The only advantage of having such signature in email is to let the recipient know that the reply was from a mobile device. Merely a quick reply or acknowledgement that the message has been read.

It also serves a purpose, probably a way to save your *** at times and makes your management think you had been super productive

In CB, it's more of fun sake. I hardly read it but then again sometimes it helps to see what OS version or device the other person is on when requesting for assistance.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-02-15 03:29 AM
    There is no purpose other than marketing your phone, or your cellular carrier. That, and providing a readymade excuse for typing badly on a touch screen.
    SomeoneOrOther likes this.
    06-02-15 04:17 AM
    it was one of the very first things I switched consequently off.
    Me too. Though I find almost nobody does ... on any device.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    06-02-15 06:02 AM
    06-02-15 09:17 AM
    I don't get it, why do the majority of posts have to include the disclaimer, "Sent from my BB 10" or "Sent from my Passport" or whatever? I'm currently viewing a demonstration video of the Blackberry Hub over on Blackberry.com and just noticed that the default phraseology if that's even a word, shows the ubiquitous "Sent from my ..." phrase, and i keep seeing that disclaimer if that's what it's supposed to be, and I think I even see it on Twitter. Folks, it's annoying, it doesn't add or subtract to the flow of the thread, and rightly no one should care.
    It's not like the respondent is thinking, "I wonder what type of device he/she is typing on". Me, I'd rather know something important like are they wearing socks.
    Just a peeve type pet of mine.

Sent from my Dell XPS Tower Computer from my living room, and I'm sockless cuz it's summer.
    Forget the "to let people know that i'm on mobile, because typos, etc etc".... The real reason is ADVERTISING... It was used by email clients and tech manufacturers to spread the name of the device/app you're using.
    retomex and SomeoneOrOther like this.
    06-02-15 10:11 AM
    Actually, I'd bet that if Kevin were to read that article today, he might find that he has an entirely different opinion today. That article was from 2012 when tablets were still somewhat new. His opinion then, was that tablets were only or primarily used at home or in workplaces, and that it was just laziness on the user's part to use the tablet instead of their desktop/laptop pc's when emailing (he really didn't see them as on-the-go mobile devices). I don't know that he still harbors that opinion today, since tablets are used pretty much everywhere now.
    donemt likes this.
    06-02-15 10:31 AM
    It's an email signature or if you're seeing it in a thread, it's placed there by an app. It can be enabled/disabled as one pleases.
    And I use a modified version of it so the the recipient of my emails know that it was sent from a mobile device to hopefully forgive grammatical errors. Even w/ all the help from 12 years of school, a great keyboard and predictive text. My spelling leaves much to be desired.

BleedBlk-
    06-02-15 10:39 AM
    FREE ADVERTISING. You are advertising someone's app or email service or device for FREE in every email you send.

If you're like me, you WANT to tell the world you're a BB user, but you don't like giving Apple free advertising, which is why my iOS devices say "Sent from my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer".
    06-02-15 10:41 AM
    FREE ADVERTISING. You are advertising someone's app or email service or device for FREE in every email you send.

If you're like me, you WANT to tell the world you're a BB user, but you don't like giving Apple free advertising, which is why my iOS devices say "Sent from my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer".
    What is the purpose of the "Sent from my ..." phrase?-b1svgxkhiurjy.gif
    06-02-15 12:22 PM
    Advertising...

That's all it says to me!

Same default signature is there for the iPad when setting up your account.

Was with o2 UK when I got my z10 and signature even said sent from blackberry 10 smartphone on o2.

Just advertising... to me it's nothing but tacky..

