If you been with a provider for so long and have no point in switching over whats the point?

I always see these unlock codes being brought up.

Can someone tell me about them?
    12-10-09 07:36 AM
    If you go to sell your GSM phone you can get more money for it. since some providers don't carry every modle. for example here in Cincinnati ohio, Cincinnati Bell doesn't offer the 9700 yet. but since my phone is unlocked i could sell it to a CB customer, if he is willing to pay the price, and use it with his network that doesn't offer the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 07:38 AM
    If you're not going to sell it or use it for another carrier, then you do not need to worry about unlocking your device.
    12-10-09 07:39 AM
    Also aids if you want to use your phone overseas on another carrier (using their SIM cards).
    12-10-09 07:44 AM
    Ok, so I had (still have) a Samsung Blackjack that I left when I got my BB9000 (a far superior phone). I have always been on the ATT network in the southeast (Florida). The Blackjack is still in good condition, so If I wanted to sell it on eBay, how would I unlock it? How would I unlock my BB9000 when I go to upgrade at some point to another BB?

Thanks for the info.
    Pete
    12-10-09 07:55 AM
    unlocking allows one to use their BB with any Carrier.
    12-10-09 08:11 AM
    Ok, so I had (still have) a Samsung Blackjack that I left when I got my BB9000 (a far superior phone). I have always been on the ATT network in the southeast (Florida). The Blackjack is still in good condition, so If I wanted to sell it on eBay, how would I unlock it? How would I unlock my BB9000 when I go to upgrade at some point to another BB?

Thanks for the info.
    Pete
    www.cellunlock.net ... they are by far the best @ getting unlock codes. all you'll need is the IMEI number which you can get by pressing the call button *#06#

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 08:19 AM
    It is truly amazing how so many people pay little attention to the person's posted issue and reply with topics which stray far from that original issue.

The answer is simple.
    Unlock codes are available for several different purposes:
    • In case a person IS switching carriers but wishes to keep their current phone without having to purchase a new unit. (even if still the same model)
    • In case a person is switching carriers and the new carrier does NOT offer the model phone which that person wants. Then they can unlock their current phone and carry it over to the new service provider.
    • Then one pint which WAS actually mentioned, an unlocked phone can bring a higher resale value to the unit, or sell more quickly, because it will function on more networks.

However, if any of these reasons (or more if one can think of them) do not apply to you then there is no need to concern yourself with unlock codes.

See... SIMPLE.
    12-10-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks spammer
    03-22-10 10:01 AM
    unlocking allows one to use their BB with any Carrier.
    That is GSM

CDMA (Sprint VerizonWireless) will not work
    03-22-10 10:28 AM
    That is GSM

There are a few on both networks that are CDMA/GSM. Please research before hand.
    03-22-10 11:27 AM
    I always unlock my phones so when it is time to sell them I don't have to find one. Sell the phones for a few more bucks then.
    03-22-10 11:34 AM
    Good answer D Day! The only one you missed in your summary is when unlocking phones for use overseas when trying to save on international roaming. People get a phone, pop in a local sim and make life more convenient
    03-22-10 04:43 PM
    That is GSM

9630/9530/9550 will work on GSM once unlocked.
    03-22-10 04:52 PM
    I always unlock my phones so when it is time to sell them I don't have to find one. Sell the phones for a few more bucks then.
    True, you always get more value for an unlocked phone.
    03-22-10 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD