone" is a mean and asinine comment looking back on it. There are a lot of great people at Blackberry... keep them
    Last edited by mtthwmtthw; 06-29-15 at 12:07 PM. Reason: wanted to add something..
    06-29-15 12:06 PM
    Layoff mostly everyone and start over again by hiring a bunch of millenials and acquiring startups.. oh wait

I think Blackberry has a big culture problem. I don't work there so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong but there seems to be a lot of people still attached to the dream of a handset which makes sense considering they still have a handset division... and it wasn't long ago that they were kings of the castle.

I would hire the crap out of people working in IoT and EMM (hard because they're trying to make a profit right now). I would like to see an awesome handset but I think that dream is gone. Even with the crazy specs coming out for the slider (supposedly), wtf does it matter if it can't run any new apps people want? I'd like to see Blackberry partner with Samsung and create Tizen together (maybe with QNX?) so blackberry can get in the home scene. I'd like to see blackberry "secure" the home as well. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. I don't like that Blackberry keeps touting around security because it's always going to be a niche. It is very important sure and I think they stand to grow a lot in terms of IoT security, but, I'd also like to see them come up with new technologies for the enterprise. It's a hard nut to crack because corps rarely spend money on new tech but it can be done. I saw some company come up with a way to "stream" apps to devices which I think is pretty awesome. I doubt google or apple would allow streaming to a non-approved device... but I don't know if there is a need for this kind of thing since there are some "cloud" app store providers now that do relatively the same thing. Who knows?! I think JC and blackberry know much better than I do!

"Laying off mostly everyone" is a mean and asinine comment looking back on it. There are a lot of great people at Blackberry... keep them
    Why would Samsung need BlackBerry or QNX involved with Tizen? What would be the benefit to Samsung, or the benefit to Tizen? Versus Samsung just sticking with the Linux Foundation, TSG, and Tizen Association, which they are already doing.
    06-29-15 06:00 PM
    Why would Samsung need BlackBerry or QNX involved with Tizen? What would be the benefit to Samsung, or the benefit to Tizen? Versus Samsung just sticking with the Linux Foundation, TSG, and Tizen Association, which they are already doing.
    If it's somehow cheaper in Samsung's mind to just support a ui/data service layer on top of qnx instead. QNX, I would assume, has a lot more robust functionality that Samsung would most likely have to develop (assuming QNX is ahead in terms of total functionality). I would assume if the above is true. Samsung would only support Tizen for so long before the costs of building new functionality wouldn't outweigh the profits. Hey, I was being optimistic here :P I will be the first to admit that I know little to nothing about the embedded systems world.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    06-29-15 06:20 PM
    Drop the hardware business and become software only.
    Lmao, did you read the question? How is that a "comeback"
    06-30-15 02:56 AM
    Bring back BIS and make it cross platform like it once was.
    06-30-15 02:58 AM
    Hire the dudes from Apple's marketing department

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 03:04 AM
    Bring back BIS and make it cross platform like it once was.
    Now that sounds like belfast... :-D

Devices must and will stay... with or without BIS. It's part of an integrated security offering - device, MDM, productivity / connectivity suite :-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-30-15 05:33 AM
    Now that sounds like belfast... :-D

Devices must and will stay... with or without BIS. It's part of an integrated security offering - device, MDM, productivity / connectivity suite :-)

But that argument goes out the window once they clame to make android or iOS just as secure on BES.
    06-30-15 08:00 AM
    Yes, MARKETING!!!
    As KAME and others have said here, GOOD advertising and marketing is needed badly. I realize this costs money as well, but it is absolutely necessary. (Try selling your house without advertising).
    A few years ago BlackBerry put full-page ads with huge dark and ink-consuming photos into newspapers, that must have cost them a mint. Plus, they looked Ugly!
    That probably scared them away from ads.
    I am really frustrated.
    I wish John Chen would read all these posts.
    Ray.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 08:54 AM
    I wish John Chen would read all these posts.
    Ray.
    You don't think there is actually information in any of these posts that is new to Chen, right?

As someone said on another thread, Chen is at a disadvantage compared to the posters on this thread: he is constrained by reality and fiduciary responsibility.

People are throwing out all kinds of suggestions that haven't been thought through, and despite those suggestions having all been thoroughly debunked on 100 other threads as unrealistic, ineffectual, or impossible (given BB's financial and market position), there are always people who think they have the magic idea that will save BB.

BB is more than just John Chen, and his team has had all of these ideas and more, but they don't do them because in the big picture, it doesn't make sense to do them. I think few people here understand the big picture, and how advertising (for example) only works when paired with many other factors which must also be in place at the same time: inventory, distribution, carrier relations, trained carrier staff, strong ecosystem support, positive brand image, etc., each of which costs a lot more money than BB has available to spend in order to get in place.

If it was as easy as some folks imagine, it would have been done long ago - and all of it WAS done at the BB10 launch - the result of which was a $5B write-down and a failed attempt to sell the company at a price lower than most folks here believed possible, because no one who took a look at the books believed it was worth that.

Try to imagine losing $5B in a 9 month period and you get an idea of how quickly you can go wrong in this business...
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 07-01-15 at 01:30 PM.
    06-30-15 09:40 AM
    Bottom line Blackberry has to get their phones in the hands of consumers. If I was Blackberry's Marketing Dept I ask for a 100 of their newest phones and give them away on college campuses coast to coast and let people see first hand how good they are and others will see them and want them. I also believe Blackberry needs a $99 phone, when you can get an Android phone for as little as $29 or a Windows phone for $49 guess which phone a consumer is going to.choose?
    I think price is one of the biggest factors hindering blackberry right now.
    And then they'd have to tell those who got free phones to sideload Android apps because the native app store doesn't have what they're using on iPhones or Android devices.
    06-30-15 12:33 PM
    But that argument goes out the window once they clame to make android or iOS just as secure on BES.
    Chen has always stated as far, as I'm aware, he CANNOT make Android as secure, just because he doesn't have low level access.

Now, if they rolled their own Android kernel, they could certainly even improve on that, but it won't match the security of QNX, as they can't deviate too much from Android (or it won't be Android anymore for compatibility reasons)... with QNX they are free to modify as necessary.

So I guess they won't be claiming that, because Chen has already refuted it.

:-)

06-30-15 01:35 PM
142 ... 23456