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 03:36 PM
    Ok...I don't know who started first but for me...it was back in 2007 on my 8300 Curve and it was like - " Sent via T-Mobile Croatia Instant email from Blackberry". That was default signature on my emails. I think T- mobile used that signature with purpose (probably commercial) for push email capabilities thru Blackberry servers which was feature known only from Blackberry at the time . I must admit that it was kind of a "cool thing". It was also kind of message for my clients that they can reach me anytime 'cause I have email OTG. Later...I think...as so many other things , Jobs steal/borrow...whatever.. and used that kind of signature on Iphone , only for commercial purpose. It was a smart move ( in his even smarter idea to pack most of the Blackberrys feature into amazing product) Today, I think...all smartphone producers are using that , also in commercial purposes . Like Samsung - "Sent from Samsung mobile" etc.
    What's very funny...few days ago I receive an email from my business friend and signature was exactly -" Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge". I was like WTF...is that "by default" or just showing of !? Considering being member of this fan site...signature -" Sent from my BB PP" is at least appropriate , but not on official/business email. Anyway...as somebody already mentioned in some thread...Blackberry should ad feature, like , attaching a business card instead of usual/default email signature. For us who email a lot...it would be a "killer feature" . And then...let's see/guess who would be first to copy that !?

Rgds.

Posted via BB PP
    06-02-15 03:42 PM
    In my 'pre-Passport' days I considered it a disclaimer, recipients would understand I was sending them an email from a mobile device so any typos would be quickly forgiven.
    Now, it's a statement of pride. 'Sent from my BlackBerry Passport' and you better bet that there aren't any errors in that message!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Passport: no more excuses for sloppy emails from mobile... :-)

�   Wife currently leaping around for joy with her new toy....   �
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-02-15 04:13 PM
    I wonder if the OP would prefer "Sent from the crack of my a.."

Lol
    06-02-15 05:09 PM
    I wonder if the OP would prefer "Sent from the crack of my a.."

Lol
    Fitting, considering the amount of crap some people say.
    06-02-15 06:17 PM
    I think signatures that identify the users device can be useful in support forums. For email client it seems pretty obvious. In a business environment to tells the recipient that I'm away from my desk. Replies will be short and any request that require a work station will probably be delayed.

BlackBerry Passport 10.3.2.440
    TJ Strozier and donemt like this.
    06-02-15 08:06 PM
    I dont understand why You dont understand..

Via my HTC One M9...
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    06-03-15 09:02 AM
    Your wish is my command.

Posted by someone who is not currently wearing socks.
    06-06-15 09:59 AM
    When I had my 9000, my signature was "Sent via the AT&T carrier pigeon using my BlackBerry".

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-06-15 02:07 PM
    The first of these signatures came from iPhones, this was short before Jobs died. This was a kind of very cheap advertising. Apple misused their curstomers for this and those were happy to shout out all their proudness. I was appalled that my new Z30 sent the first test email with that same idiotic signature and it was one of the very first things I switched consequently off.
    No, BlackBerry was definitely first.
    I remember having that signature on my Pearl way before then.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.798 CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-06-15 02:27 PM
    For work, email signatures can be nice. If mobile devices have the default "sent from" still set, my industry peers will do some mocking.

If you can't take the time to make it personal / professional, there is a chance during the selling and buying process you will miss some details. Regardless of your location, peers expect a reply.

For CB replies, I think it's cool to see what people are using, however in today's world it should not be a big deal.

 Classic
    06-06-15 04:19 PM
    I'm using it because i can!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-06-15 05:16 PM
    What offends the op from others using it?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 08:18 AM
    Well, my two cents are: initially it was clear message to the recipient that the message was written on mobile phone (hence, unformatted and with quite a few typos).

Later on, marketing managers of smartphone producers saw the opportunity and made it marketing message for their benefit (initially, the message was like:'Sent from my mobile phone', and later it become:'Sent from my XXX smartphone'.

Had they implemented HTML compatibility it would be neat way to pu some signature, but this way it doesn't make much sense, especially on BlackBerry Passport. :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 05:56 AM
    He has a point ,I too would like to know if people are wearing socks,or if they just sent me an email while sitting on the can would also be more useful then what device they are using

Passport,Q10,red Z10,Z30, bold 9900
    It's been my signature for years

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    10-02-15 12:34 PM
    I have "Sent from BlackBerry Q10" to show my BlackBerry pride!

We should have a BlackBerry pride day

Posted via CB10
    1raygin likes this.
    10-02-15 11:21 PM
75 123