Hi guys,
    First I have really appreciated the wealth of information contained in this forum Kudoos to the Site and its members!

I have a Blackberry unlocked from the USA Sprint- that I am trying to use in Thailand. I so far have been unable to get a stable service from any of the service providers I have tried [AIS and DTAC]

I contacted Blackberry Customer service via the WEB, and their initial response is :

Quote = We have reviewed the data configuration for the BlackBerry 9630 (PIN 3136C28A) and it appears the cellular provider has configured the services for a 'prosumer' level. This allows data connectivity to the BlackBerry Infrastructure but does not support BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) traffic to the BlackBerry device.

As we are unable to modify cellular service contracts, we would recommend contacting the cellular carrier in question to have them add the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Data data plan. ==End Quote

What is a prosumer level configuration and does anyone know how I can remove this or if I even need to?

I intend to use the phone on a BIS service not a BES service so ??..
    I am waiting for more info from Balckberry customer service, but thought I would ask here in the mean time.

Thanks
    GB
    Last edited by Garvin6600; 07-09-12 at 06:21 AM.
    07-09-12 04:41 AM
    I guess it just means that you're a normal user without need for Enterprise services, that's why connecting to BES is not supported.

I would suggest calling AIS or DTAC, let them know the problem so they can fix the configuration for you. I was on AIS when I was working in Thailand and never had a problem with my connectivity...
    Garvin6600 likes this.
    07-09-12 05:31 AM
    I don't know if it is common for people to use US Sprint phones on your carriers, do they do that often? Besides having the phone unlocked, doesn't the PIN need to be released by Sprint?

By doing a google search, I read that Prosumer is a prepaid type of BlackBerry plan. which is non encrypted, so it probably is incompatible with Enterprise.
    07-09-12 05:59 AM
    I guess it just means that you're a normal user without need for Enterprise services, that's why connecting to BES is not supported.

I would suggest calling AIS or DTAC, let them know the problem so they can fix the configuration for you. I was on AIS when I was working in Thailand and never had a problem with my connectivity...
    Thanks , obtacon I will point this out to AIS
    07-09-12 06:08 AM
    I don't know if it is common for people to use US Sprint phones on your carriers, do they do that often? Besides having the phone unlocked, doesn't the PIN need to be released by Sprint?

By doing a google search, I read that Prosumer is a prepaid type of BlackBerry plan. which is non encrypted, so it probably is incompatible with Enterprise.
    Tequila,
    Phones from the USA previously on US carriers, Sprint, AT&T are not un common..
    I am having issues with this particular model Tour 9630 which appears to be an uncommon / unpopular model here...
    I had asked Blackberry customer support if they could advise of a Blackberry service center here that could perform Diagnostics on this unit to determine if it needed some special tweek or adjustment to work here and they responded referencing the "prosumer" level comment quoted above.. I was unfamiliar with what that was, Prosumer and wondered if this is a setting set by Sprint or the local carrier here I am trying to get to connect. (And if this is set by Sprint, what other restrictions /settings had they put on the phone..)

Anyway, I will keep working at it and see if I can have success.. The solution may be I just need a different model BB..

Thanks for explaining the Prosumer.

GB
    07-09-12 06:19 AM
    Found on Vodafone site :
    "BlackBerry Prosumer 899 Configure up to 10 supported business or personal email a/c's, browse web content, receive and send Instant messages"
    So you might only need to activate your BES account with the dedicated app
    Free Enterprise Activation - Download Enterprise Activation - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

Note : I strongly suggest you call your carrier before installing/running this as there might be unwanted side-effects.
    07-09-12 06:26 AM
    Superfly_FR,

What kind of side effects would you imagine? Most times talking to my service provider or e-mailing them is like communicating with a 2 year old...A two year old Monkey. I am sure they have SOME competent techs, but they are more rare than hens teeth.

In any case will be visiting their service center Tuesday..
    07-14-12 01:53 AM
    Garvin I hate to say this but did you buy the phone from a reputable source? It sounds like this phone was intended for a BES customer (professional/consumer - prosumer) and if that it continues to be attached to a BES entity.

I would contact the person who sold you the device.
    Garvin6600 likes this.
    07-14-12 06:17 AM
    Hi

Qbnkelt,

I received it from my Nephew who bought an I phone, Crazy Kid - lol, , He kindly gave me his BB Tour 9630 .

So it is good.. The Cellular Provider who configured it to prosumer is in fact the provider I activated my service with here. DTAC...I am going to see their tech at the service center Tuesday. I had Forgotten this point so Thanks for reminding me to raise this with them Tuesday. I had forgotten it as so many issues have "popped up". But we are getting thru them one by one..

In Thailand they are dismantling the CDMA service..so this may be causing problems; especially as I have come to understand that the Tour is Primarily a CDMA phone that 'Kinda works" on GSM too. But the Blackberry tech from Blackberry.com 's international desk, I think in UK has not indicated this as an issue.
    He has just been AMAZING. We have been exchanging 3 to 4 e-mails a day since the 8th or 9th of July.. He has just hung in there and we keep probing and troubleshooting . I cannot say enough about how this guy has handled this whole shebang. RIM, Just ASTOUNDING Customer service!!

When I get thru this, I will post a Big Thank you to RIM and detail what all this guy did. Way beyond the call.

The current thoughts are that there could be a hardware failure. Therefore the trip to the service department. Blackberry's are serviced by the Carriers here)

But it may NOT be hardware failure. There are, or appear to be, many problems with the service providers here and they way their frequencies are set up..probably in their own unique spec.. (pure idle speculation on my part ;-)

I was told by the service provider rep that Sprint had Blocked the IMEI.. Well After Hours on the phone for 2 days, Sprint more than confirmed that this is not the case. (Also checked every web link I could find and they ALL showed the IMEI clear and Valid).. just an example of the service level from the provider / carrier here. RIM / Blackberry Also confirms the PIN and IMEI are good to go.

It MAY come down to the Systems / networks here in Thailand just don't work right with this particular model Blackberry, which was not offered here in Thailand. Thailand not being known for its consistencies in anything. But I do not know yet..

Wow, sorry for just rambling on and on..

I will post a conclusion to my saga, once I have one..

Garvin
    07-14-12 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD